miles on carfax report higher than odometer

bravo69

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS
heres a good one for you. I went to look at this 2003 Jetta TDI with 115k miles. Someone beat me to it. I asked the owner if he sold it. He said the guy who got there first ran a carfax report and said it has 144k miles and was no longer interested. The owner didnt understand why the odometer said 115k but the car fax said 144k. He said he knows he put 14k on it so it really should be 158k.

The owner seemed honest and didnt want to sell the car until he figured out the discrepancy. I told him to run the vcds that the miles stored in the ecu and the cluster separately and someone swapped the low mileage with the higher mileage. But if that was the case than why does it read 115k?

How should I proceed? I want to try to help him and figure out the real miles. The car still has low miles and would like to buy it.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
It’s a 2003 who really cares what the carfax says. Someone swapped a cluster, no big deal, I had to do that to my daughters 01 Beetle. If it’s in good shape and you like it, buy it.

The only thing I use car fax for is to determine where a car has lived it’s life. NY/PA, rustbelt? Not so good. FL/GA southern rust free, very good.

Even at 158k , that’s still really low miles. My 05 is at 323k and climbing.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
heres a good one for you. I went to look at this 2003 Jetta TDI with 115k miles. Someone beat me to it. I asked the owner if he sold it. He said the guy who got there first ran a carfax report and said it has 144k miles and was no longer interested. The owner didnt understand why the odometer said 115k but the car fax said 144k. He said he knows he put 14k on it so it really should be 158k.

The owner seemed honest and didnt want to sell the car until he figured out the discrepancy. I told him to run the vcds that the miles stored in the ecu and the cluster separately and someone swapped the low mileage with the higher mileage. But if that was the case than why does it read 115k?

How should I proceed? I want to try to help him and figure out the real miles. The car still has low miles and would like to buy it.
Buy knowing it has 158k on it at most and who cares.
That's what I would do if I looked at it and it seemed legit and Vag-com said something along the same lines in the ECM.
Really no discrepency, my car has a body with 155k and a cluster that says 318k which is the mileage on the ALH I swapped in to the lower mileage body with the 1.8t/vr6 upgrades. I believe it would fetch the price of one with 200k with total upgrades, and I wouldn't think about selling it so low!

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
In many states, after 10 years, the vehicle mileage is of no legal consequence. I know one year on my car, the guy who recorded the state inspection mistakenly subtracted 100K miles. Nothing I could do, but it got fixed the following year. I am sure on CarFax that would show up.

bravo69

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS
Buy knowing it has 158k on it at most and who cares.
That's what I would do if I looked at it and it seemed legit and Vag-com said something along the same lines in the ECM.
Really no discrepency, my car has a body with 155k and a cluster that says 318k which is the mileage on the ALH I swapped in to the lower mileage body with the 1.8t/vr6 upgrades. I believe it would fetch the price of one with 200k with total upgrades, and I wouldn't think about selling it so low!
I downloaded vcds from Ross-Tech and my friend loaned my the cable. any suggestions on how to use the software before I look at this car would be very helpful.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Last edited: