Jetta turn signal bulb

spfrancis

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI
Hi there, I'm having a strange issue with my rear turn signal bulb, and was trying to see if anyone else in the forum has had a similar experience. I had my rear turn signal bulb burn out on me, and I went to NAPA with the old bulb. THey took a look at it, and gave me the replacement. I bought 2, figuring that it would be better to have a spare. I put the one in, and within a day or 2, it burned out. When it burned out, is has a white haze on the glass part of the bulb. I figured that I maybe got a bad bulb. I put in the other one, and within 2 days or so, it also went out with a similar white haze. I'm trying to see if they just sold me the wrong type of bulb, or is there something going on with my electrical that is burning out these bulbs. Any thoughts on what could cause this?
Forgot to mention: 2006 Jetta TDI

Last edited:

spfrancis

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI
Definitely not the bulb. It is getting super hot. Has to be a short somewhere that is causing the bulb to get so hot.

spfrancis

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI

Trying to put a picture of what is going on. Looking for some help. So it looks like my bulbs that I have tried really caused some damage in the housing area. Not the best pictures, but you can see the tab there where the one bulb goes into the lense area has been melted. I'm lucky that it didn't cause a fire. It has to be a short that is causing this problem. I'm going to take it to a shot to see if they can help.

http://s347.photobucket.com/user/spfrancis52/media/IMG_0189_zps9dcr5kvz.jpg.html

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Poor connections cause high resistance. High resistance causes heat.

I have also found a lot of the Chinabright parts store bulbs do not fit very well. That car should use a nickel based Hella or Sylvania bulb, 21W. I would also check the Central Electronics module for any DTCs.

7506 is the generic bulb number. N-017-732-2 is the VAG number. You may also check to make sure the contacts in the holder are not in any way loose or distorted.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :cool:

Also, a short would just blow fuses and melt wires if you have too big a fuse. Some people wrongly think that if you are blowing fuses, the fix is to put in a bigger fuse which could cause wires to melt if you have a short. If you do not have the correctly rated replacement fuse try a smaller one, never a bigger one. Your wiring will thank you.

Last edited:

spfrancis

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI
So I took this into Fallons in Sterling, VA. I know that other on the forum have been happy with Mike. Given the type of heat that caused that top mounting post to melt had me worried. I did try a VW bulb, as well as NAPA bulbs. I think my problem is that I took out the socket without unplugging the connectors. The top connector got slightly stretched, and I think that is what is causing the problem. I thought about just taking some electrical tape and wrapping those 2 wires, but I figured I would just have it fixed correctly, which probably means that it has to be opened up, and replace the part that melted.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Go get some sockets from a wrecking yard and just splice them in to your cars wiring. Include several inches of the donor cars wiring, use crimp type butt connectors and don't use solder as solder has a tendency to crack over time.
If you stagger the splices, you can wrap both wires after they are spliced with electrical tape to make the repair stronger.

You don't have to follow the dimensions in the picture exactly.