Questions about Pioneer HU

HysteriaRunRiot

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI Indigo(FOR SALE!), 2015 Golf TDI SE Black
I recently bought an 04 golf tdi and was thinking of changing the HU, mainly for the AUX but also for added features. My biggest influence on changing it would be that many have said it would improve my sound quality. I currently have the Monsoon system.

I have somewhat decided on the Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD

I was wondering if anyone could let me know how difficult this is to install.

Also, i'm pretty sure that other than wiring, I shouldn't need to install anything else, if thats not the case let me know.

I'm going to say now, that all I'm interested in changing is the head unit, nothing else, the speakers are fine for me, and I do not want to add a sub. I would like to avoid changing the amp, but I don't think i have to.

Ok I think I covered everything. Feel free to ask questions

tp_taylor

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 GOLF GLS TDI
I installed an AVIC F900BT in my golf. There is a thread on Vortex discussing the install.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3134807

If your unit is anything like most Pioneer double dins, you will need the Pioneer fit kit (ADT-VA133) for it to look proper and the Pioneer harness you can get from most audio stores. Read up, take your time, and good luck! The website AVIC411.com can be your friend.

HysteriaRunRiot

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks. I had already done research, and saw your thread. I was just unsure if i would need a different mount, or how difficult the wiring was. Thank you for a quick response.

another thing to note is that I have no prior experience with car audio. Should I just have it installed professionally? or should I give it a go on my own?(depends on how difficult.

I might just end up having it professionally installed.

pbraunton

Veteran Member
TDI
03' Jetta TDi
it is easy, I have no experience with the Avic systems, but have done a few other systems, they are easy, ..........when you take it apart just remember how things go back together, ......

the wiring is simple with the wiring adapters, ....and most cars and aftermarket stereos have the adapters now.......

do it yourself, ...you'll waste the money, .........

or take the old radio out of the dash, .....then if you get scared put it back in, .....but you should have no worries...

tp_taylor

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 GOLF GLS TDI
I found that I had to hack the rear cage in the dash use cloth wrap to reduce any chatter from harness connectors. Then came the modification to the actual Pioneer cage to get the radio to sit flush with the dash and give a more factory appearance. Then seeking out the elusive key sense wire to allow an aftermarket radio to stay on until the key is removed. You probably won't get all the detail items done a your local audio shop, gotta do it yourself. I have a smidge of audo knowledge but not much.

HysteriaRunRiot

Veteran Member
TDI
sounds like a plan... could someone link me to a source for the keysense wire?

i'll probably just take it apart, take a look, and go from there

ndamico

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2003 Golf 2Dr TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2002 Duramax, 2003 Duramax
i agree completely.. i've installed 2 F90BT's in tdi's and its easy as long as you follow the directions. getting a total flush mount is harder but doable.

tp_taylor said:
I installed an AVIC F900BT in my golf. There is a thread on Vortex discussing the install.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3134807

If your unit is anything like most Pioneer double dins, you will need the Pioneer fit kit (ADT-VA133) for it to look proper and the Pioneer harness you can get from most audio stores. Read up, take your time, and good luck! The website AVIC411.com can be your friend.

HysteriaRunRiot

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks for all the advice, i was just a little leery cause i've never done this sorta thing before, any work i do on a car is more mechanical.

Anybody know of, or have themselves, installed this unit in a vw of the same make?

ndamico

TDI
2003 Golf 2Dr TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2002 Duramax, 2003 Duramax
golf/jetta same install

HysteriaRunRiot said:
thanks for all the advice, i was just a little leery cause i've never done this sorta thing before, any work i do on a car is more mechanical.

Anybody know of, or have themselves, installed this unit in a vw of the same make?

ACHTUNG TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Sedan, Silver (sold); 2016 Jetta TSI 1.8t Sport, 5 sp, LP; 2014 BMW 328d xDrive Sport Wagon (wife's)
Manufactured harnesses will make the install much easier. Look for them at www.enfigcarstereo.com. They're located in north Jersey, and Christian is a moderator in the Technical car electronics audio section on vwvortex. They know and own vw's and they will help you with the harness purchases. You'll also need an adapter for your radio antenna so that the preamp in the antenna receives power from your new headunit. Enfig car stereo will help you with that also.

HysteriaRunRiot

Veteran Member
TDI
@ndamico- did you install it yourself? if so, any tips? and do you have pictures of it by chance?

@achtung tdi- thank you for the info, i'm located on Long Island, so they're not near by, but i should be ok with an online source, thanks again

ndamico

TDI
nah no pics sorry. its not really very hard. i ran new speaker wires, amp, etc. on the other car i just bought the scosche harness to the oem plug.

speedo signal is soldered to one of the harness wires on the back of the cluster. gps antenna i put under the dash. the mic that comes with it sucks compared to my old pioneer d3's. i think the 700 doesn't play dvd's whereas the 900/90bt does. i picked up my f90bt's last xmas for 460$ each on sale.

avic411.com is your friend. unless you have girl fingers you'll need a bigger know which a guy sells on that site. also see if it comes with 3.0 firmware as its much better than the 2.0 stuff. if it doesn't i think pioneer sells it for $99. or you can try and find a hacked copy on the internet for free.

HysteriaRunRiot said:
@ndamico- did you install it yourself? if so, any tips? and do you have pictures of it by chance?

@achtung tdi- thank you for the info, i'm located on Long Island, so they're not near by, but i should be ok with an online source, thanks again

ACHTUNG TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Sedan, Silver (sold); 2016 Jetta TSI 1.8t Sport, 5 sp, LP; 2014 BMW 328d xDrive Sport Wagon (wife's)
You're welcome HRR. The link provided in an earlier post to vwvortex was prepared by Greg of Gomobile who is on Long Island. He does installs and he's excellent. If I can be of further assistance feel free to pm me.

Mike96ZJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
MY question is along the same lines. With the aftermarket head unit the stock Monsoon amp still works right? No extra steps just plug and play?