'09 Jetta TDI — Importing Canadian Vehicle into USA without TPMS

ph0re

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Hello all,

I have a Canadian '09 Jetta TDI Comfortline. I am in the process of emigrating from Canada to the United States, and in doing so, was hoping to bring my car with my. In attempting to obtain a letter of conformity from Volkswagen, I was notified that my vehicle does not have a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System), and was therefore inadmissible due to its nonconformity.

I have contacted Volkswagen several times to see if there was any way of installing a TPMS, or activating (what I have read to be) the indirect TPMS through the vehicle's ABS system, but all of my efforts have been futile.

Has anyone gone through a similar process, or know of a solution? Any help would be infinitely appreciated.

Blue Putter

TDI
2000 Golf TDI GLS, 2010 Golf Wagon TDI Highline, 2006 Jetta TDI (her's)
A couple of years ago a family member tried to do this with a Canadian 2010 golf wagon. VW won't don't anything for you. We were able to get the ABS TPMS done but needed a letter and invoice from a certified garage that it was done along with a bunch of pictures etc. Then worked to get some other things outlined by a US broker. Ended up not going ahead with it but he outlined all that needed to be done and estimated his fees to get the necessary paperwork done of just over $500. I've attached the broker contact info. There is a list of them on a US website somewhere (can't remember the site) and we checked out a bunch and he was the cheapest and most responsive of a number of them.

Can Am Auto Importers, Inc
1304 Military Road - Kenmore, NY 14217
1-800-691-3810 ext 301 Fax 716-898-8886

ph0re

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Perfect! My car is currently in Niagara Falls, so Kenmore is just 30 minutes away. Thank you so much! I will look into this.

delta18

TDI
2012 Golf Comfortline 6MT
I know this thread is a bit old but I have a similar issue for a 2012 Golf that I am looking to import to the US as I am moving. Does anyone know if there is anyone who would install the system and what the cost is?

At least on the hassle side its getting close to the "sell it and not deal with it" stage. But I like the car and know at this point that I will certainly lose money if I have to sell.

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
I thought TPMS became mandatory on all Canadian sold vehicles in 2008 ? If the Jetta was an 09 sold in Canada it has TPMS. I had a 2007 Toyota FJCruiser that didn't have TPMS. The 2008 ones did by law. I could be wrong about the 2008.

To delta18.
Your 2012 Golf does indeed have TPMS. The indirect system I believe. Built into the ABS wheel sensors so outside the tires.

Last edited:

delta18

TDI
I thought TPMS became mandatory on all Canadian sold vehicles in 2008 ? If the Jetta was an 09 sold in Canada it has TPMS. I had a 2007 Toyota FJCruiser that didn't have TPMS. The 2008 ones did by law. I could be wrong about the 2008.

To delta18.
Your 2012 Golf do's indeed have TPMS. The indirect system I believe. Built into the ABS wheel sensors so outside the tires.
Not according the the non-compliance letter I just received today from VW.

I just called my local dealer to see if they can install/activate it.

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
Not according the the non-compliance letter I just received today from VW.

I just called my local dealer to see if they can install/activate it.
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesafety/roadsafety-1158.htm

Yes. My mistake. It's not required by Canadian law. In the USA anything after September 2007 it is. So you are going to have to spend the money to have it installed to be USA compliant. Lots of money I bet. So what did your dealership say.

hughesjasonk

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MK4;
Worse case you can buy an aftermarket one and install it. They're about 200 bux

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

delta18

TDI
The dealer said he would have to look in to it and get back to me. I may try calling some in the GTA as they may be more familiar with doing it.

Unfortunately a DIY install is not good enough for importing. It needs to be done by a certified mechanic and needs to be fully documented.

I was hoping someone here had had the TPMS installed and knew a mechanic/dealer I could talk to.

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
The dealer said he would have to look in to it and get back to me. I may try calling some in the GTA as they may be more familiar with doing it.

Unfortunately a DIY install is not good enough for importing. It needs to be done by a certified mechanic and needs to be fully documented.

I was hoping someone here had had the TPMS installed and knew a mechanic/dealer I could talk to.
Don't know of anyone in the GTA. Just to let you know my 2011 Golf TDI has TPMS. The so called indirect system. Sensors in the ABS. Not sure why your 2012 Golf doesn't have it.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/tpms-activation-reset-and-disable-coding-with-vcds-mk6-vw/
Some good reading above.

Last edited:

delta18

TDI
Don't know of anyone in the GTA. Just to let you know my 2011 Golf TDI has TPMS. The so called indirect system. Sensors in the ABS. Not sure why your 2012 Golf doesn't have it.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/tpms-activation-reset-and-disable-coding-with-vcds-mk6-vw/
Some good reading above.
I've seen that, that link was what gave me hope that it wouldn't be hard to do.

So far the answer I have from the one dealership I got through to was that they have tried it in the past and ended up having the car not start after they re-coded it, so they aren't willing to try it on another. I may call some non-dealer mechanics as they may be more familiar with how to do it.

drse

TDI
2012 Golf
I've seen that, that link was what gave me hope that it wouldn't be hard to do.

So far the answer I have from the one dealership I got through to was that they have tried it in the past and ended up having the car not start after they re-coded it, so they aren't willing to try it on another. I may call some non-dealer mechanics as they may be more familiar with how to do it.
Anything further on this? I'm in the same boat right now with a 2012 Golf that I inherited from my dad.

duckdive

TDI
05 VW Golf TDI, 11 VW Touareg TDI
Does anybody have more information?
My wife (from Calgary) and I are trying to import her low mileage 2008 VW GTI to the USA. We have had nothing but problems thus far.
I would really love to speak to anybody that has had any experience...