Factory Alarm. Cost Benefits?

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 1.9L mk3 1Z AHU
Interesting “stealth” alarm idea guys - it’s actually a DIY immobilizer that kills fuel supply electrically so all the thief can do is crank crank crank no start.

Question about the factory alarm:
Does it supposed to use its own siren horn (*chirp chirp* to arm.. “multi tone” for unauthorized entry attempt)??
Or does it just use the vehicle horn (honk... honk... honk...)..??

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Interesting “stealth” alarm idea guys - it’s actually a DIY immobilizer that kills fuel supply electrically so all the thief can do is crank crank crank no start.

Question about the factory alarm:
Does it supposed to use its own siren horn (*chirp chirp* to arm.. “multi tone” for unauthorized entry attempt)??
Or does it just use the vehicle horn (honk... honk... honk...)..??
I would not want someone to be able to crank crank crank and ruin a good starter. You just know that they'll continue to try and start the car until they burn up a perfectly good $100+ starter. I would setup my defeat device so the trigger to the solenoid does not activate and the starter does not work at all.

The factory alarm uses it's own horn for all operations. There's no chirping when it sets, the horn (might) toot once briefly. When the alarm goes off the horn sounds like most systems, not steady but repeating.

Steve

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
If the factory alarm is actively going, it won't allow electricity to get to the starter solenoid in the first place.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
If the factory alarm is actively going, it won't allow electricity to get to the starter solenoid in the first place.

He's talking about setting up some other kind of non-OE alarm with his new push button starter switch doodad.

Steve