Where can I get an extra ECM that will work with a 2013 A3 TDI

Basenji

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Audi A3 TDI
I want to get my '13 A3 Premium Plus chipped. I talked to the dealer and they told me that whenever the car goes in for service it gets scanned and the Malone tune shows up. Audi USA doesn't like that and voids the engine warranty. The dealer recommended that I get a spare ECM/ECU, have Malone work their magic and keep the original to put in when I get service. Where can I find one?

Last edited:

langer

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 a3 & '07 gasser gti
I want to get my '13 A3 Premium Plus chipped. I talked to the dealer and they told me that whenever the car goes in for service it gets scanned and the Malone tune shows up. Audi USA doesn't like that and voids the engine warranty. The dealer recommended that I get a spare ECM/ECU, have Malone work their magic and keep the original to put in when I get service. Where can I find one?
Happened to my '07 gti. VW saw it was reflashed and voided my certified pre-owned warranty. You might want to pick a local tuner, maybe revo or apr and they can reflash back to stock when you have work done. Much easier than dropping your ecu in the mail. I'm holding off on tuning my '12 a3 tdi for the very same reason.

palewhitemale

TDI
A3
Also, it isn't just the year you need to match up. You have to make sure it's the same box code and possibly some other factors.
Talk to Malone and they can give you the specifics of how to shop for the right one.

-bill

jnmarshall

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta, '13 JSW
Let me know how this works out. I tried to do this last year with a '12 jetta TDI sedan and it didn't work as planned. Having a spare ecu worked fine. BUT the immobilizer has to be recoded by the dealer each time you swap the ecu. The dealer could not get the immobilizer to work with both ECUs in a way that allowed them to be swappable. Maybe Audi is different?