Phase 2 fix, when and what?

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
Looking forward to getting this done and not having any commitments to VW there after. Having agreed at purchase in April that I'd have the phase 2 fix done on the "new" 2015 TDI when available, pretty sure this was a condition of buying the car.

So far I've asked the dealer and VW customer care for more details and both can only quote this brochure, word for word, they can't explain page 6, quoted below:
https://www.vwdiesellookup.com/pdf/VWCourtSettlement_Emissions_Disclosure_Gen3_Final.pdf

Emissions Modification Phase 2 :
(available beginning in early 2018 )

The second part of the emissions modification will involve outfitting your
car with new emission control parts to ensure system reliability and
durability over time. If your car exceeds 40,000 miles (for automatic
transmissions) or 70,000 miles (for manual transmissions) we will install
updated emissions control system hardware - specifically a new Diesel
Particulate Filter, Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, and Selective Catalytic
Reduction Converter - that is needed to maintain emissions
performance for the full useful life (150,000 miles) of your vehicle. As
part of the Phase 2 modification, we will also install a second NOx
sensor and corresponding software to improve the performance of the
OBD system. The Phase 2 updates are expected to have no further
impact on overall vehicle reliability, durability, fuel economy, engine
sound, performance, or drivability.

You will receive a notice when Phase 2 of the emissions modification is
available for your vehicle. You should expect to receive this notice
before June 30, 2019. If your vehicle has accumulated fewer than
40,000 miles (for automatic transmissions) or 70,000 miles (for
manual transmissions) at the time of your Phase 2 update, your car will
need to have the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst replaced a second time,
before it reaches 150,000 miles. We will notify you when it is time to
bring your car in for the second catalyst replacement.

These updates will be made available at no cost to you starting in early
2018. A complimentary loaner vehicle will be available for the duration
of this modification, which is expected to take approximately 9 hours.
My car has fewer than 70K, so I don't get all those new parts... from the first paragraph.
Yet second paragraph, still if fewer than 70K "at time of phase 2 update" I need new parts a "second time".
When then do I get new parts the first time if it's under 70K?

The other confusing part is the June 2019 date, I'd like to be done with all this stuff real soon, "first part of 2018" like they told me when buying the car, not another year and a half later.

Anyone getting a straight answer on when and what?

Not that I really want the new parts, more I want to be done taking the car to the dealer.

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I think they probably made an error with the words "replaced a second time". Everything else would make logical sense with that removed, or is they stated that a new Diesel Oxidation Catalyst is replaced at the time of Phase 2 fix on cars that are under the mileage thresholds.

I'll probably be hitting 30K miles at one year of ownership in May, so I'm going to wait until I hit 40K in my DSG before going in for Phase 2. I want my sticker and to be done going back to VW also.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
That's assuming phase 2 fix is available on May, hahah

My only guess is VW will drag their feet with the second phase of the fix, I'm not aware of drop deadline where fines start or registrations will be denied.

Almost half way through Q1 '18 and no updates of a release.

Daks

TDI
golf
I just got into a 15 TDi comfortline with 30,000km on it - traded in my stage 2+ Golf R. I never signed any documents or agreed for the stage 2 fix. When I asked at the dealership what my incentive would be to get the stage 2 fix, they gave me blank stares.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
That's assuming phase 2 fix is available on May, hahah

My only guess is VW will drag their feet with the second phase of the fix, I'm not aware of drop deadline where fines start or registrations will be denied.

Almost half way through Q1 '18 and no updates of a release.
They had to get through all the Phase 1 fixes on all the generations before they could start thinking about the Phase 2's I'm assuming.

desjiem

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen S
I"m still trying to figure out if we will get phase 2 claim money, since we only just bought the car a month ago. First part was done, and it is not a buyback car... I've submitted the claim through vw, so I guess we will see....

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
10k miles

Mine was new in 2017. Not a buyback. I will be changing the oil for the FIRST time this weekend at 10k. I don't want the thing to be wrenched on anyway with such low miles.

I drove my '03 ALH wagon when the weather was nice. It kept the miles on the '15 down. Really don't know if I will ever go back for any service.

moto7man

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI Six Speed
I bought 2015 Jetta TDIs, one with 6 speed and one with DSG. I going wait until 70,000 miles on the six speed and 40,000 miles on the DSG to have the phase two updates completed. My six speed has 25,000 miles and my DSG has 5000 miles. From my reading of the VW disclosure, it seems the increased emissions will cause these three items to fail. It seems logical to use these items for their service life then let VW install new ones.

"...a new Diesel Particulate Filter, Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, and Selective Catalytic Reduction Converter.."

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Or just take them both in and get part "A" only done of part 2 fix. Then take them back for the part "B" at your listed mileage. It is just a sensor and some programming and shouldn't take long. IIRC this is how it is supposed to be done for low mileage cars. You lose nothing by doing this and may gain some according to some reports.