40,000 Mile Service

msrtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 jetta
Hey everyone , Im due for my 40,000 mile service on my 2006.5 Jetta TDI. I plan on doing oil filter , fuel filter changes myself, found it to be pretty easy and have never had any problems, with all the good info. i get from this forum. I will also replace air filter and dust pollen filter, which i have done before. I called the local stealership today just to find out what they charge for the 40,000 mile maint. The service advisor quoted me $489.95 for the full service. Since i plan on doing some of the work myself i called back to the stealership and got someone in service to quote me what it would be for each individual thing i wanted done that i feel im unsure about doing myself. Brake Fluid Change: 100.00, Replace Sparkplugs: 150.00 DSG Automatic transmission fluid change:299.00, A total of of 549.00 for just those 3 things. Is that a ripoff or what? 489.00 for the full 40,000 mile service, or 549.00 for the 3 things i listed. Guess i better find a local Guru in my area or learn how to do more maint. on my car.

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
If you can borrow VCDS, do the DSG service yourself. The parts are about $160 but the work is easy. There are good instructions on this site if you don't have a shop manual.

Get a Motive power bleeder to do the brake fluid change. It's also very easy.

Spark plugs don't get changed in a TDI :) but the one thing I would do is flash the ECM for new steel jacketed glow plugs. The old ones are very easy to break so you have to be very careful when pulling them out. I would change the glow plugs myself, leave them disconnected, and let the dealership do the pass-through programming.

Glow plugs are also changed when they fail, not after xyz miles due to the duty cycle being dependent on climate.

whyfish

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW TDI Wagon auto. transmission
???? Sparkplugs???

You can pull that charge for sparkplugs. Your TDI doesn't have any. There's $150 you can deduct right there. Better yet, get a local guru to help you do it all.

msrtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 jetta
Thanks for the quick return, I wasn't paying i guess enough attention when looking thru the maint. booklet, I now noticed it says Sparkplugs:Replace (All models except 2.0L TFSI). That should tell you why i depend on yall for the good info.:eek: . I had no idea it didn't have plugs. But what is bad is, I told the service advisor exactly what kind of car i had and he quoted the price. But hey, I'll give him the benfit of the doudt, and say he didn't hear me correctly, You know the guys at the dealership service Dept. knows everything about these cars.:rolleyes:

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
There is no requirement to have the dealer do any of that work or even supply the parts. You can almost always save money and often get better work by having a local mechanic (ideally a guru recommended here) do the work.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
msrtdi said:
... i called back to the stealership and got someone in service to quote me what it would be for each individual thing i wanted done that i feel im unsure about doing myself. Brake Fluid Change: 100.00, Replace Sparkplugs: 150.00 DSG Automatic transmission fluid change:299.00, A total of of 549.00 for just those 3 things. Is that a ripoff or what?
You might as well learn how to do the every-40k-mile DSG service yourself -- depending on how long you own the car, this could save you thousands.

Brake fluid change is supposed to be every 24 months -- because of high humidity in South Caroline, it would probably be best not to extend much longer than that. I concur on the Motive Power Bleeder -- do your own brakes and then charge all your friends to do theirs.
http://store.motiveproducts.com/

Stay away from VW dealerships except for warranty repairs or recalls.

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
I'll change your TDI's spark plugs for $100 :p

Brake fluid change???? *** is that even needed? I've put 100k on one of my tdi's and haven't touched the brakes, let alone the brake fluid.

If you do want to change your fluid get speed bleeders, Gods gift to at home brake bleeders.

http://www.speedbleeder.com/

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Newzboys said:
I'll change your TDI's spark plugs for $100 :p

Brake fluid change???? *** is that even needed? I've put 100k on one of my tdi's and haven't touched the brakes, let alone the brake fluid.

If you do want to change your fluid get speed bleeders, Gods gift to at home brake bleeders.

http://www.speedbleeder.com/
Yes. Please read your owner's manual. :) Then google the words 'hygroscopic brake fluid' and read up on the science side of it. I think we've explained it enough here already.

Here's a link to save you the trouble:

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/generalinfo/l/bldef_058.htm

Last edited:

wal1809

TDI
2006 Jetta-2002 Beetle
Do the tranny yourself and save a load of money. I printed out the pictures and instructions from this site and did it myself for about $150. the oil is like $20 a quart.

In the insdtructions he tells you to not skip anything. LEARN THAT PART and you will be good to go. You have to get the fluid up to operating temp before you let the snorkal drain it to the correct level.