www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old August 8th, 2018, 11:22   #46
MarsBar
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: B4V - 37 combined; ALH - 53 best highway so far

Can't use the one on eBay, mileage is way too much lower than mine. The comps need to be in Calif or maybe just over the border into Oregon/Nevada. I've got an inquiry in to my own insurance asking if it's too late to re-open the claim with them, hoping they'll be a lot looser since it's LM's money. There's another cert'd letter waiting at the PO, so we'll see what the next round of "as the migraine builds" is.
MarsBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2018, 14:57   #47
MarsBar
Veteran Member

DAILY NAUSEA REPORT -- It just gets more pathetic and more maddening by the day! Liberty had the audacity to tell me Car Fax shows it had a salvage title in 2009, but they couldn't find any "supports" for that so they didn't do anything to the value. So what was the point of even bringing it up? Make me think they've done me some kind of favor?! Un-freakin'-believable, and just a little bit sadistic.

What is so dang difficult about taking an average of the 2 comps, adding sales tax, DMV fees and the remaining 2018 registration, subtracting the $50 salvage value, and writing a check for the total????? It's not rocket science people! The regulations are clearly spelled out by the state. Not like I'm asking for enough to break anybody's bank. Sheesh!!!!

Last edited by MarsBar; August 9th, 2018 at 16:53.
Old August 10th, 2018, 14:06   #48
MarsBar
Veteran Member

Took the approach of "find one" this morning. Proposed that if LM sincerely believes that $3,500 is a legitimate value for my car to find a replacement for public sale of like condition for that amount, any mileage up to mine, rust/dent/cancer free body, fresh paint, hot heater and cold a/c, new clutch, etc. Gave them 5 days to do it. Y'all know I've already checked what's out there. . . There are 7 on CL in the entire US/Mexico/Canada/ and Hawaii, 3 of which aren't in any kind of close condition. Average value of the other 4 is $6,337. Wonder what kind of tap dance they'll try this time.

Last edited by MarsBar; August 23rd, 2018 at 08:57.
Old August 23rd, 2018, 08:57   #49
MarsBar
Veteran Member

They've accepted a B4V with 289k miles that came up for sale in Tacoma, though the seller lowered the price by 1k. Still refusing Ventura, the only other with close mileage. The adjustor maintains the work done to it is heavy modification vs maintenance/repairs. They're also still insisting on using the car in Oregon with zero info on condition, but a really low price. That's upped their settlement offer to a total of $4,690. Still not Fair Market Value, as required by the State.

Will be sending the Demand Letter out tomorrow (soon as I can get hold of my old law professor so it can be over his signature), filing with Small Claims Court next week.
Old August 23rd, 2018, 10:47   #50
0die
Veteran Member

well at some point they are gonna just stop and sit on it...when it gets to court one of the things they will bring up is that they kept upping their offer and will try to paint you as "unreasonable"... even though it was them who started off unreasonable...

anyway...2700 to 3800 to 4690 is pretty decent...so far

and if it ever does go to court...no guarantee the judge won't roll back their highest offer either...

hope it all ends well...but in court it's not what you "know", it's what you can "prove"
0die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2018, 11:22   #51
MarsBar
Veteran Member

Odie -- exactly! And I can prove it all.
Old August 27th, 2018, 21:03   #52
quantum_tdi
Veteran Member

Where did the Tacoma one come from? I can check on it if not sold as I'll be down there in the next few days. I might be in Oregon this weekend...
'96 B4V Black & Tan leather, 262K, VR6 clutch, Sprint520, TDIheater, ventectomy, plugged cat "fell off", Cabrio heated leather front seats, koni adjustable front suspension, 5-lug swap sitting on garage floor, broken door handle mod (prepping for sale)
quantum_tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2018, 07:23   #53
MarsBar
Veteran Member

Liberty Mutual accepted Tacoma as a comp without any problems. Still insisting on the one that used to be for sale in May in southern Oregon, even though there's zero info on what it's condition was.

Finally will be able to get a consult with an attorney through a county Bar association program and have the info and demand letter reviewed so that I can put a cc at the bottom to a lawyer. If that doesn't get a response, it will be small claims court so a judge/lawyer pro-tem can see the documentation of the 2 being comps and meeting the regulations and Liberty's continued refusal to accept Ventura.
Old August 29th, 2018, 11:00   #54
MarsBar
Veteran Member

I think I may be gaining the upper hand!

For whatever reason, I hadn't ever decoded the VIN on the low priced Oregon comp they insist on using, instead I've been focusing on the lack of condition information. Chalk it up to pure "doh!". Decoded the VIN this morning, and lo and behold it's a SEDAN. Bazinga! So not only did I send them a list of all the things done to the Ventura car that mine has also had (or hasn't needed), I also told them that Oregon was NOT the same model as mine, could not be used as a comp, and to remove it immediately and submit a proper settlement offer.

Sure hope that gets them to move their top dead center.
Old August 30th, 2018, 11:22   #55
0die
Veteran Member

IMO a sedan is worth half a wagon(at best)...these cars are all about utility and payload...
0die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2018, 08:53   #56
MarsBar
Veteran Member

Exactly!!!!!!