New SMF clutch and now have engine shake

biojetta1

TDI
01 jetta tdi
Hello all, I just had a SMF and clutch installed last week and now the engine shakes when coming to a stop. Strangely the engine stops shaking as soon as the car comes to a full stop. Weird. Depressing the clutch pedal does not stop it. It only stops when the car comes to rest??? Although the clutch seems to operate smooth. It's just annoying. There is also a rattle that wasn't there before that does go away when the clutch pedal is depressed. Thanks for any input.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
You already know about the rattle bud, remember? But the shake, yeh, that's the fuel to high, just need to tweak the IQ as said.

biojetta1

TDI
01 jetta tdi
This maybe a dumb question. How will turning down the fuel or injection quantity control the engine wobble? Can this only be done by computer?

biojetta1

TDI
01 jetta tdi
Thanks so much guys. The tech that installed my clutch noticed that all of my vacuum hoses are about shot. So ill start there and keep you posted.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silicone is good upgrade, lasts way better than that cloth covered stuff. The fittings are 3.5mm and 5mm but I just used 3mm for everything, it's tight on the bigger fittings but works perfect.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When removing the old vac pipes from the N75 and the egr solenoids cut the along the pipe and peel it off, it saves risking breaking any nipples off

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not sure exact figures but I just bought 5 metres as it was only £10 Uk anyway so cheap enough and I've fixed other peoples leaks with the spare lol.

biojetta1

TDI
01 jetta tdi
Ok cool. I just ordered 3m of 3.5mm for $10. It sounds like that should be enough. I hope, lol. I prey that this will fix the shudder. I'd be getting off cheap then. Haha. It has gotten worse in the last few days. I also called the company I got the clutch kit from and they'll be sending me a new throw out bearing to replace the defective one. Unfortunately I will have to pay labor to tear it all apart again. I'm hoping to get some of the money reimbursed but not holding my breath.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeh bud, do you keep forgetting about the rattle? I don't know how many times I've confirmed it's normal now lol. It's not the bearing, it's the springs in the pressure plate because they're not really up to the task, the tdi ones are tougher or even doubled up but the ones in the VR6 plate are single and for petrol cars.

Mine rattles like I said before but it's absolutely fine, ignore the rattle and just enjoy the car.

biojetta1

TDI
01 jetta tdi
This is my second jetta that I had the dmf tossed and replaced with a smf. Its been a few years since I've had the last car but I dont remember it being so noisy after the swap. The throw out bearing that is. I guess it is what it is. I will defiantly enjoy the car.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
They're not all like that but the sachs VR6 one definitely is, noisy when you let the pedal out in neutral but quiet with the pedal pushed in? If it was noisy when the pedal was pushed in that'd be a different story though.

biojetta1

TDI
01 jetta tdi
Your correct. Its noisy only when the clutch pedal is out, quite when in. I also forgot to mention that the new clutch and flywheel weigh in a whopping 10 lbs.( 4.53 kilo) so it is way lighter than the OEM dmf clutch.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well that noise is normal, nothing is broken so don't waste your time, just get bigger injector nozzles and some mapping now and enjoy the car! :D

biojetta1

TDI
01 jetta tdi
Ok, quick update. I changed all the vacuum lines and cleaned out the egr valve and intak which was almost completely clogged. Engine slow down shudder is still there. The car is much more responsive though, now that it can breath. Lol. An egr delete is in the wings for sure. Beside turning down the iq is there any other suggestions for getting rid of the shudder?

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
What weight flywheel did you put in? The lighter the flywheel the more noise. I put in the heaviest one 21 0r 23 lbs and I have no noise at all.

biojetta1

TDI
01 jetta tdi
Yea its light. 10 pounds.
I read a post today about slow down shudder that said to disconnect the road speed sensor to check if its the ecu. So i did that and the shudder completely went away. So did my speedometer and cruise control. lol. So my question is, if I plug the road speed sensor back in and continue to drive as is, will the ecu eventually stop working completely? Also is there a chance that it could just be a bad road speed sensor or is it most definatly the ecu?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
10lbs? That is light! What's the post you refer to? And is it to do with the AHF engine? They have an issue with some of the older ecu's.

biojetta1

TDI
01 jetta tdi
Sorry I should have been more descriptive. I have a late 99.5, I think its an ALH engine. I don't know how to attach a link to the post but here is the info. The post was made by a member on this forum Pinknoise. Entitled "Slow down shudder (AGAIN)" posted back on 03-03-08.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeh you have an ALH, we got the 110's too, one was the ASV and the other the AHF, the AHF had known slow down shudder issues but it was something to do with the ecu.

I'm still trying to find the thread you're talking about but not having much luck.
You just copy the address in the bar at the top then paste it in here.

Haligen

TDI
2006 Jetta DSG
I just installed a sachs clutch and VR6 flywheel as well, and mine has the pedal out neutral chatter. Shuts right up when I push the pedal in. You used a 10lb flywheel? I went with the 22lb one in the idparts setup. One thing that I thought was weird with mine is the pedal is sooooo easy to push. I actually thought it was broke when I first when to drive it.