CP3 fuel pump upgrade thread

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Figured I'd start a thread so we can track all the CP3's that are being installed on our CR TDI's now. We can keep a running list of members in this first post, and the thread can be devoted to talk about anything CP3 related.

Here are the current members with the CP3 pump installed and running:
1. 2Micron
2. YukonLT
3. Paulinski
4. schreibers
5. UberVW_TDI
6. camboscams
7. turbobrick240
8. road hog
9. DieselDubs83
10. 2010JSWDSG
11. edgewatertom
12. TDIA3
13. WalkingDrunken
14. Pitboy
15. dieselherb1
16. UFO (under fueled oiler)
17. Wingdinger
18. Canary5.0
19. Buckwild90
20. xjay1337
21. mpriolo
22. 1972SS454
23. freyguy
24. Cptcrnch
25. Rhino1829
26. ksing44
27. McGuirk
28. np9131
29. skycrane
30. calimustang
31. JiveTurkey
32. voilsb
33. adjat84th
34. NIN846
35. pkhoury
36. lovehandles18
37. JordanLee
38. Mitternacht
39. 97B4TDi
40. Omacrontron

Anyone that installs the CP3, post up so we can add to the list and hear about your upgrade!

Here are a couple links to the birth of this upgrade:
Andrew's initial testing and fitment
YukonLT's install and impressions

Looking forward to seeing more of these on the road!

Last edited:

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I don't have one yet.. but I do hope to have one in the near future since the CP4.1 is the only thing that really worries me with this car.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Figured I'd start a thread so we can track all the CP3's that are being installed on our CR TDI's now. We can keep a running list of members in this first post, and the thread can be devoted to talk about anything CP3 related.
Here are the current members with the CP3 pump installed and running:
1. 2Micron
2. YukonLT
3. Paulinski
4. schreibers
5. UberVW_TDI
6. camroscams
Anyone that installs the CP3, post up so we can add to the list and hear about your upgrade!
Here are a couple links to the birth of this upgrade:
Andrew's initial testing and fitment
YukonLT's install and impressions
Looking forward to seeing more of these on the road!
I think I may be #7. I installed mine last night/this morning along with a dieselgeek timing belt kit. Everything was very straightforward thanks to Andrews great pictorial writeup, and the excellent timing belt DIY guide on myturbodiesel.com. The car is running fantastic (as always). One nice thing I liked about the install is that the CP3 doesn't need to be timed liked the CP4.

YukonLT

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
I think I may be #7. I installed mine last night/this morning along with a dieselgeek timing belt kit. Everything was very straightforward thanks to Andrews great pictorial writeup, and the excellent timing belt DIY guide on myturbodiesel.com. The car is running fantastic (as always). One nice thing I liked about the install is that the CP3 doesn't need to be timed liked the CP4.
Awesome! I think his pictorial write up actually has photos of my engine in it :D

Added to the list!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sweet. My engine was very dusty due to the dirt road I live on. I got pretty ocd with a preclean of the whole bay. I really didn't want to introduce dirt into the system. Never had a vanity plate, but I'm thinking about CP3 GTD.

road hog

TDI
2001 Jetta ALH (gone) 2004 Jetta TDI 5 speed, 2000 ALH (totaled) 2009 Jetta Wagon DSG
I have followed this forum for some time. Had an ALH 2000 that I got with original 80K on it and it was totaled on August 8th 2015. Got a 2009 CR wagon that was well taken care of but was an unknown. Going to pick it up at German Motorwerks (Diesel Dubs) in Central PA. I wore Andrew out with the emails. I wanted to make the car bullet proof so I have done the timing belt, cp3 with 2micron filter DPF/EGR delete, Malone Stage 2 tune and DSG service with Oil change. I will be tracking in and was delighted to have Les take this on. I was getting about 46 mpg on the road and will post the results as I use it. I am scheduled to pick it up Friday....Will see but I am excited...

