Tools needed for replacing temp sensor????

samiam

Veteran Member
TDI
A4,2001.5, red
Hey guys- I've read the past postings and there is a mentioning of special tools- WHAT do I need to replace this?

Thanks

Michael

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP: 1999½ New Golf GL TDI satin silver
I finally got around to replacing mine yesterday.

(see my previous thread: Coolant temp sensor disaster)

Tools I used:
<ul type="square">[*]Latex gloves (doubled up - the coolant was still hot)
[*]Paper towels
[*]Measuring cup
[*]Hemostat (to remove my jury-rigged paper clip holding it in place from before)
[*]Spray hose at carwash[/list]That's all. Piece of cake this time.

Brian24

Veteran Member
If you are talking about the coolant temp sensor you don't need any special tools.
I would recommend having a spare retainer clip on hand for the replacement. The sensor is held in place with a cheesy plastic clip that broke when I removed mine.
When you are ready to pull out the bad sensor have the new one in your other hand. Do a quick switcheroo and you'll only lose a tiny amount of fluid. No need to drain the entire system.

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
.......Do a quick switcheroo and you'll only lose a tiny amount of fluid. No need to drain the entire system.
That works if the o-ring does not stay in the housing upon removal. Mine stayed in the housing, and I wound up just letting the excess drain out.

Davin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS 5spd blk/blk
Ah... for some reason I automatically though of the fuel pump temp sensor. If you're replacing the coolant sensor then of course you don't need the special metalnerd socket.