CP3 fuel pump upgrade thread

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
I saw a definite increase in MPG after my CP3 install. If I could go through several tanks under the same driving conditions I could definitely quantify it. But, I'm always mountain biking with the roof racks and bike on there causing huge wind drag. The roof rack comes off a few times a summer when I use the wife's Subaru instead, but not often. I have wanted to drive it for at least a month to see the difference, it just never happens unfortunately.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Officially can be added to the list as GDM installed the pump and filter kit from 2Micron today. Doubtful I'll see any sort of MPG gain but I did more to the replace the grenade that was the old fuel pump. With the DPF and EGR issue handled I'm looking forward to years of worry free driving enjoyment.

YukonLT

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Officially can be added to the list as GDM installed the pump and filter kit from 2Micron today. Doubtful I'll see any sort of MPG gain but I did more to the replace the grenade that was the old fuel pump. With the DPF and EGR issue handled I'm looking forward to years of worry free driving enjoyment.
Added to the list, congrats!

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I made an appointment with GDM for the pump and filter kit! I also asked for the the P2015 repair bracket, and professional lubrication of the Exhaust Pressure Control Valve. After the fix or if there is no fix, I might go delete too!

A CEL kind of pushed me over the edge. It cleared with VCDS and has stayed off so far, but I thought it was time to do something before I got screwed. The P2015 for the position sensor and the P047F for the stuck open exhaust valve were both shown as intermittent (x2), so hopefully the new bracket and lubrication of the valve will keep me going CEL-free.

After worrying for all of these years, having a "bulletproof" pump will be so sweet! I opted for the used pump. In part I did that to save some cash, but more so because it sounds like it really is the right way to proceed considering the robust nature of the better pump. I hope I really can go 300K miles! I'm at 139K at the moment.

It really would be fun to try a tune one of these days! It seems after the fix would be the time to go for that. I'll have to wait and see how things go from here.

da.hs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf, DSG, silver (from new). 2010 Audi Q7 (from 2016), 2004 Touareg V10 (from 2018)
Malone stage 2 and Rawtek hardware does liven it up though a bit loud at full highway speed. 10 to 15% better FE too. I've thought of re-fitting the OEM rear muffler but then pick it up, remember how heavy it is and decide to leave well alone. I'm about to fit the 2Micron filter kits along with maintenance session (service, O2 sensor, shocks, bearing). CP3.. maybe someday - if the to-do list gets too long, nothing will get done.

dieselherb1

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MK5,09 Mk5 CR,03 Mk4,96,2-97 B4s,98 A3,2000 A4,4 Caddies( 2-1.6TD,1.6,TDI) Chevys 6.2,6.5,6.5TD
I have a Malone 3 tune and 3" exhaust stock muffler. Hard for me to drive average. Drove from Va. to Fla. gulf and back 75-85 mph still got 40mpg. Seems to like going fast rather than slow.

skycrane

TDI
'12 Audi A3, 96 E300, 87 300SDL
I have followed this forum for some time. Had an ALH 2000 that I got with original 80K on it and it was totaled on August 8th 2015. Got a 2009 CR wagon that was well taken care of but was an unknown. Going to pick it up at German Motorwerks (Diesel Dubs) in Central PA. I wore Andrew out with the emails. I wanted to make the car bullet proof so I have done the timing belt, cp3 with 2micron filter DPF/EGR delete, Malone Stage 2 tune and DSG service with Oil change. I will be tracking in and was delighted to have Les take this on. I was getting about 46 mpg on the road and will post the results as I use it. I am scheduled to pick it up Friday....Will see but I am excited...
What was the price for all that work? Thats exacitly what im planing on for my '12 A3 that im keeping. its got 120k on the odo, and i know the tb needs to be replaced soon. So i figured les just might as well do a few upgrades while its apart,... lol

Rhino1829

TDI
2012 Golf Tdi 4dr m/t
GDM is completing my install today for the cp3. It'll be nice to not have to worry about the "what if...and I'm screwed" scenario of the old pump. Looking forward to many more happy miles!

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
GDM is completing my install today for the cp3. It'll be nice to not have to worry about the "what if...and I'm screwed" scenario of the old pump. Looking forward to many more happy miles!
They did mine yesterday! It was a very long day (I guess they over-scheduled other work), but I finally made it home and also made it to work this morning with no problems so far.

I'm hoping my old pump gets a friend over the finish line for the buyback, since his HPFP popped.

Good luck!

citrustaco

TDI
10 Golf
For you guys who went to GDM, did they mention their used pump offering? Or does anybody know someone who bought one? Pretty good discount if the pump is a solid refurb. Something I'm considering if I can't find a CP3 takeoff from somebody doing the buyback.

Rhino1829

TDI
2012 Golf Tdi 4dr m/t
Les literally at this point has only 1 new pump in stock,but also has several used pumps for the kits. I went with a used one. Based on the discussion that I had with him, the used pumps have 20-30 km on them. So figure 10-15k miles. For the cost savings there is really not much if any advantage buying new. He also uses the used pumps on his shop cars.

Last edited:

citrustaco

TDI
10 Golf
Les literally at this point has only 1 new pump in stock. I went with a used one. Based on the discussion that I had with him, the used pumps have 20-30 km on them. So figure 10-15k miles. For the cost savings there is really not much if any advantage buying new. He also uses the used pumps on his shop cars.
Good info thanks. With that few miles seems like a no brainer.

The dilemma of waiting for a used deal vs just pulling the trigger.

Last edited:

2micron

Vendor
TDI
None
They do lol!! Overall I would say I'm happy so far. Hoping to pick up a mpg or two as well.
....now we need fresh pictures !!!!!
Nice to see a couple more CP3 powered CR Tdi's out there!!!
Awesome!
More CP3 kits at the vendors shelves very soon!!
All the best,
Andrew

djeden

TDI
2012 JSW, 2000 Jetta
Got my cp3 pump done with mircon filtration system at 209700km
Also did alternator
Serpentine belt and tensioner
Dog bone mount insert
So far happy with with it.
Just testing out fuels with it.
Tried petro canada ultra low diesel
Now on to v power shell diesel
Anyone know where I can get my old hpfp and alternator rebuilt.
Where did you get this done, if you don't mind sharing (you can PM me if you want)?

I'm local to you (Mississauga) and all I've been able to find are US shops and sources.

Coming up on 230,000 KM on my 2012 Golf Wagon and the DPF is toast, looking into making this car bulletproof and taking it to 500K

McGuirk

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 TDI
Add me to the list. Just finished a rebuild on my salvage 2012 jsw. 98k odometer, did the timing belt, serpentine belt and tensioner, 2micron timing belt cover, cp3, complete interior gut job, cleaning, and reinstall, retro fit bi-xenon with afs, new a3 intercooler, radiator, and condenser, intake manifold, and OEM fog lights. Not in that particular order mind you. Now it needs a new paint job and FL rebuilt inspection. Runs amazing. Starts up almost instantly with the cp3.

Last edited:

YukonLT

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Add me to the list. Just finished a rebuild on my salvage 2012 jsw. 98k odometer, did the timing belt, serpentine belt and tensioner, 2micron timing belt cover, cp3, complete interior gut job, cleaning, and reinstall, retro fit bi-xenon with afs, new a3 intercooler, radiator, and condenser, intake manifold, and OEM fog lights. Not in that particular order mind you. Now it needs a new paint job and FL rebuilt inspection. Runs amazing. Starts up almost instantly with the cp3.
Added, congrats!

skycrane

TDI
Just put my deposit down at the shop:) it should be done in a few weeks as they wait on all the other parts to show up

skycrane

TDI
hey guys, ive got a question, should i go with a new pump or the reman one? one of the sites wont have a new pump till the first week of dec, and the other just has one reman pump left. and im trying to figure out if i should wait or not. thanks for the help

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
hey guys, ive got a question, should i go with a new pump or the reman one? one of the sites wont have a new pump till the first week of dec, and the other just has one reman pump left. and im trying to figure out if i should wait or not. thanks for the help
I opted for a used pump. In part I did that to save some cash, but more so because it sounds like it really is the right way to proceed considering the robust nature of the better pump. Besides, the rest of my car was used for 140K miles so the used pump fits right in. ;)

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Bought the reman pump to save cash and on the recommendation of GDM. Have 10k on the used pump so far and not a single problem or hiccup.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
I'm in CT. Does anyone know the closest guru who can do this upgrade? I would travel a few hours to get it done.

I am not sure meganuke (in CT) does work on CRs, but not sure he is on TDIClub anymore either as his last post was in 2014 did not respond to my PMs.

Last edited:

2micron

Vendor
TDI
None
I'm in CT. Does anyone know the closest guru who can do this upgrade? I would travel a few hours to get it done.
I am not sure meganuke (in CT) does work on CRs, but not sure he is on TDIClub anymore either as his last post was in 2014 did not respond to my PMs.
Hello Strange!!
Anyone comfortable with a timing belt replacement can do this job. To install the CP3 kit, it is very easy and everything included. There has even been a VW dealer install recently.
I am also here to help via email and text if any issues arise.
Have a look here at the install instructions:
AARodriguiz:
http://www.fixmyvw.com/2micron-cp3-retrofit-pump-kit-for-cr-tdis/
Hope this helps??
Thanks!!!
Andrew
tdi2micron@yahoo.ca

mpriolo

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan, DSG, CP3 HPFP
Chris,

I had the CP3 pump upgrade done in Concord NH by an independent shop that has been taking care of my diesel VWs since the early 90's. They didn't have any issue doing the install. As Andrew mentioned, it was straight forward to do. They also did a TB service at the same time. I am sure they would be happy to install the CP3 pump for you. If you are interested, PM me and I'll send along the info on the shop.

Regards,

Marty

lynnejohn

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI

I know he is a bit far but Mike of 413 Auto repair(Westfield, MA) did my CP3 install.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
Chris,

I had the CP3 pump upgrade done in Concord NH by an independent shop that has been taking care of my diesel VWs since the early 90's. They didn't have any issue doing the install. As Andrew mentioned, it was straight forward to do. They also did a TB service at the same time. I am sure they would be happy to install the CP3 pump for you. If you are interested, PM me and I'll send along the info on the shop.

Regards,

Marty
Concord isn't to bad either, as I went to Maine to meet HermTDI to get my first timing belt done on my '99 ALH back in the day.