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I have followed this forum for some time. Had an ALH 2000 that I got with original 80K on it and it was totaled on August 8th 2015. Got a 2009 CR wagon that was well taken care of but was an unknown. Going to pick it up at German Motorwerks (Diesel Dubs) in Central PA. I wore Andrew out with the emails. I wanted to make the car bullet proof so I have done the timing belt, cp3 with 2micron filter DPF/EGR delete, Malone Stage 2 tune and DSG service with Oil change. I will be tracking in and was delighted to have Les take this on. I was getting about 46 mpg on the road and will post the results as I use it. I am scheduled to pick it up Friday....Will see but I am excited...
Exelent! Great to hear Lea does cp3 conversations!

P.S. may the ALH rest in peace!

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
Is the 2micron filter necessary if you install a cp3?

If the cp3 is so reliable, it seems it's not needed.

YukonLT

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Sounds great, added to the list!

Also added DieselDubs83 (Les), he's running one now as well :)

YukonLT

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Is the 2micron filter necessary if you install a cp3?

If the cp3 is so reliable, it seems it's not needed.
Probably not an absolute necessity, but for the minimal cost it seems like a no brainer to add it during install to feed the pump the purest fuel you can!

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2003 JSW TDI 5MT ,2012 Jetta TDI 6MT, 2013 jetta TDI 6MT
I should get my pump next week and if I have a no travel week, I am hoping to start fabbing what I need to get it installed. Will be happy to have a bulletproof setup!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I should get my pump next week and if I have a no travel week, I am hoping to start fabbing what I need to get it installed. Will be happy to have a bulletproof setup!
That's cool. I know I wouldn't want to reinvent the wheel when someone else has a kit with all the r&d already done. But I don't possess that kind of mechanical aptitude in the first place. Good luck! I'd love to see a dual cp3 setup on a tdi.

UberVW_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Variant TDI
The CP3 has about double the flow capacity as the stock HPFP. Plus the CP3 might be able to be modified for even higher flow as is done on Cummins and Duramax heavily tuned trucks.
Therefore I doubt there would ever be a need for a dual CP3 setup on the 2.0 CR TDI.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, I know that. Still would love to see a dual setup.

gloaming

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT CR170 (Sold); 2004 R32 (not a TDI)
So jealous of you guys right now :D

Alas, only 28K left until timing belt change... I'll have to purposely go on some road trips so I get there sooner:cool:. I've already planted the seeds with the wife. "It'll make it more reliable" "We'll never have to worry about the fuel pump die on us". Gotta start saving now!

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
The CP3 has about double the flow capacity as the stock HPFP. Plus the CP3 might be able to be modified for even higher flow as is done on Cummins and Duramax heavily tuned trucks.
Therefore I doubt there would ever be a need for a dual CP3 setup on the 2.0 CR TDI.
Exactly. More than plenty fueling as stock CP3. I got a second one to modify however. Always good to see what's possible.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think a double pumped tdi would be great. Sure, it would be more novelty than necessity, and would require significantly more work and expense. But, it would definitely be unique.

YukonLT

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Exactly. More than plenty fueling as stock CP3. I got a second one to modify however. Always good to see what's possible.
At this point, there wouldn't be any reason to modify a CP3 for our cars I don't think. The injectors will be the next bottleneck I believe...

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, I think the injectors and the stock head flow are limitations right now. I'm happy with my current setup- any more power and I would need a clutch upgrade. Glad to say my cp3 is humming along perfectly!

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
That's cool. I know I wouldn't want to reinvent the wheel when someone else has a kit with all the r&d already done. But I don't possess that kind of mechanical aptitude in the first place. Good luck! I'd love to see a dual cp3 setup on a tdi.
I think a double pumped tdi would be great. Sure, it would be more novelty than necessity, and would require significantly more work and expense. But, it would definitely be unique.
When it comes to trucks, there's plenty of dual pump action and pix to go with it: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Dual+CP3+pump#

/\That last part sounds so wrong :eek: LOL!!!

