What Tune Do I Have?

travisjstevens

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Hi everyone, Travis here. Long time listener, first time caller. I was hoping somebody could help me to determine what kind of tune I have on my car. I bought a 2002 Beetle at an estate sale 3 years ago with 198k miles on it. I now have 280k miles on it and have noticed a decline in fuel economy, as will as a slight excess of black smoke. I’m thinking I need new injector nozzles, so figured I would get a Malone tune along with it. I know the car already has some sort of tune but I’m not sure what, so I took some measurements. Hopefully somebody can give me a ball park guess based on this info.
First off, the car has noticeabley more power and torque than other TDIs that I’ve driven. The turbo also has more lag than those cars. I measured the boost and this is what I found:
Under normal highway cruise at 70MPH, it puts out about 3-4 PSI.
When I pour the coals to it, it peaks at 23PSI before dropping off again.
Like I said, it takes a couple seconds for the turbo to spool up, but when it does, I can really feel it.
I know people have had similar questions on here, but after a couple hours of searching the forums I didn’t come up with any concrete answers.
Thanks!

nikolay_ss

TDI
1.9TDI ALH
Nobody can tell you what tune you have.
23PSI peak is normal even for chipped gt1749v, but this turbo is spooling fast, so it must be your software what makes it to spool at higher rpm, because of clutch reasons, maybe...
What is the hold pressure?
Go make a log on 1st, 3rd and 11th channel. Also 1st, 4th, 11th.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I agree with running logs: if we can see the actual vs. requested boost as well as the other logs suggested, we might be able to better answer you.