Passat NMS VCDS Tricks / Upgrades

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Two things: 1) I am getting VAG-COM, and 2) I don't intend to breathe a word about it when I take it in to the dealer for service. After the warranty is up, who cares.......

EricEE

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL 55K+ miles
Has any way been found to disable having the temp and interior fan changes come up on the nav screen? It is a bit annoying and redundent.

rojovilla

TDI
2013 VW Passat TDi SEL Opera Red/Cornsilk Beige
Has any way been found to disable having the temp and interior fan changes come up on the nav screen? It is a bit annoying and redundent.
Setup -> System -> Climate Displays

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

wild_phil

TDI
None yet
Can I turn one or both of my 12v ports on when the car is off with VCDS?

Learning about TDI's.

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat NMS TDI SEL Premium
Can I turn one or both of my 12v ports on when the car is off with VCDS?

Learning about TDI's.
No, however you could modify the fuse/ safety part (forgot its name) to constantly supply power, however i would worry about doing this because:
(sorted by :eek: danger level as follows)

A. what if a coin or something similar were to fall into it- it might(however-unlikely...) Fry something VERY expensive in the Central Electronics Control Module instead of just blowing a fuse!:eek::eek::eek:

C. if you did this and a dealer CAUGHT you... kiss your warranty's a** goodbye:eek::eek:

B. it could allow a vampire load to kill your battery if you were to forget to unplug something:eek:(oops)

D. taking the tiny thing apart is also a ROYAL PITA!:(

Conclusion: so ask yourself is the 5-30 minutes of work really worth all the risks for such a tiny gain... it is your car NOT mine so think about what you are doing some before you do this mod...

idesi1

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Is there a way to keep the home link button's working after turning off the car? I always have to turn on the car and use the home link its annoying. If there is a fix pls do let us knw.
Thanks

Ace Deprave

Veteran Member
TDI
Former owner of a 2012 Passat SE TDI (traded for a 2015 Golf R)
Is there a way to keep the home link button's working after turning off the car? I always have to turn on the car and use the home link its annoying. If there is a fix pls do let us knw.
Thanks
It is designed that way so someone can't break into your car and open your garage door.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Exactly! Myself, I'd be mad if it stayed alive post key. It's a simple matter of reprogramming yourself to open/close the door while the car is on.

- Tim

Gigafast2000

TDI
2012 Passat
You can also set the turn signals to turn off the DRL on the side where the turn signal is flashing. This help the turn signal to stand out.
--
Enable fog lights use with high beams on.
--
Increase the voltage to the headlights and taillights for brighter lighting. (I set them to 13.0 volts, instead of the 12.6 v that was factory set.)
Can you tell me how?
Thanks

panther_v

TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
A question for y'all code breakers...

Hi, I have my '13 Passat for a month now. One thing i noticed with the DSG tranny, which I don't like much.....

When I am at full stop with drive shift in "D", as soon as I let go of brake pedal pressure (even just slightly), I can feel the engine rev up slightly and clutch engaging and car wants to creep forward.

Can this be adjusted and/or disabled in VCDS?

I recall driving a friend's MR2 and M3 with sequential gear box. Even in "D", as long as you don't press gas pedal, the wheel is totally disengaged from the tranny.

Thanks in advance.

panther_v

TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
Controlling Navigation system from steering wheel

Hi, I activated navigation voice command control via VCDS few weeks ago, but couldn't figure out why I can't "speak" to nav system with the button on the steering wheel. I was only able to voice control the nav system with the start button next to cd insert.

Did some research and found a 2 yr old thread in vwnavi forum. If you just go in VCDS, under telephone77, coding, long code helper, byte 1 bit 0, to turn on "Voice Operation inactive".

I tried afterwards and it works! Now I can control nav directly from steering wheel.

I don't recall seeing this instruction in this thread, hope it's not duplicated.

Thank you for reading.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Hi, I have my '13 Passat for a month now. One thing i noticed with the DSG tranny, which I don't like much.....
When I am at full stop with drive shift in "D", as soon as I let go of brake pedal pressure (even just slightly), I can feel the engine rev up slightly and clutch engaging and car wants to creep forward.
Can this be adjusted and/or disabled in VCDS?
I recall driving a friend's MR2 and M3 with sequential gear box. Even in "D", as long as you don't press gas pedal, the wheel is totally disengaged from the tranny.
Thanks in advance.
No. You can not disable the DSG's "creep" behavior. It might be possible to do with a DSG tune - you'll want to contact Mark Malone for more information. I don't recommend doing it though because it would make stop and go traffic very annoying.

ColoradoDriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Previously: 2012 Candy White Passat TDI SEL. Sold back to VW. Now: Only gas vehicles, including 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
Can you tell me how?
Thanks
To make the lights brighter:
09- Central Elect.
Long Coding
Byte 19
Bit 0-3 (Pull Down Choice 08 for 13.0 volts)
While there, suggest:
Byte 19
Bit 4-7 (Pull Down Choice 80 for tail lights 13.0 volts)
Bob

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
No. You can not disable the DSG's "creep" behavior. It might be possible to do with a DSG tune - you'll want to contact Mark Malone for more information. I don't recommend doing it though because it would make stop and go traffic very annoying.
What he said. Most people complain the DSG doesn't engage sooner...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jafische

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 (A3) TDI SEL Premium (Reflex Silver / Moonrock)
It is designed that way so someone can't break into your car and open your garage door.
Heck... if someone is bold enough to break in the car... there is only one step away from breaking in my garage. I see your point though. I would like to see a 1 minute after key off timer to allow a push button active to open/close garage door. Compromise? Yes?

Cerisecons

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
I'll pre-apologize now if this is the wrong section to ask, but I've been searching for what the correct cable to buy for VCDS use, and have seen several types on amazon, but they don't seem to designate what model / year they work on. I just bought the 2013 US Passat TDI, and have a OBD2 Bluetooth that works well with some apps, now to get deeper into the mix with a cable and the program on the laptop, any assistance would be appreciated.

rojovilla

TDI
2013 VW Passat TDi SEL Opera Red/Cornsilk Beige
I'll pre-apologize now if this is the wrong section to ask, but I've been searching for what the correct cable to buy for VCDS use, and have seen several types on amazon, but they don't seem to designate what model / year they work on. I just bought the 2013 US Passat TDI, and have a OBD2 Bluetooth that works well with some apps, now to get deeper into the mix with a cable and the program on the laptop, any assistance would be appreciated.
Ross Tech

Cerisecons

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
Ross Tech

Thank you both, I first saw info on vcds on YouTube and had some direction to check amazon, but the reviews on the no name brands were good to bad and not mentioning model year do I figured you all would know best.
Thank you again. Off to buy.
Any other words of wisdom would be appreciated as this is my first new style vw and second diesel (first tdi...)

Sent from my S4

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Is there a way to have the DSG gear show up on the MFI when not in manual mode?
Yes, but it requires a DSG tune.

In drive it will display D1, D2, D3, D4, D5, D6

In sport it will display S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, S6

In manual it will display 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Ray Khan

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Yes, but it requires a DSG tune.

In drive it will display D1, D2, D3, D4, D5, D6

In sport it will display S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, S6

In manual it will display 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Thanks. Maybe down the road. Pretty sure you can enable this with vcds in the s4 DSG. Too bad.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
There may be a way to do it in VCDS, but I don't know how.

Trvln Canuk

TDI
2013 Passat TL TDI
Have you tried setting the car to UK spec to see what happens. I had a rental Passat while in England and it displayed the D1, D2 etc. from the factory.

Cerisecons

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
Hello again, I'm trying to read all I can here and get all the info so I can jump in headlong. On the VCDS / Ross-Tech cable purchase which was previously suggested, are you purchasing the $250 version with cable and software or is there something else? I noticed a $99 software license but didn't know how that would apply. Sorry for all these noob questions but I like to be fully informed before purchasing so I don't waste money that could go to more toys. And if there is another site or link to get more information from that would be helpful. I did go to the Ross-Tech site and checked out some YouTube links but that's it so far. My TDI Passat is new, so possibly I'm looking at this technology before I'd need it?
Thanks again for the info.

SoCalGolfTDI

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE, 6-Speed Manual.
Originally posted by vw_norm
To enable single side Park Lights (when car is off): Hard code bit 1 to 1 in the binary block, click in the HEX block and press enter. If only bit 0 (far right) is 1 and bit 1 is 1, then your HEX should be 03. You can just enter 03 in the long coding editor block, or whatever your binary comes out to in HEX with bit 1 as a 1.
Tried this and it had no effect at all. I've got stock head/tail lights. Thanks for the link to the long code calculator - very helpful.

Last edited:

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Hello again, I'm trying to read all I can here and get all the info so I can jump in headlong. On the VCDS / Ross-Tech cable purchase which was previously suggested, are you purchasing the $250 version with cable and software or is there something else? I noticed a $99 software license but didn't know how that would apply. Sorry for all these noob questions but I like to be fully informed before purchasing so I don't waste money that could go to more toys. And if there is another site or link to get more information from that would be helpful. I did go to the Ross-Tech site and checked out some YouTube links but that's it so far. My TDI Passat is new, so possibly I'm looking at this technology before I'd need it?
Thanks again for the info.
The $99 license is used if you already have a cable and want to make it 'official' so you can use the latest software. You want the cable/license bundle. http://store.ross-tech.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=RTAC&Tab=3 enter your VIN to see what works. Should be two options. The more expensive is also backwards compatible with older VWs. I need to send my old one back as a "trade-in" on the newer version.

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
Tried this and it had no effect at all. I've got stock head/tail lights. Thanks for the link to the long code calculator - very helpful.
I should add that with OEM byte 18 coding, A0, masked by the 00 dummy code, had no effect either. Once I started getting into the different variations on byte 18 coding while working on the LED tails, this functionality became active.