But all kidding aside, You won't see a dual CP3 TDI... there's simply no need for it. At best we would make only half the power and torque that a truck can with a few power upgrades. Remember you're talking about a 2L 4 banger VS a BIG 6+Liter Inline 6 or V8.

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
Also remember that there are several versions of the CP3 from 2.8l 4cyl to 5.7 and beyond. Not all CP3's are created equal. :)

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When it comes to trucks, there's plenty of dual pump action and pix to go with it: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Dual+CP3+pump#

/\That last part sounds so wrong :eek: LOL!!!

But all kidding aside, You won't see a dual CP3 TDI... there's simply no need for it. At best we would make only half the power and torque that a truck can with a few power upgrades. Remember you're talking about a 2L 4 banger VS a BIG 6+Liter Inline 6 or V8.
Lol. That was all in jest really. But if some nut does one, I'd like to see it!

road hog

TDI
2001 Jetta ALH (gone) 2004 Jetta TDI 5 speed, 2000 ALH (totaled) 2009 Jetta Wagon DSG
She has gone to a better place. How many times to you run across 2000 ALH vehicles that has a complete maintenance history with only 90K. Man I wanted to put a 6 speed conversion and stage 3+ Mods for her but alas she is gone. My 2009 wagon with a Stage 2 DPF and EGR delete and CP3 will just have to do for now...Now its got me in the itch for a bigger turbo and all wheel drive. I just got to hide it from my wife....

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
CR170 Stage 3, Rawtek straight pipe turbo back, Tyrol Subframe kit.
OK got to ask about the subframe kit...
Why the Subframe kit? Read the site, what clunk squeak?

As far as the other mods:
CR170 is a turbo, upgrade turbo from standard CJAA turbo.
Stage 3, Malone ECU tune, go with DPF.
Rawtek is the DPF delete, got that.

Do all these mods make it go faster, burn less fuel, attract woman? :D
Seriously with all that cash this cost... was it worth it.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
What is the cost of the CP3 mod....
I see this, may be bigger turbo and the serpentine belt guard making the CJAA super reliable.... from some nagging issues that suck the fun out it.

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
Yes, yes - if you can keep your foot out of it (so for me - no), absolutely (as long as you use zaino)...

Totally worth it. Smiles per mile increased significantly.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What is the cost of the CP3 mod....
I see this, may be bigger turbo and the serpentine belt guard making the CJAA super reliable.... from some nagging issues that suck the fun out it.
You should contact 2micron (Andrew) for a price on the cp3 kit. Keep in mind the pump alone costs significantly more than the cp4 pump. The penny pinching bosch did on the cp4 is why so many self destruct.

gloaming

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT CR170 (Sold); 2004 R32 (not a TDI)
OK got to ask about the subframe kit...
Why the Subframe kit? Read the site, what clunk squeak?

As far as the other mods:
CR170 is a turbo, upgrade turbo from standard CJAA turbo.
Stage 3, Malone ECU tune, go with DPF.
Rawtek is the DPF delete, got that.

Wasn't as much cash as you'd think when it was all said and done actually. Everything was on sale from GDM last spring, so it ended up being a few hundred dollars more than a stage 2 w/deletes (which was my original plan).

As far as the subframe kit, yes it made a huge difference. Not everyone will experience this, but my subframe would shift under anything other than light acceleration. I had the bolts re-torqued several times and they still shifted. It was a loud clunk and you could feel the subframe shift under your feet. Installed the kit and the car is incredibly sturdy now. I realized after the fact that my subframe would even shift on bumps and potholes before the kit.

That being said: Yes the car is significantly faster, burns the same amount of fuel as my stage 1.5 tune, and I could care less about attracting women (I'm taken, but thanks for your interest :D).

Not really sure why you decided to single me out though, seeing as most everyone with the cp3 kits have a cr170 stage 3 or bigger mods. It's not as if I'm the first person to list their mods or fuel economy in their sig...

2010JSWDSG

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Just finished the installation last weekend, so that makes me #10. Pretty straightforward install if you use the T10051 counter hold tool. The hardest part was getting the HP EGR valve out of the way.