www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old August 17th, 2018, 20:40   #106
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

There are only 5 IIRC that didn't accept the settlement money. The others are forbidden from doing what you ask of forever. I haven't heard of any so far though.

2015 Beetle TDI.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2018, 10:17   #107
flargabarg
Veteran Member

No. You can ride on in to the sunset just fine with no fix.
flargabarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2018, 07:46   #108
TDI321

Fuel Economy: 50mpg@75mph, 68@50, 37@95

my new-to-me 2105 gen3 has phase 2. im getting good mpg. it's a little little slow accel at certain times (possibly high nox times), but never "bad". noticed if I run 90 on highway and then click down to 75 I get better mpg than just setting 75. seems better mpg when like 93F in the afternoon than 75F at night. I like it, no complaints... However, now that my wife knows how to put diesel in it she took the keys and is running all over to show her friends. way better than our 93octane transam we traded that had 156K miles and 18mpg @ $3.47/gallon. Local diesel here is down to 2.81 at the sams club.
TDI321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2018, 10:29   #109
tomo366
TDI Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdi321 View Post
my new-to-me 2105 gen3 has phase 2. Im getting good mpg. It's a little little slow accel at certain times (possibly high nox times), but never "bad". Noticed if i run 90 on highway and then click down to 75 i get better mpg than just setting 75. Seems better mpg when like 93f in the afternoon than 75f at night. I like it, no complaints... However, now that my wife knows how to put diesel in it she took the keys and is running all over to show her friends. Way better than our 93octane transam we traded that had 156k miles and 18mpg @ $3.47/gallon. Local diesel here is down to 2.81 at the sams club.
2105 ?
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black!
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2018, 10:37   #110
capt_slow
Veteran Member

My 2015 GSW has been in the shop for about a month now. With about 9900 miles on the clock, it somehow got the 2A and 2B kits. The car is done, but the dealer cant release the car to us because according to VW the car hasnt been sold yet.
Old August 19th, 2018, 15:39   #111
93celicaconv
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_slow View Post
My 2015 GSW has been in the shop for about a month now. With about 9900 miles on the clock, it somehow got the 2A and 2B kits. The car is done, but the dealer cant release the car to us because according to VW the car hasnt been sold yet.
Do you own the MY2015 GSW?
93celicaconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2018, 15:42   #112
93celicaconv
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI321 View Post
my new-to-me 2105 gen3 has phase 2. im getting good mpg. it's a little little slow accel at certain times (possibly high nox times), but never "bad". noticed if I run 90 on highway and then click down to 75 I get better mpg than just setting 75. seems better mpg when like 93F in the afternoon than 75F at night. I like it, no complaints... However, now that my wife knows how to put diesel in it she took the keys and is running all over to show her friends. way better than our 93octane transam we traded that had 156K miles and 18mpg @ $3.47/gallon. Local diesel here is down to 2.81 at the sams club.
What is your local regular 87 octane gasoline prices?

Would love to see $2.81/gal diesel prices around here - it's about $3.22/gallon where I am in Wisconsin.
Old August 20th, 2018, 18:41   #113
bglf83

TDI(s): Jetta

My car has been at the dealer for a week. They somewhat indicated they broke a bolt, so I assume its a pain to drill out or something.
bglf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2018, 22:33   #114
capt_slow
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93celicaconv View Post
Do you own the MY2015 GSW?

Yes. We bought it new from the dealer last year.
Old August 21st, 2018, 04:22   #115
93celicaconv
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_slow View Post
Yes. We bought it new from the dealer last year.
Is there something with your registration certificate you have that doesn't convince VW the car was previously sold to you?

You might want to make an appeal to the CRC - although this isn't am emissions settlement issue.
Old August 21st, 2018, 15:59   #116
Lincoln
Veteran Member

Just read this whole thread. Many of the reported changes are exactly what VW said to expect in the letters they sent about the Phase II fix:
• Sport Mode Changes – While driving in sport mode the automatic
transmission will shift earlier at low accelerator positions for improved driving
comfort, resulting in lower engine speeds at constant driving.
• Improved Vehicle Drivability – Vehicles with automatic transmissions will
exhibit improvement in throttle response, a smoother acceleration and
improved driving experience.
• Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) consumption – DEF consumption for your
vehicle may increase. The amount of the increase will vary. Some drivers will
experience no change, but others will use 1% - 14% more DEF on average
(also known as AdBlue®). The amount of the impact will depend on driving
style and other factors. This means some drivers will need to refill the DEF
tank more frequently

Other changes they mentioned that I don't recall reading on here are:

• Engine sound may differ from your vehicle’s prior operation. Although
unlikely, the engine tone may vary slightly after the emissions modification
is complete. This will not result in any noticeable change in the driving
characteristics of your vehicle.
• An update to the engine cooling fan operation will allow your vehicle to cool
more efficiently and may alter the sound that the vehicle fan makes once the
engine has been turned off. This update is not related to the emissions issue,
and is addressed in the spirit of continued vehicle performance
improvement.
High Altitude Shift Patterns - For Golf Automatic Transmission vehicles, the
shifting behavior has been adapted to run with slightly higher engine speeds
at high altitudes.
• On-board diagnostic (OBD) system changes – Your OBD system’s
operations will be modified and, based upon the agreement with EPA and
CARB, certain emission thresholds will be adjusted. These thresholds set
new malfunction detection limits that are compliant with agreements. These
new levels may be above what inspection and maintenance regulators are
familiar with. We don’t expect you will have any issues, but the extended
warranty coverage outlined in this booklet offers additional protection if your
vehicle is still covered under warranty at the time of inspection. These
changes should not be noticeable to a driver and do not impact driving
characteristics.

The reported sluggish behavior isn't addressed. No surprise there.

From the same letter, and as already pointed out:
"At the time of this service, you will receive a
complimentary maintenance service with a free tank of fuel and have the
aforementioned hardware installed at that time."
I could see a dealer arguing about the definition of "maintenance service," but the free tank of fuel is indisputable. Anyone have luck getting them to do a full DSG 40k service? I'll be coming up on my 40k around the time Phase II is available - would love to get them to do the full service for free, but I won't hold my breath. I will hold out for at least the oil/filter change.
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2018, 16:50   #117
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Good luck if you think you can get them to do a DSG service. A "complimentary maintenance service" is more like check and fill the windshield washer fluid and check the battery voltage and air in the tires.

2015 Beetle TDI.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2018, 18:54   #118
CincyJSW

Quote:
Tomorrow, my MY2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium gets the Phase 2 emissions modification. I am just barely over 19,000 miles now, so I'm expecting just the NOx sensor w/exhaust pipe modification, ECU & DSG re-flashes.

I did a baseline run today that gave me a route MPG, and I did testing on shift-points when in Drive and Sport modes (accelerating at a snail's pace, feathering the accelerator to climb speed as slowly as possible, on a flat paved road). The baseline should be very reproducible after Phase 2 is complete. The weather here locally is supposed to be the exact same the next 3-4 days regarding temperature, no rain, and very light if any winds. I intent to do the circuit again after Phase 2 at the same time in the early morning, so traffic is light (really non-existent on the country-side roads I took). No air conditioning, no headlights, no auxiliary power items turned on, except the Navigation map was on.

On the 71 mile route, I got 60.0 MPG on the display. Pretty steady 55 MPH or slower at times (never went over). I know this is a bit high compared to reality (about 3% high regarding my average taking fuel purchased and miles on the odometer), but in this case, comparing pre & post Phase 2 using the same method will produce the same %-effect of the Phase 2 fix, so I'm good with that.

After running this route (drivetrain all warmed up), I checked the current (post Phase 1, pre Phase 2) shift points on the DSG.

First, in Drive mode:
  • 1st to 2nd: 1200 RPM
  • 2nd to 3rd: 1800 RPM
  • 3rd to 4th: 1600 RPM
  • 4th to 5th: 1500 RPM
  • 5th to 6th: 1400 RPM
Now in Sport mode:
  • 1st to 2nd: 1200 RPM
  • 2nd to 3rd: 2000 RPM
  • 3rd to 4th: 2000 RPM
  • 4th to 5th: 2000 RPM
  • 5th to 6th: 2000 RPM
I will not have any data on torque or HP, as I don't have access to a dyno. I may provide a perspective based on "feel".

I'll report back later this week on what the comparable post Phase 2 effects are compared to the information above.

Why do all the folks with manual newer TDIs on here say you should be shifting no lower than 2500rpm cold and around 3000-3500rpm warm if the DSGs shift SO MUCH EARLIER?! And I also regularly read that anything below 1800rpm is lugging the engine - what gives, are you concerned?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CincyJSW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2018, 06:32   #119
93celicaconv
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJSW View Post
Why do all the folks with manual newer TDIs on here say you should be shifting no lower than 2500rpm cold and around 3000-3500rpm warm if the DSGs shift SO MUCH EARLIER?! And I also regularly read that anything below 1800rpm is lugging the engine - what gives, are you concerned?!
The information above is based on lightest possible acceleration. A moderate or hard acceleration would shift the points higher in the engine RPM range. I was only trying to evaluate if the emissions modification from Phase 1 to Phase 2A affected DSG shift-points (which some say happened). My data suggests no changes were made.

That said, at this very, very feathered acceleration level, there was no post-shift engine lugging. I would say doing the same kind of acceleration with a manual transmission, you would not run the engine up to 3000-3500 RPM before up-shifting either. Recognize the 2.0L TDI engines have peak torque around 2000-2100 RPM also.
Old August 22nd, 2018, 06:42   #120
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

Quote:
Recognize the 2.0L TDI engines have peak torque around 2000-2100 RPM also.
Published is 1750.
'96 Passat variant
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio
Chris Bell is offline   Reply With Quote