a/c repair cost

TDI
2002 Golf
My '02 Golf hasn't blown cold air this summer. I took it in to a shop today and they tell me $1650. Does that sound right? Said the compressor had come apart on the inside and now there were metal shavings throughout the system. I need a drier, compressor, condenser and expansion valve.

Looks like I'll be spending the rest of the summer with the windows down.

dieseljunkie

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI wagon
I bought my 96 Passat TDI with a leaky AC condenser. I bought a new condenser for $97 delivered, $28 for a new receiver dryer, oring pack for $1.50, manifold gauge set from Harbor Freight for $35. I found a R134 30 lb tank in the trash with some freon left in it plus I have 2 16oz cans bought many years ago but never used it. I evacuted and charged the system and now have working AC. You can use the compressor from a window AC or fridge as the vacuum pump to do the evacuation instead of buying a vac pump.

It's my first time doing AC work and I had good luck. Maybe you should consider DIY to save some bucks?

teeth

TDI
1997 Passat
Shop said my expansion valve was bad, needed to be replaced, but when they started they found that the valve piece had corroded onto the condenser, so both needed to be replaced. was quoted as apporx a $2000 repair to do valve/condenser and probably reciever/dryer.

Wanting to save money, I had an experienced mechanic buddy take out the valve and condenser out of my parts car. Of course he had to take apart the dash to do it. He happily told me that he didn't want to do it for real on my car since putting the dash together was a huge pain in the ass.

Seeing that dash come off and the resulting mess makes me inclined to let a pro do it.

That was a year ago, been living without AC since, and enjoying 54 MPG. Will have money this summer to do the repair job.

(This is a 97 Passat TDI)

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
I think your refering to the evaporator in the dash. The condensor lives in front of the radiator.