2003 W8 manual for DSG delete

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
I have a chance to buy an 03 W8 manual, PM'ed Pickle Rick, he as well as I are not sure the gearing would be correct, anyone have the answer thanks

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
if you have the VIN, I can look it up

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
The transmission code is FRR. Will look that up tonight.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
Final drive is 37/9 4.11
1st = 28/8
2nd = 34/18
3rd = 32/26
4th = 30/29
5th = 25/39
6th = 26/38 0.68

Not that great. My 5 speed Quattro is geared taller than that 6th gear and rear diff combo.
6th = 26/38

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
sounds like the FRR is the wrong setup, I'm not very familiar with ratios and what they represent but sounds like "taller" means you go a lot faster with less RPM's, something this transmission won't provide

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
W8 auto has a taller final drive, but then you'd have to get an 01 trans shipped over to match. That's what I'm doing. Have the car, gearbox, BHW - just no time to do it!

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Our South Carolina public education system (common core math) has my kid doing that in the 5th grade, in third he was still learning basic adding/subtraction. Your hockey and now advanced math skills impress me.

The FRR doesn't seem like it would be bad around town, similar to the DVZ i have. Just like i said in the PM, if you did a lot of hwy commuting it wouldn't be fun. I daily drove an 86 fj60 then a 67 fj40 (both diesel converted) for a combined 10 years so even my DVZ feels like it had a tall top end compared to my usual work beater vehicles/daily driver.

On stretches of hwy with a 60 to 65 mph posted speed i can run with fast traffic at 70 to 75 without reving too high. I set the cruise control at 3000 rpms, above that the mpg goes down. If the posted speed limit is 70 mph i cant ride the fast lane and Im constantly switching lanes to pass people going below 70 and rushing to get back over to not slow down people doing 80-85.

My 7.3 excursion is geared about the same, above 70 mph mpgs really go down. I've got 35 inch tires on her for some rubber overdrive.

I thought all the W8 passats were awd? Are you wanting to convert to 4 motion or would you have the diff modified to only put power to the fwd?

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
I must be able to maintain 90+ on my freeway trips.

I thought this car would be plug and play, but I see now a switch is a little more complicated and I went to Catholic School.

So to do it I would have to do the Franz thing and I prefer everything in a box, I'm to old to run around pick-apart

out of curiosity what are the DUK ratios?

My grandson has the car now, the trans just started to hiccup, if it survives a 16 year old's driving habits, in tacked, when the trans finally goes and it doesn't look like its been in a demolition derby, I can do an auto, the manual sounds difficult...and I would be bugging you guys forever for help.

Last edited:

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
You cruise at 90 and mention a 16 yr olds driving habits? Lol

Yes a call to franz is in your future. I think there is more friendly 90mph geared one than a DUK i believe

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
West TX I10 speed limit is 85.

90 is not a problem, I've been in a pack doing 100 down I75, yes my hands sweat but I'm driving an 05 VW Passat.

He totaled his first car

If I wanted to go manual what would be the best transmission setup for our engine?

Last edited:

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I usually dont see cars doing 100 unless im taking i85 to Atlanta...i avoid Atlanta.

I think frans has the gearing specs posted on his website. The transmission alone from him is very well priced. For me it was cheaper to buy a v6 5 speed junk passat for the rest of the parts. I parted/scraped it to get my money back. 400 or so for the ecu tune and another 800 to 1300 for a clutch set up.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
For a Quattro set up, I used the DQT 6 speed in my Allroad because the rear diff was 4.11. That would be a good pick. However, you run into other issues such as which clutch, spacer plate(depending on clutch), snub nose starter (depending on clutch), 6MQs can have synchro issues, end of crank on the BHW not being quite long enough, etc.

In my current Passat 4motion I went with a DGW 5 speed because the rear diff is 3.88. It didn't need all that other stuff. Just bolt up like an automatic to 5 speed manual conversion.

Last edited:

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
Well not so fast.
First the DGW is very difficult to find
Second you will have to get a 3.88 rear diff and a longer prop shaft.

If you are not married to the 4mo, just get a DUK and remove the prop shaft. You still get the benefit of IIRS

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
Well not so fast.
First the DGW is very difficult to find
Second you will have to get a 3.88 rear diff and a longer prop shaft.

If you are not married to the 4mo, just get a DUK and remove the prop shaft. You still get the benefit of IIRS
"go DUK, remove the prop shaft "and get the benefit of IIRS and I still have to get a 3.88 rear diff and a longer prop shaft...sorry I do not speak Albanian

Where do I find a DUK?

Last edited:

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Frans, a member on here imports tdi spec passat transmissions from Europe to here.

He is saying unless you want to make your fwd passat into an awd passat (the 6 speed you asked about is for a awd aka 4motion application) to go with a DUK code transmisson.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
No that its not what I am saying. Going from FWD to AWD is not impossible but not worth what is required to make it look and work factory.

All W8's are 4 motion only.

If you can do without the AWD and want to keep it simple,
1. use the FWD DUK gearbox
2. remove the main drive shaft

You will get the ride and handling benefits of the Independent Rear Suspension

Electrically it is not a plug and play install. You will have some pins to figure out what to do with.