www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > OBD Scanners

OBD Scanners Discussions on using On Board Diagnostic (OBD) scanners/ Diagnostic Equipment related to TDIs

Old August 17th, 2018, 11:51   #1
classy_gene

TDI(s): 2002 Bettle
Default VAG401 instructions and codes

I bought the VAG401 to reset some items on my 02 Jetta. Is there better instructions to be found out there in regards to how operate the the analyzer and using the codes? I need to reset some things and it asks to enter channel numbers and security number??? Where am I suppose to get those from? Thanks in advance.
classy_gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2018, 14:34   #2
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Don't you have customer support?

2015 Beetle TDI.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2018, 18:01   #3
classy_gene

TDI(s): 2002 Bettle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
Don't you have customer support?

They are from China, not any support
classy_gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2018, 18:20   #4
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

Exactly.

It appears you're asking for help for a pirated version of a product designed and sold by a supporter of this board... it's unlikely to be forthcoming.

Note: The above is to the best of my knowledge- but at the end of the day simply interweb opinion, worth EXACTLY what you paid for it, and if used done so at your own risk.
Vince Waldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2018, 00:24   #5
Fixmy59bug

Fuel Economy: Check my Fuelly Tag for most up-to-date numbers

Guys, just to play devils advocate here, have you even checked into what the Vag401 is?

It looks nothing like a VCDS and looking at the pics of the scanner, it doesn’t appear to function even remotely similar to VCDS.

Don’t get me wrong here, I am not affiliated with this company any more than I am with the Ford motor company because my last name is Ford. I would never use this system because I love my VCDS, the user interface is much easier to follow, and the customer support is phenominal.

But to assume something is a knockoff and therefore will offer no support to a new user kinda makes the veteran users here look bad.

And just a bone of contention for me, no one from Ross-Tech has posted on these forums in a few months.

They have their own forums now. I tried asking a question and they told me “Come to our forum and we will be glad to help you”.
Old August 19th, 2018, 04:46   #6
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

I have one of those, I bought it off eBay maybe 6-7 years ago, before I even knew about vcds. There are a couple of you tube videos and that’s about all the support you’re going to get. Even if there was support you wouldn’t understand, unless you speak Chinese.

I use the 401 if I just want to see what code has popped up. It does give the vag code instead of the generic version. It’s quicker to plug that little scanner in than to break out the laptop. However if you’re planning on driving your car for any amount of time though get the vcds.
Tdijarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2018, 07:39   #7
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

Fair point, hence the word "appears". The 40x's I'm familiar with were rip-off clones of Vag-com software and a cloned hardware dongle.

If this is not the OPs case... carry on. If it is a pirated clone then I'd stand by an assertion that help on this forum may be tricky to obtain... and that's all I'm suggesting.

Note: The above is to the best of my knowledge- but at the end of the day simply interweb opinion, worth EXACTLY what you paid for it, and if used done so at your own risk.
Vince Waldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2018, 09:52   #8
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

VAG401 is a handheld tester designed for VAG products. It looks like most other Chinese ODBII testers but it does speak VW's proprietary language. It can talk to individual controllers, it can do coding, adaptations, measuring blocks, and output tests just like VCDS. The Chinese may well have used VCDS to learn about VW's communications protocols, but this product is definitely not a VCDS clone.

However, as the OP has learned, it can do all of that stuff but it doesn't tell you how to do it or what to do. You are on your own to try to figure it out for yourself. Instructions are minimal and support is pretty much non-existent. A lot of VAG401 users probably rely a lot on the Ross-Tech wiki, but that is no substitute the adaptation maps and long coding helper functions built into VCDS. A VAG401 can be purchased on eBay, Amazon, and lots of other places. Compared to VCDS it is cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Have Fun!

Don
Old August 19th, 2018, 14:03   #9
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

The channels are listed in MoGolf's sticky in this for "measuring blocks and groups". The security code is something dumb like 1234, search it up.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2018, 18:29   #10
wonneber
Veteran Member

I think 12233 is one of them.
wonneber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2018, 09:58   #11
BeartheBruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixmy59bug View Post
Guys, just to play devils advocate here, ....

And just a bone of contention for me, no one from Ross-Tech has posted on these forums in a few months.

They have their own forums now. I tried asking a question and they told me “Come to our forum and we will be glad to help you”.

The long and short of it is that we cannot be in all places for all people. We created our forum to help us help users. We were trying to participate in 15 forums with a small staff. We handle nearly 1500 support emails a month. We handle nearly 1000 phone calls a month. And none of that represents all the work we do support our partners around the world who also trying to support users.

So yes, we made a decision that we would have our own forum - one place - where we would be more mindful and timely in answering users questions.

Ross-Tech has always supported the TDiClub and we continue to do so. However, we don't have the resources to be in the forum as much as we did in the early years.

Sorry you find that a point of contention. We cannot be all things to all people.

Concerning the VAG401 - yes, they used VCDS to build their tool. No, it is not a knock-off. It is a decent code reader. As with many Chinese products, language is a problem and support is also a problem.
BeartheBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2018, 10:06   #12
borntofli

200 bucks for the new hex-v2 is a great investment.... good for 3 cars, that should be about 60 years of vw ownership if you just use it yourself....

I just bought one, and guaranteed im the poorest member here...
borntofli is offline   Reply With Quote