Auto diesel vs. diesel?

Jackmc

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen
Hi all,

I'm still new to this diesel business. (I'm on my fourth tank of diesel.) I've noticed that sometimes I see stations that advertise "auto diesel #2" and other stations that simply say "diesel #2" are they both the same? And what is diesel #1?

------------------
Jack from Anaheim
'70 Convertible VW Bug.
'00 Silver NB TDI Auto.

ThinkDiesel

Veteran Member
Diesel #2 should be the same deal whether or not it says "auto diesel" or not.

It's probably just different labeling. The best advice is to get high cetane fuel like Amoco premier of Koch Gold if you can. They run around 47-50 cetane.

If they are unavailable stick to truck stops and/or newer service stations. Stay away from the old stations with seperate diesel pumps 'round back that look older than you are. I learned that the HARD way.

Diesel # 1 is essentially kerosene. A lighter thinner version of Diesel #2. It is right between Gasoline and Diesel #2 in terms of refining.

Diesel #1/kersosene does not provide optimum energy or adequate lubrication for your fuel pump. Do not run your car on that stuff. Mixing a small amount...say 10% with your fuel in extremely cold temperatures is acceptable, but it will cost you fuel mileage and there are additves out there like Power Service and Chevron DieselMotive that are alot better for your engine then kerosene.

Hope that helps

------------------
Ryan

New Jetta GL TDI
Atlantic blue w/gray

My other car is a Specialized Stumpjumper.

TDI Believer

Responsible For Global Warming
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Anytime I've seen the term "auto diesel", it has referred to station pumps with the smaller, car-sized nozzle rather than the huge nozzles used to fill the big trucks. The fuel is the same though. Nothing special.

Ric Woodruff

BANNED, Ric went to Coventry.
TDIBeliver is right on the money. Also, perhaps the stations are saying "Trucks stay away!" (due to space or vertical clearance restrictions, perhaps).

Maybe too, there is a psychological effect, giving auto diesel motorists confidence that they are at the "right" pump.

I have also seen stations that look like they are predominantly or only for cars, that have a sign saying "Truck Diesel" to attract trucks that might feel unwelcomed otherwise.

------------------
Ric Woodruff

Braumeister von Sehr Gutem Bier
Since the Last Millennium

1998 Jetta TDI Sport

"...take it easy on me... I used to drive a Gremlin..."

Jackmc

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen
Thanks for the always great info guys!

------------------
Jack from Anaheim
'70 Convertible VW Bug.
'00 Silver NB TDI Auto.

ThinkDiesel

Veteran Member
Yep, I used one of those truck nozzles in Vermont a few months back. The plus is that they fill SUPER fast, the fuel comes out so quick and in such volume that the handle actually recoils in your hand like you just fired a pistol!

You have to be careful though! I went from a 1/2 tank to full in about 45 seconds...and the surplus wound up on my shoes and the side of my car!

Also thew big nozzle is difficult to vent the tank with...and you may have to put up with people hollering at you that you're using the wrong pump etc..

Try it sometime though.. it's kind of entertaining actually.. hehe

------------------
Ryan

New Jetta GL TDI
Atlantic blue w/gray

My other car is a Specialized Stumpjumper.

jrivers804

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1998, White
At the station I usually buy diesel, cheapest on the Shore, they have 4 diesel pumps with the big truck nozzles and one with the smaller nozzle. I usually use the one for cars but if busy pull up to one of the others, no problems. Odd thing happened the other day, guy with a powerstroke was using the "car pump" so I just pulled up to one of the truck ones about 10 ft. away. The guy with the powerstroke yells to me that that pump won't fit. I stick it in and start fueling telling him, I never had a problem using it. Now I'm wondering does the "big" nozzle not fit the Ford or does this guy only think it won't.

Ric Woodruff

BANNED, Ric went to Coventry.
I bet the Powerstroke guy felt a wee bit of "nozzle envy"! LOL!

------------------
Ric Woodruff

Braumeister von Sehr Gutem Bier
Since the Last Millennium

1998 Jetta TDI Sport

Great band at: www.carolinespine.com

Switca

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
I have used nothing but the big nozzels since day 1. Yeah, it takes longer to get the last gallon in than it does the first 12, but it proves that size does not matter.

------------------
Gregor Switca

Torque is a beautiful thing