2015 NMS Passat

rbreding

TDI
2015 JSEL (buyback) 2015 PSEL (buyback) 2016 328d (keeper)
2015 NMS Passat TPMS?

I can't seem to get 100% clarification on a new set of wheels for our passat. Do our US versions have the TPMS air sensors in the wheels themselves or do ours use the ABS sensors to monitor wheel speed to detect anomalies in the air pressure to trigger the dash light ? Searching the forums wasn't clear on this and when looking for wheels the various website vendors give conflicting accounts of need/not need for TMPS in wheel.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Vw only used the sensors in 2009 as a patch job to meet the TPMS requirement until they could get the ABS based system certified in the US, which happened in 2010.

The NMS passat does not use the sensor system, it uses the ABS system.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
I have a 2013 with the ABS based system, and frankly, were I given the choice, I think I would have taken the sensor based system instead. This system works, but the lack of pressure readout makes it seem crude by comparison, in that you never can tell what pressure is actually in the tire . . .

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Actually, I dont think Vw's sensor based system displayed the pressures either.

I know my 09 Jetta didnt.

I would rather not have the expense of four $150 sensors every 4 years or so.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I would rather not have the expense of four $150 sensors every 4 years or so.
I actually tend to agree, but you can find the sensors for about $60 (if you don't buy them from a dealer) and my sensors are now about 7.5 years old and still functioning. I expect them to fail one of these days, but they are still working, for now. If I still own the car when they fail, I will just switch to the ABS TPMS method.

Have Fun!

Don

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
From what I've read it is that if your valve stems are rubber, then you do not have sensors.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
My Cherokee has TMPS. You can rebuild these (corroded/cracked/leaky stems etc) for dirt cheap, at $5 per, kits available @ Amazon. Or buy a whole new one for ~$30 (Doorman @ Amazon). But they are PITA, especially when not negotiating properly with ECU.

I like the ABS-sensor-based system more, it alerts you to a problem and that's all you really need.

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
"If I still own the car when they fail, I will just switch to the ABS TPMS method."

Great idea, here is the procedure to toggle between sensor and ABS-based TPMS :

1) Sell car with sensor-based TPMS
2) Buy new car with ABS-based TPMS

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
"If I still own the car when they fail, I will just switch to the ABS TPMS method."

Great idea, here is the procedure to toggle between sensor and ABS-based TPMS :

1) Sell car with sensor-based TPMS
2) Buy new car with ABS-based TPMS
Actually for a 2009 TDI, this is the procedure: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=301756
There is no need to sell or buy a car, just change some coding with VCDS. I have done this for other people but have not yet needed to do it for my car. As long as you have the correct ABS controller, it will work.

Have Fun!

Don

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
My 2010 has the sensors. When I got a second set of rims I bought a set of four brand new sensors for about $120 through a vendor on VWVortex.

I prefer sensors to the ABS system because it is more accurate, and if all four tires are low the ABS might not trigger.

What I don't like about the sensors is that you don't have any kind of readout of pressure or what wheel it is. Also, if you get a flat and put the spare on you will have the TPMS light on until you fix the flat. This means you have no idea what is going on with the other tires.