www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old August 15th, 2018, 21:52   #1
El Dobro
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 115 MPGe
Default Electrify America (VW) Commercial

I saw this commercial on TV, it's from Electrify America, which was set up by VW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=KRgcJusf280

https://www.electrifyamerica.com/
Now, I drive more, worry less.
Penguin -The other white meat.
El Dobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2018, 04:37   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Yeah, part of the wrist slapping from Dieselgate. They also bought a bunch of new buses for our area schools.... that are diesel powered.

My Facebook feed is chock full of stuff like that, I just add to the comments asking when the diesels will be back, and post pictures of odometers with over 300k miles showing.

The dumb thing is, Volkswagen only has the eGolf on offer here, and just in certain areas, and it is a pretty lackluster EV overall.
Old August 16th, 2018, 10:45   #3
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Default 300,000 mile odometer pictures

Like this?

https://www.tesloop.com/blog/2017/8/...ntenance-costs
Old August 16th, 2018, 10:47   #4
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

No, god no.... Ugh. That dash makes me cringe.
Old August 16th, 2018, 11:01   #5
El Dobro
Veteran Member

And we also have a Tesla X that hit 300,000 miles.
https://insideevs.com/model-x-300000-miles-2-years/
Old August 16th, 2018, 14:01   #6
El Dobro
Veteran Member

Erick Belmer's 2012 Volt "Sparkie" just hit 450,000 miles.
Old August 17th, 2018, 08:01   #7
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2018 to end of April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dobro View Post

Erick Belmer's 2012 Volt "Sparkie" just hit 450,000 miles.

Wow, 32 miles range on a FULL charge. Not even enough to drive to the mall and back.
In my case I drive about 3,000 miles every fall to my winter destination and back in the spring.
How long would that take in a VOLT or any other electric vehicle?
My TDI does it in 4 1/2 days at approx. 600 miles per driving day!
All LED interior bulbs. Several VCDS mods. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Malone DSG tune. Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes. LED DRL's. 24mm H&R rear sway bar. Phase 1 & Phase 2 done.
Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2018, 08:36   #8
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta_Pilot View Post
Wow, 32 miles range on a FULL charge. Not even enough to drive to the mall and back.
In my case I drive about 3,000 miles every fall to my winter destination and back in the spring.
How long would that take in a VOLT or any other electric vehicle?
My TDI does it in 4 1/2 days at approx. 600 miles per driving day!
You do realize that a Volt also has a gasoline engine, so you can just drive and drive and drive as far as you want, as long as there are gas stations, right? Your trip would take just as long in a Volt as it does in your TDI, but if you plugged it in at your overnight stops, over 120 miles of your total driving would have been on electricity.

32 miles of EV range on a full charge is pretty good for a 7+ year old Volt with nearly a half million miles on it on the original battery pack. They only had about 40 miles brand new (it's a guess-o-meter, so displayed range can vary based on temperature and recent driving history). A new Volt has closer to 60 miles of EV range and better fuel efficiency on gasoline.

Last edited by VeeDubTDI; August 17th, 2018 at 08:44.
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2018, 19:58   #9
El Dobro
Veteran Member

I've seen the commercial three times tonight, already.
Old August 20th, 2018, 02:47   #10
itsmejerry
Veteran Member

What about natural disasters /evacuations? Nothing is better than a diesel.

I have lived along the Gulf Coast, and Southeastern Atlantic coast of South Carolina, My criteria for buying a car was solidified YEARS ago when I had to participate in a hurricane evacuation. Diesel is the way to go.

Maybe not hurricane evacuations, but what about in Canada 2-3 years ago when a fire wiped out Ft McMurry? EVERYONE was forced to evacuate.

It took 12 hours to travel from Charleston S.C to Columbia SC during Hurricane Hugo. It's normally a 2 hour drive. But when everyone evacuates from the coast in a 2 day period, traffic moves at 10 mph for hundreds of miles

Hurricane Ivan forced evacuations from Florida's peninsula all the way through the Gulf coast. MILLIONS of people on the road during that one from Houston to Tampa as we all scrambled inland to get away from a Cat 5 storm. Ever see the Southbound lanes on an interstate during a hurricane evacuation? EVERY lane on both sides of the median is moving inland. 4-6 lanes of bumper to bumper traffic as far as the eye can see. All those people are ahead of you for gas, food and a place to stay.
Oops... There's no where to stay. Gotta keep driving. Along with everyone else.

For those who evacuated, evacuations were complicated by gas stations running out of gasoline, full hotels, full rest stops, closed restaurants, etc. Think you're going to make it 250 miles inland to get unleaded gas? Guess again. Every station ran out yesterday when the first 300,000 people beat you out of town and they can't get trucks to the area, all the interstates are in emergency inland only mode.
Electric vehicle? Good luck making it to a charging location. You can always bring an extension cord, wait-- you'll have to buy a $500 Evanex adapter pack, so you can plug into 4 different types of wall plugs. Hopefully you'll find one that will allow you to park within 25 feet- the length of your extension cord with super-heavy-duty rated amperage. Don't worry, after a 12 hour charge you'll have 132 miles of "range". Unless you use your wipers, lights, and AC. or move slower than 60 mph. You might as well go inland for 150 miles and just park in a Walmart parking lot and hope that you've picked a place where a tornado wont touch down.

Oh well, everyone will go home in 3 days when it passes. Every power line within 200 miles of the coast is down. And even buried power lines are turned off by the power company because so many lines are down to save whatever transformers are still functional.
Your gasoline powered car can go 270 miles in bumper to bumper traffic before needing gas? uh oh.

For me- I'll keep my TDI's.
Even if Im not evacuating from a hurricane, someday I might be part of some mass-evacuation for something.
By the way-- Isn't the Super-Volcano under Yellowstone getting more and more active?
Hmmmm.. I better top off my tank. :-)
itsmejerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2018, 07:50   #11
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

I'm not surprised they picked the Bolt to boost. Not a great looking car, and sales are slumping with increasing availability of the model 3. Yet being American made probably satisfies some requirement of the deal.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2018, 08:30   #12
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmejerry View Post
Unless you live in Charlotte where they shut the pipelines down for incoming fuel days before the hurricane is supposed to hit exactly at this spot on the Gulf. Everything is in short to no supply and diesel is the last thing started back up.
Old August 20th, 2018, 08:49   #13
gulfcoastguy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
Unless you live in Charlotte where they shut the pipelines down for incoming fuel days before the hurricane is supposed to hit exactly at this spot on the Gulf. Everything is in short to no supply and diesel is the last thing started back up.
I disagree. All heavy equipment used in road repair etc is diesel. They had the weight enforcement people finding tankers of diesel after Katrina and guiding them in. In many gas stations diesel was the only tank that had fuel remaining. Most farms and contractors had their own reserve tanks and didn't compete with light transportation. Charlotte is the exception that doesn't prove the rule. Stupidity is not universal. Lack of electric power to run the fuel pumps is typically a far bigger problem along with damaged roads and bridges.
gulfcoastguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2018, 11:44   #14
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Most of the heavy equipment places also have their own fuel storage tanks and pumps. If the city had to, they would have pulled fuel from the school bus depot. That doesn't help the average consumer though. I know Charlotte was the exception but those cases where the pipeline is shutdown effect all of the Carolinas, parts of Georgia, and parts of the Virginias. I've lived through both types of situations here, You could get gas but not diesel, or you could get diesel but not gas.
Old August 20th, 2018, 17:04   #15
nwdiver
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 320wh/mi; ~90mpge

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmejerry View Post
When Florida was evacuated for Irma the Teslas did better getting out than non-EVs because the gas stations were dry. In NJ after Superstorm Sandy EVs were once again the better option in a lot of areas because electricity was easier to get than gasoline. I added an AC coupled off-grid inverter so I'll be able to charge my car from solar if the grid is down for an extended period of time.

Harvey was a great example of what happens when everyone gets worried about fuel...
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote