TDIclub Secret Society of BMW Owners (SSBMWO)

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
I have upgraded to Eibach springs and Koni Yellows with 513M forged wheels of of an M3 wrapped in MPSS. Significant weight savings on all 4 corners. She handles like she is on rails now. Bushings in rear along with a diff brace help a ton too. Used 335d are now selling in the low teens and very easily modded to 380+hp/600ftlb on stock turbos.
^^X2. I swapped wheels and tires and lost 16 lb's per wheel, and it makes a massive improvement to handling. Went from the crappy staggered 19" setup with huge rubber to 18" all around (edit: 17" wheel/tire combos all around) with 'right sized' Yoko's. I love it much more now handling wise. Also riding on KW coilovers which is nice and controlled.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Nick what width front tires are you running? I'd love to go with a 245 square setup but wondered if the fronts will clear.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Nick what width front tires are you running? I'd love to go with a 245 square setup but wondered if the fronts will clear.
Whoops, I mis posted. I had changed to 17" all around. I dug up the tire rack order confirmation:

17X8 KOSEI K5R LT GREY -4
225/45R-17 YOKOHAMA AVID ASCEND (H- OR V-SPEED RATED) SL -4

And from what I can tell, the 245's will *probably* clear at stock ride height or near to it. I've got my KW's as high as they will go.

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
I run a 235/40R18 MPSS upfront on 18x9"ET 29. No issues. I hear 255/35R18 will clear on a stock sport suspension. Drop the folks at Apex a quick email, they were tremendously helpful with wheel tire combo fitment.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
I'm just curious what your best 1/4 mile time is in the TDI. There are some 335d examples laying down high 11s to mid 12s range depending on rear tire set-up. Below is an example, from back in 2014. Now a stage 4 tune with hybrid turbos, if you are talking mod for mod, is pushing around 500hp/700ft/lb...looking at around $5-6K to go that route.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=986844
that is an unfair comparison on the 1/4 mile cause my golf tdi front wheel drive would never hook up like my 335d rear wheel drive,,, that is why I said that from a dead stop 335d is faster than my golf,,

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Whoops, I mis posted. I had changed to 17" all around. I dug up the tire rack order confirmation:
17X8 KOSEI K5R LT GREY -4
225/45R-17 YOKOHAMA AVID ASCEND (H- OR V-SPEED RATED) SL -4
I'm running the same wheels with Contis. Huge weight savings.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
that is an unfair comparison on the 1/4 mile cause my golf tdi front wheel drive would never hook up like my 335d rear wheel drive,,, that is why I said that from a dead stop 335d is faster than my golf,,
I'm not trying to get in the middle of this, but you did state "335d will walk away from golf from a dead stop, but golf will blow doors off 335d within 1/4 mile" so it seems to me like he has a fair question... :confused:

I think his point was pretty fair... You've built your Golf well and no doubt it is crazy fun to drive; but dollar for dollar the 335D is always going to be the faster car...

In other words, do the equivalent amount of work to your 335D that you've done to your Golf and then report on which is faster :D

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
I'm not trying to get in the middle of this, but you did state "335d will walk away from golf from a dead stop, but golf will blow doors off 335d within 1/4 mile" so it seems to me like he has a fair question... :confused:
I think his point was pretty fair... You've built your Golf well and no doubt it is crazy fun to drive; but dollar for dollar the 335D is always going to be the faster car...
In other words, do the equivalent amount of work to your 335D that you've done to your Golf and then report on which is faster :D
Thank you Dub. You summarized my point well. I am just genuinely curious. Those 1/4 mile times I quoted were on stock turbos, probably some of the lower times spraying meth. We can expand this to 1/2 mile times if it helps. The 335d is no slouch from a roll, especially if that big turbo is spooled up so I am just having a hard time envisioning a golf killing this car from a roll when that's where this car excels. For what it is worth, the 335D sucks at launching with the e-diff set-up, which is why a lot of folks are opting to install LSDs.

I am a big fan of reviewing time slips, as they tell the story well, better than a dyno.

Last edited:

temporaptor

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta TDI 11 335D M-Sport
I liked my gtb1756vk Jetta but the 335d is way better.
I demolished a deleted stage 2.5R 335d (my old car) with my V10 TDI Touareg (tuned) 0-60 . Now given a longer track, he would have reeled me in.

If anyone doesn't think the 335d interior comfort is good enough, my X5d is on another level with passenger comfort and quiet cabin.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh man it seems that with my comment im getting flamed by 335D owners, I'm mechanically inclined I'd say, services and putting engine together i did most of it, so 25k is not near what I spent on my golf way less than that, by the way my 335D is tuned and is hopping around 325-330hp with other things i did to it, ok so let's put the comparison together 335d 6 cyl 3.0 twin turbo vs 2.0 4cyl golf gtb2260vk single turbo, my golf weighs 2850lbs vs 3850 335d, 1000lbs lighter, my golf (guessing right now is about same hp thanmy 335d, so guess which car is quicker? 335d will walk away from golf from a dead stop, but golf will blow doors off 335d within 1/4 mile,

Did you read this? From a dead stop

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
sorry that I'm hurting the feeling for most the BMW diesel crowd, but 1st off, this is solely a statement and only comparison between my 2 cars, and no matter how you try to say this or that at this time my golf will always prevail against my beautiful 335d and it would silly to say that 335d would not have the potential to be faster than my golf with more mods, which I never even said that either, but it seems that is a very touchy and sensitive statement I made towards you guys. take it as you wish but it is what it is, and also in my posting I never said my golf is faster than any of your bmw diesel either.

Changing subjects I am reading about shaving some weight and putting on a diet my 335d I am reading very careful from your post about rims and tires, I still got run flats and I will get rid of them when I wear them out, looking for 17 light rims and tires down the line, I would like something to match the space grey color in my car. anybody know approx. what kind of weight shavings you would get from a good light set up rims and tires,,, I definitely do not know how much weight the run flat tire and oem rims weigh on this 335d??

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI

That's with Conti Extreme Contacts, none of which turned out to be round. Warrantied them. Now I have Conti DWSs on, but the weight is similar. IIRC these saved 12 lbs. a corner. That's huge.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI

That's with Conti Extreme Contacts, none of which turned out to be round. Warrantied them. Now I have Conti DWSs on, but the weight is similar. IIRC these saved 12 lbs. a corner. That's huge.
Peter that's a nice set up, so 12lbs per tire that's a lot, what kind of rim is it on the pic? That is nice and if you'd be able to pls share the weight on it i got bmw oem rims does anybody know how much they weigh?

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
They're 17" Kosei K5Rs, weigh 16 lbs. OE wheels are HEAVY, I bet they weigh 25-28 lbs. Run flats are heavy too.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
Very nice,, these stock brakes are messy they release a lot of dust on the wheel, i may have to look at some hawk or akebono pads low dust

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Nice! I just replaced my brakes through Turner, didn't know you carried brakes parts unfortunately... Guess I need to take a closer look at your inventory :p

Love those wheels too; great weight savings. I want some lightweight bronze wheels, as I think they'd look amazing with the mineral white. Unfortunately, I need to buy another car for my son so mad money is pretty slim right now...

Max; you aren't hurting our feelings at all man; we are just trying to figure out what you are saying because you said one thing, got asked a question, then said the question was unfair and said something else...

I could care less if your golf is the fastest diesel in the world, and I could care less if you think the BMW sucks (I know you don't, just saying it is irrelevant)... You should probably re-read all those posts, particularly yours, and maybe you'll see why you are just creating confusion... ;)

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Shameless plug: We have ceramic pads https://www.idparts.com/idparts-ceramic-front-brake-pads-e90-p-5404.html. They're going on my car in the Spring. I have these on my wagon and the wheels stay really clean.
I have low dust ceramics on my 335d and OEM (clean the wheels once a week) on my X535d, and I almost bounce my head off the windshield every time I drive the wife's X5 because the brakes grab so much harder with the same pedal effort.

I'll be interested to see your opinion on the ceramics vs the OEM pads on your 335d.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Ceramics in general don't grab as hard initially as organic pads. I'm probably a bad test subject as I tend not to use my brakes.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
So Peter if you claim 12lbs less with the tires when you switch to contis, and i googled and you were right oem rims are in the 28lbs, so if im doing my math right 12lbs less on tires and 12lbs less with kosei rims k5, thats 24lbs per wheel then? That's like 96lbs total

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I don't think the tires are 12 lbs. less. Probably half that. So maybe my 12 estimate was low, but not low by half. Maybe 14-18 lbs. per corner. Still very significant.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Especially since it's both unsprung weight and rotational mass. Probably feels like a couple hundred pound + difference in cargo weight.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG Comfortline+Sport Pkg
What tires are on the car? Runflats are famous for driving like crap.
Staggered Goodyear Eagle F1 RFT OEM. My winter setup is a squared 225/45/18 Nokian HKP2 non RFT and it feel no different as far as a solid centered feel on the steering wheel.

Last edited:

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG Comfortline+Sport Pkg
I love the Sport package. The seats and styling are just fantastic!

Couple questions regarding the '14 328d...

What's the current thinking about adding PowerService or other brand of additive? I have seen the "no additives" sticker on the car.

Also, I was thinking about getting it undercoated. I live in New York snow and salty climate (north of Buffalo). I've never had any of my cars sprayed with coating but I've had plenty of rusty nasty hardware to deal with in the past.
I've been using OptiLube since brand new delivery (July 2017). (the green stuff in the summer and the red container for winter) car currently has 30,000KM+.

sackman

Veteran Member
TDI
2(2003) 2Dr ARL/ASV
Did you read your own post? You are literally the one claiming your Golf is faster in a 1/4 mile...:confused:
...Changing subjects I am reading about shaving some weight and putting on a diet..
So wait..you said you're going vegan? :confused:
*buys a tesla to retire the merry-go-round conversation..in enters guy with 400hp prius:'oh hi'*
:D

Last edited: