Buying a 2002 Golf, couple of questions

ben22

TDI
2002 Golf MkIV
Hi TDIClub,
I have just discovered these awesome cars and I'm picking one up next week. First of all, I noticed the car was made in Brasil... so what engine do I have? I'm hoping it's the ALH but I couldn't really figure it out.
Second, I checked everything I could on the test drive but I didn't look at the radiator which people say needs to be cleaned (I think that's it) and I don't know how to tell if it's ok. I also felt that the car was slower than expected. People say these cars are "peppy" but are my expectations confused by a lifetime of driving gasoline engines?
Thanks!

Last edited:

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"
How did you notice it was made in Brazil?
The VIN will reveal where the car was built...
The TDI's power/torque/peppiness occurs much lower in the rev range than a gas powered engine...
I shift the transmission around 2500 rpm and let the diesel do the work...whenever I'm merging onto a freeway, I go full throttle in the lower gear until 4000 rpm before upshifting to exercise the engine and release any accumulated soot from the turbo.
Never had a problem with radiator or heard of others with persistent radiator problems

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
  • so what engine do I have? I'm hoping it's the ALH but I couldn't really figure it out.
  • Second, I checked everything I could on the test drive but I didn't look at the radiator which people say needs to be cleaned (I think that's it) and I don't know how to tell if it's ok.
  • I also felt that the car was slower than expected.
Ben, welcome aboard!

Firstly, it's certainly an ALH motor assuming it was sold in the USA.

When the radiator is all trashed out, it means that someone has polluted the system with traditional green coolant. It's a toxic situation and will require $$$ to repair.

Was the car owned/driven by old folks? Could be a wasted actuator on the turbo or a completely plugged up intake manifold...or maybe something simple like the snow screen.

Don't belittle problems with these cars. They're big $$$ to repair when sick.

How's the rust. Has this poor car lived in VT all its life :confused:

ben22

TDI
2002 Golf MkIV
Thanks Dieseldorf,

Unfortunately it has been in VT since the beginning, but I looked under the car as best I could and I did not see any significant rust besides little clips or brackets etc. I'm hoping that my untrained eye could have picked up on anything serious in that area... I guess we'll find out when I take it to a mechanic.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I bet they were talking about the intake needing cleaning, not the radiator. And as dieseldorf said, it may not be making boost so it would feel slow. You might want to take it to Full Circle Automotive in Waitsfield if he's nearby. Jason knows his TDIs, and if you go to someone who doesn't you could spend a lot of $$ with little to show for it.

Welcome!