www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old July 18th, 2018, 11:04   #16
VWjimmy

TDI(s): 01 Beetle

I just bought a scan tool and hooked it up. (I got the BAFX scanner with the Torque app on my phone.) I'm getting a fistful of codes:
P0103 - Powertrain Mass or volume air flow circuit high input

P0302 - cylinder 2 misfire detected
P0380 - glow plug / heater circuit A

P0402 - Exhaust gas recirculation flow excessive detected

I unsuccessfully cleaned and then just replaced the MAF about a year ago, so I'm hoping that's not it. The injection line of cylinder 2 was really hard to seal--not sure if it got bent a tiny bit at the shop or doing removal. Maybe that's it? I keep getting the glow plug fault, even though I've re-run all the wires into and out of the glow plug plastic 4-tee thing, and it checks out as OK on my ohmmeter. As for the gas recirc issue, when I first got the car, I cleaned out the recirc system--terrible, choking build-up.

My first guess, of the top of my head, is that I maybe I have a vacuum problem. I've read somewhere that vacuum issues can cause engine recirc issues, but also engine *timing* issues as well. Thoughts, anybody?
VWjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2018, 11:30   #17
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Interweb guessing P0103 & P0402 wiring/connectors. EGR might be stuck open, could lack vacuum.
P0302 not much for that except fuel or bad compression (not likely). You should be able to see if the lines is O.K. or if it leaks.
Glow plugs, did you check the individual plugs? You can let this go til last.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2018, 12:07   #18
VWjimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnOH View Post
Interweb guessing P0103 & P0402 wiring/connectors. EGR might be stuck open, could lack vacuum.
P0302 not much for that except fuel or bad compression (not likely). You should be able to see if the lines is O.K. or if it leaks.
Glow plugs, did you check the individual plugs? You can let this go til last.

Yeah, I'll ignore the glow plugs for now. I'll check the vacuum system next, since that seems likely to be implicated in more than one code. As for the injector, no I'm not getting any external leaks, but I've heard that you can have the injector leak internally in the engine (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...27&postcount=4), causing the timing to get screwed up. So after the vacuum system is copacetic, I'll try swapping an injector and see if the fault follows the injector or stays in that same cylinder.
Old July 18th, 2018, 12:08   #19
Genesis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/48/42

Swapping injector holes is a decent isolation tool (to see if the problem moves) but make sure you have new copper crush washers (or remove and anneal your old ones.) You should also be able to see this in the injector balance display in VCDS -- if that's the cause it should be quite-wildly out-of-spec in that display.
Genesis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2018, 13:49   #20
VWjimmy

The rebuilt injectors came with shiny new washers. If I take 'em out and swap 'em, do I have to re-anneal them (it's only been 2 months top since getting them new), and if so, how do I do that.
Old July 18th, 2018, 14:01   #21
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Interweb will help you figure out anneal. Eventually we may be questioning the pedigree on these rebuilt injectors. I suppose I would loosen that one injector nut, see if it squirts. May even give it a light tap with a small hammer.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote