How do I fix reoccurring check-engine light fault?

cdroadwarrior

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf GL TDI
Hi Everybody,

I have a 2000 VW Golf GL TDI with approximately 141,000 miles. During the past 10k or 15k miles, I have had a check-engine fault light coming on, and I keep reading the code and it is always as follows: "P0380 Glow Plug/Heater CKT A Malfunction".

During the past 60k miles (since I purchased the car), I have replaced the Glow Plugs twice, and the most recent set only have about 20k miles on them. When I clear the code, it stays away for a few hundred miles (a few thousand miles once), and I have cleared it about 5 or 6 times in total, so there seems to be a consistent underlying cause.

The temperatures have been warm (well above the 40 degree F threshold when, as I understand it, the glow-plugs actually function), so I don't understand why this fault code is occurring.

What are the likely causes of this fault? What is the best way to go about investigating this problem?

Thanks again for your help!

- Brock

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
cel

Have you replaced the brake light switch with the new GREEN one? It was recalled and before and replaced with a different color. You need the GREEN one. Will throw a glow plug fault also.:eek:

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
2004STARWARSTDI said:
Have you replaced the brake light switch with the new GREEN one? It was recalled and before and replaced with a different color. You need the GREEN one. Will throw a glow plug fault also.:eek:
Um, I'm not sure about that one. A bad brake switch will cause the glow plug liight to flash. But that has nothing to do with the glow plugs. Go figure.

In the case of the original poster, you have a connection issue in your harness. It just needs to be cleaned and you should be OK. If not, then replacememnt may be necessary. I highly recommend Deoxit D5 as the tratment of choice because it deoxidises the corrosion in the terminals of the harness that cause the high resistance, which causes the CEL. Regular contact cleaner will not remove this oxidation.

cdroadwarrior

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf GL TDI
Re: Harness

First of all, thanks everybody for all of your help! I can't wait to tackle this problem! I alread had all of the struggles with the GlowPlug light and the brake light, but after replacing it 2 or 3 times myself, the dealership finally replaced it with the green switch!

Where is the best place to purchase the Deoxit D5?

Thanks again and take care,

- Brock

cdroadwarrior

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf GL TDI
Yet again, the digest was dead-on with what the problem was and how to solve it! I ordered DeOxit D5, thoroughly cleaned my harness and glowplugs with it, cleared the code, and it has stayed away! Thanks again!

- Brock