AfterMrkt HU w/ stock speakers???

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
I just purchased a Basslink X from a fellow Clubber wich is going into the wife's 05 Passat GL sedan. So the "boom & awe" is out of the way.
She wants a new head unit. So I have 2 questions:

Has anybody experienced a HU change with stock speakers that went well? I understand that replacing the entire speaker system would be best.

If yes,
Then,
What HU did you go with?

Thanks

Golf_GTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
I did it in our 2001 Golf. Used a Clarion Pro Audio hea unit from Crutchfield. They sent all the goodies to make it a pretty easy in and out swap. The sound is almost as good as my Monsoon set up in our Passat which I found to be pretty damn good overall.

It like many HUs also has pre-outs that can be used to drive your sub. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

TDIRyan

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI Black
Yes. I went with the Alpine 9847 and it was a decently easy install, but I did have to take the dash apart to get to the dimmer switch wire (I wouldn't recommend even attaching it now that I see what little difference it makes).
I'd recommend just going ahead and doing it. Get a kit from Crutchfield (well worth it with all the extras they throw in). I have stock speakers and an infinity 10" sub in the back right now and it sounds great.

Do you have the monsoon system? (It'll say monsoon on the tape door)

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
No Monsoon. However I installed the Basslink and ran the remote gain dial up front. It was an improvement. The wife is happy. But I told her we are getting rid of the head unit.
What is the difference between the Monsoon/non-Monsoon HU? I was under the impression that the amp made the Monsoon, not the HU.

mheat

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW, 03 JSW
What is the difference between the Monsoon/non-Monsoon HU? I was under the impression that the amp made the Monsoon, not the HU.
The headunits are identical.

The "amp" is actually not an amp, but very probably an active filter that gives you a different EQ curve. It has a low power 12V in, so can't be an amp. It uses speaker level signals as input, and has speaker level signals as output.

Audiofyl

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS 05 indigo blue
You'd be surprised at what amplifiers consist of in the oem. The monsoon box in the trunk or hatch of your vw is most definately an amp, albeit not much of an amp. You should see what passes for amplifiers in 90s GM cars with bose.

mheat

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW, 03 JSW
You'd be surprised at what amplifiers consist of in the oem. The monsoon box in the trunk or hatch of your vw is most definately an amp, albeit not much of an amp.
So, what is it amplifying? It is taking a high level signal from the speaker outs in the head unit and making it louder?

Audiofyl

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS 05 indigo blue
Yes, that is in fact possible. It also divides the signal to discrete tweeter and woofer outputs for each location.

some factory amplifiers accept standard speaker level outputs(chrysler's infinity, benz, bmw), some accept low level or pre-amp outputs only(older gm and nissan bose, toyota's jbl).