Engine wont start after i replaced the heater core..

Pcar993

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000 White
I just replaced a leaking heater core and now my engine wont start. It cranks over, all the lights and everything else seems to be working after I put the dashboard back all in. I cant seem to find the reason why the engine wont start. I hope I dont need to take the dashboard out again! Any suggestions??
I just swapped relay 109 with my brother's TDI and no luck. I also checked the EGR butterfly flap and it's not stuck closed. Im running out of ideas...
I just pulled out 1 of the 4 return fuel hoses and there is fuel coming out when i crank the engine.

Last edited:

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
You're not gonna like this, but...

There is no mechanical reason messing with the heater core would cause a no start, unless you drained the coolant, started the engine without refilling, and ran it until it seized.

So, we're looking at an electrical problem. Easy first: check the fuel cutoff solenoid on the injection pump for 12v when you turn they key to run. If that's not it, then you'll need to be able to get to every wire and connector that was or could have been moved, and see if there is anything unplugged, rubbed through, pinched, cut, insulation abraded, etc. etc. etc.

Long, tedious, and detailed, and a general PIA. But IMO, that is what it will take to track down whatever got unplugged and now will not allow the engine to start.

Pcar993

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000 White
There is no mechanical reason messing with the heater core would cause a no start, unless you drained the coolant, started the engine without refilling, and ran it until it seized.

So, we're looking at an electrical problem. Easy first: check the fuel cutoff solenoid on the injection pump for 12v when you turn they key to run. If that's not it, then you'll need to be able to get to every wire and connector that was or could have been moved, and see if there is anything unplugged, rubbed through, pinched, cut, insulation abraded, etc. etc. etc.

Long, tedious, and detailed, and a general PIA. But IMO, that is what it will take to track down whatever got unplugged and now will not allow the engine to start.
I just pulled out 1 of the 4 return fuel hoses and there is fuel coming out when i crank the engine.

Pcar993

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000 White
??? This car is driving me crazy! I cant figure out why its not starting. I took the whole dashboard out again to see if I missed reconnecting wires... Everything looks fine! ***!!

sprstu

Veteran Member
TDI
mk1 TD, GSW TDI 6spd
anti-shudder valve got me once, it costs me an afternoon and I replaced my starter thinking it was the culprit. Turned out to be the stupid valve on my intake.

Also, check the coolant temp sensor for connection, if its unplugged or broken the ECU will screw up your timing.

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
i was just going to state ecu of wire from ignition to ecu.