Loud 'rattle' and 'clanging' noise on cold start up - Is it normal??

hoorders

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Hi everyone. These diesel's are new to me so im still (slowly but surely) learning more and more about them.....thanks to all you!!!!

My 2003 wagon, on just a couple of the past cold mornings, has had this crazy loud rattle and clanging noise going on. I dont think its the normal diesel engine racket. It will come and go every few seconds and only last a few minutes. On warmer mornings it does not do this. The only thing I have noticed lately is the the battery light has flickered on and off every once in a while....so could this noise im hearing be the pulley on the alternator??? This rattle isn't consistent when the battery light flickers though....wish it was so I would just about know for sure that it was the alternator. I have another alternator I will be putting in it soon. Im hoping the find that the pulley on the alternator I take out has lots of play or something. This is a hard one to pin point because of its short duration.

Has anyone experience something like this or is this something normal???

Thanks!!

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Disconnect the acc belt and start it, if it goes away then spin by hand the alt pulley, it should spin in one direction and freewheel in the other and be smooth.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Better yet, take the belt off of the alternator, block the fan inside the alternator with a screw driver and by hand, try to turn the pulley in both directions. It should not turn in one direction and turn smoothly in the other direction.

If the pulley is bad, you can get a new pulley and the special tool to change it from one of our vendors. IIRC, the pulley on an ALH can be changed witout removing the alternator.

hoorders

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
So I picked up an alternator from the wreckers and its pretty much exactly the same as the one I just pulled out except it does not have the clutch/pulley. All the same plugs on the back, etc and the wreckers say the part number is for my jetta. It just has the regular pulley. Can i put this on my TDI?? Out of the dozens of alternators i have changed over the years on all kinds of cars(except vw...lol) I have never seen this clutch type pulley on an alternator.