Engine noise in winter

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
This was really evident yesterday. My car was in our 50* heated garage plugged in to the frostheater. Out side was 20*. The first leg of my trip it was really quiet [like summer], but, after being parked a few hours, even with foam ear plugs, it was super noisy. Damn! AHL's are not nice in that way. I know ---preaching to the choir.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
I have two Alh tdi's , I don't find them any more noisier in the summer than the winter other than the initial start up for maybe couple minutes or soon winter

Bajan

migbro

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL
This was really evident yesterday. My car was in our 50* heated garage plugged in to the frostheater. Out side was 20*. The first leg of my trip it was really quiet [like summer], but, after being parked a few hours, even with foam ear plugs, it was super noisy. Damn! AHL's are not nice in that way. I know ---preaching to the choir.
Ear plugs? That does not sound right at all. My engine sounds the same summer or winter when it has warmed up. Even when cold it is only a little louder.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Based on the ear plug comment, I think the OP has sensitive hearing. The ALH is definitely not a quiet engine and diesels are typically a little louder when they're cold.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
I've found two things that can cause extra noise especialy in the winter for some reason.
1) if the injection timing is too far advanced, they will "rattle" more.
2) The exhaust system touching the body, axle or cross member will, of coarse, greatly increase cabin noise. I find this tends to happen much more often in cold weather....ice build up under the car may contribute to this.
Check for broken/wore hangers and motor mounts or improper clearances....especially with oversized/aftermarket exhausts.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I had the "10% pilot-injection" (or what ever it is called) done to my injectors/nozzles just recently and if you want to hear a noisy-a$$ ALH at idle, just ask me and I will post the recording. I can't tell it made any difference in power or throttle response, but I cannot believe how much louder my car is now.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Pilot injection is supposed to make it quieter. I know my F-350 6.0 PowerStroke was very quiet with pilot injection enabled, but it caused premature injector wear. With it disabled, the truck was much louder at idle. I should have gotten some comparison recordings when I still had it.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Perhaps depends on injection timing. My ALH cars are noticeably more "rattle" in cold conditions until warmed up than in warm ambient temps.
I Tend to run a bit more advance timing than "normal".

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Okay, my timing is set at 75 degrees... Maybe that has something to do with the noise; the pump was just rebuilt by DFIS so I am not inclined to believe the noise is caused by a by-product of the rebuilt pump.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Okay, my timing is set at 75 degrees... Maybe that has something to do with the noise; the pump was just rebuilt by DFIS so I am not inclined to believe the noise is caused by a by-product of the rebuilt pump.

75*??
Don't know about that, but when cold mine will the advance up to 16* maybe more and rattle pretty good until warm(er).
Haven't noticed any extra IP associated noise when cold, just normal extra diesel clatter.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Why are people sitting around and idling their cars so much? Get those engine RPMs cranked up and these engines are as quiet as any out there.;)

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Why are people sitting around and idling their cars so much? Get those engine RPMs cranked up and these engines are as quiet as any out there.;)

Obviously it's climate related.
When you start an Alh in 5* or colder temperatures you'll understand, getting the rpms up is not good practice.

Bajan

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Obviously it's climate related.
When you start an Alh in 5* or colder temperatures you'll understand, getting the rpms up is not good practice.

Bajan
One does not idle a diesel. I"m NOT talking about racing the engine or putting in under hard boost.

I'm quite aware of what a noisy diesel is like. I've got IDIs, that even in my mild cold winters make quite a racket. But, here too I don't leave things running (because they'll never get warm, in which case sitting there listening to them clatter and then complaining about the noise seems like a circular function).

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
One does not idle a diesel. I"m NOT talking about racing the engine or putting in under hard boost.

I'm quite aware of what a noisy diesel is like. I've got IDIs, that even in my mild cold winters make quite a racket. But, here too I don't leave things running (because they'll never get warm, in which case sitting there listening to them clatter and then complaining about the noise seems like a circular function).

We can go back and forth all day. I own 2 tdi's plus operate heavy equipment for a living for almost 30yrs,so I have an understanding for diesels.
Having one idle doesn't hurt anything.
Remember it my car right.

Bajan