www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old August 12th, 2018, 19:31   #3241
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

Finally "finished" the tongue extension on my trailer referenced in post 3219 above.

- Made a box for the tool box to sit in ahead of the railing
- Added a spare tire
- Re-located the jack eliminating the "clamp" system and did a direct bolt on to the tongue
- Added a handle to the tongue
- Added 24 feet of 2x4 box tube for reinforcement
1) 8 foot piece directly above the original for vertical stiffness
2) 8 foot pieces going out to the corners for side/side stiffness

All the joints are mitered, chamfered and TIG welded full perimeter where possible - I'm getting better at TIG'ing aluminum - over 22 feet of weld in this tongue extension!

The bounce/jerk/tug is as good or better (less) than before I extended the tongue.

Next step - 2nd axle with hydraulic surge brakes. Need to get a few other projects done first though

03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2018, 21:14   #3242
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

FUB, with an empty tool box on the trailer and the spare bolted down, what is the tongue weight?
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Frostheater, Baldwin Fuel Filter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2018, 22:18   #3243
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

The tongue weight was originally 155 lb (measured) and is now 102 lb (by sum of moments calculation). This does not include the spare, so maybe 110? now?

The tool box is full of ratchet straps, bungee cords, corner protectors, etc.
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Old August 18th, 2018, 10:24   #3244
jason_
Veteran Member

I know that trailer backs up so easy.

Long tongues = towing orgasm.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
jason_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2018, 06:52   #3245
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Isn't it more the distance from the ball to the axle? I agree that the long tongue helps.
Old August 20th, 2018, 09:24   #3246
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

I think it’s the ratio of ball to axle distance: track width of the wheels. My setup above is about 2:1
Old August 20th, 2018, 16:49   #3247
jason_
Veteran Member

Hitch to axle.

I'm so ****ing stupid.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
jason_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2018, 21:47   #3248
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix_Until_Broke View Post
It used to look like this...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The new and improved one looks like this...

[IMG][/IMG]

It's a pair of 1.5" x 0.125" wall box tubes with a 3" x 0.625 top plate to mount the ball.
It needs a coat of paint and a 1" hole punched in for the ball, but otherwise I like how it looks.
It should be much stronger in the side to side direction (think wagging trailer) and less suceptable to fatigue with the large smooth radius on the inside of the bend. I tacked the box tubes together then made 4 cuts through the 3 sides leaving the inside corner un-cut. I then bent the tubes to fit the curve of the back bumper then welded the now wider gaps full so it's like a formed piece of 1.5" x 3" box tube with a 1/4" thick reinforcing web in the middle.
I'll try and get some pictures of it on the car once I get it painted and mounted up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix_Until_Broke View Post
Actually, it's much more stout than it looks I think.
The chains attach to the point right below/behind where the original drawbar broke and it held up to the tug from the hitch breaking and dragging the trailer with a blown tire at 70 MPH.

The two bolts are 5/8" Grade 8 in shear so they have a yield load of 73,631 lbf so I think it's good there.

Immediately behind the two mounting bolts on each side are some forward mounting cross braces that attach to the "frame" up behind the rear tire. This distributes the load nicely between 4 locations on the rear of the car and triangulates the structure nicely. I have pictures but can't post them here at work...

EDIT - Picture of forward reinforcement
[IMG][/IMG]

The two mounting bolts attach to the car through a 1/4" plate bracket mounted between the "frame" and the 5 mph bumper. There's a piece of ~1-1/2 box tube welded to the plate with a 5/8" nut welded inside the top end of the box tube. The bolts go in from the bottom and hold the cross bar.
The only thing I think I've seen that is more stout is some guy from Wisconsin removed his crash bumper and used 3x3x1/4 stainless box tube for the cross member, ran rails down the frame like the bosal setup and then welded a bosal like deal down from the middle of the 3x3 cross tube and then back up the outside of the bumper cover.
How is your hitch mounted?

The trailer is probably 2000-2500 lbs - those tables are steel with 1/2" thick tops, 2x2x1/4 steel legs/frame work.
So, way back in 2010, I said I'd get some pictures of how my hitch was mounted behind the bumper cover....well, last time I pulled my trailer, I heard some extra noises I hadn't noticed before, so I pulled the bumper cover off thinking I might have finally loosened a bolt or something but either way a good chance to get some pictures to share.
Well, when I took the cover off, I was a bit surprised to find that all the attachment points were fatigued and broken in the body of the car.

Ooops - Looks like the lower reinforcements were the only thing doing all the work for quite a while!

There's not much besides paint and some seam sealer holding those nuts in.
And finally, here's how the two brackets originally fit in with the lower reinforcement bars as shown in the posts above.

All things considered, it's held up well for what I've put it through. There's a new design in the works that I'll try and fab up this weekend and get some pictures as well. It'll be significantly stronger than this setup
Old August 22nd, 2018, 08:02   #3249
romad
Veteran Member

FUB, why not use the mounting points DESIGNED by VW for that purpose? They are the two box channels in your pictures, and each one has two bolt points on the side facing outward. They are behind the wheelwell liners and are covered with tape and probably rustproofing, mine were. Here is a photo to help locate them.

The Oris-Bosal hitch I installed had M10 nuts welded on the the bars that went inside the channels and used M10x32 bolts though if you fab your own mount, 3/8" should work.

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2018, 10:48   #3250
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Sorry FUB, but I made, and found, that mistake several years ago. Those 4 bolts can take no more load than holding the impact bumper in place.

I cut a flat plate, roughly in a "L" shape and attached it to a section of box tubing. That tubing bolted to the frame rail like the OE hitch, and the plate sat flush with the body where the stock bumper bar attaches. I then sandwiched the stock bumper bar between my hitch and the plate. It solved the legal issue of keeping my 5mph bumpers and allowed me to have a sturdy hitch.

Wish I had some pictures of the part that goes down the frame rail, but the car is gone.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2018, 12:02   #3251
phaser
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51 MPG B-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
Here is a photo to help locate them.

No photo. Is it me, or is the photo missing?

Air Filter - EaA208
/ Transmission Oil - VW G50
phaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2018, 13:47   #3252
TDIJetta99
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: low 38, high 61, avg 48

I remember expressing some concern with that mounting.. I'm surprised it took that long for it to fail. It's a good thing you noticed something wasn't right before it came completely off

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIJetta99 View Post
That's probably fine for what you tow depending on how you drive.. What I would be concerned about is when you put weight down on the tongue, it wants to bend the bolts, kind of like rotating the hitch down.. I can see something like that breaking off after repeated dips in the road with a decent amount of tongue weight, like having a full sized motorcycle on a trailer.......
Safety chains don't do anything if the hitch comes off haha..
Old August 22nd, 2018, 13:51   #3253
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaser View Post
No photo. Is it me, or is the photo missing?

It shows when I come here. The photo is a linked thumbnail of this one:

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.ph...bolts&cat=5830

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)

Last edited by romad; August 22nd, 2018 at 14:57.
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2018, 14:08   #3254
phaser
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51 MPG B-20

OK thanks for the link, it works.

At the time, not even the thumbnail would show. It's there now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
It shows when I come here. The photo is a thumbnail of this one:

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.ph...bolts&cat=5830

Air Filter - EaA208
/ Transmission Oil - VW G50

Last edited by phaser; August 22nd, 2018 at 14:11.
phaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2018, 17:00   #3255
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

So, how much did the longer tongue really help, with the "before" having the hitch not actually bolted to the car and all.

I drilled holes in the bumper struts, welded them solid, then welded flat bar on the bottom with captive nuts to bolt to the two large provided holes in the subframe back there. One's a few inches inside the car, and the other's a foot or so, on a golf at least. Jetta's probably a little deeper in there with the extension pieces and all...

Last edited by [486]; August 22nd, 2018 at 17:02.
[486] is online now   Reply With Quote