FS: 2005 Jetta TDI sedan automatic $1500

IndyJen

TDI
2005 VW Jetta TDI
SOLD

It's a sad day, but I need to face the fact that I'm probably not going to put a new transmission in this car anytime soon and it will just sit in the driveway and rot. I'd much rather it go to a loving home where someone will put a little time and money into her and get her back on the road again.
If you think my price is too high, let me know. I'm trying to balance the fact that it does need a new transmission and has a lot of miles, with it otherwise being in great shape. I'm not trying to rip anyone off, but also want to get a fair price, so I'm sure we can decide on an amount we can both live with.
Right now, it's sitting in the driveway with two flat tires and a dead battery, dusty from not being driven (you'll see in the pics). It's breaking my heart. Last time I drove it (in December) it needed about 20 minutes to warm up, then would drive fine, only occasionally dying at stop lights and needing to be restarted. I plan to clean it up, fix the tires, charge the battery and take it for a drive to clear the cobwebs ASAP.
Here's what I know off the top of my head (I do have most of the maintenance and service records, though. Just need to dig them out.)
-- This is a one-owner (me) vehicle, non-smoker.
-- 235,330 miles.
-- ALWAYS had regularly scheduled maintenance.
-- Kept in the garage the first six years.
-- Serviced at Royal on the Eastside in Bloomington, IN, the first six years (where it was purchased new); Falcone VW-Subaru in Indianapolis since then.
-- About two years ago, had a local VW mechanic flush the transmission.
-- Interior and body are in great shape. Never wrecked. Minor scratches and dings. Leather interior, floor mats, carpeting is all in great condition.
-- Everything works (AC, heat, power windows, sunroof, CD player) except the cassette player (do people still own cassettes?).
-- After market window tint and SiriusXM radio installed by Ziebart. Both still in great condition. Undercoating also by Ziebart.
You pick up in Indianapolis, or we could arrange shipping, but you would need to cover the costs.
View pics here (Trying to share a Dropbox folder, but I'm not sure it's going to work.):

Last edited:

IndyJen

TDI
2005 VW Jetta TDI
No one has really been able to tell me exactly what is wrong with the transmission except that it is "going out."

It has to sit 20-30 minutes (in the winter) to warm up before driving or it will keep dying. If I take off too soon, it will die the first time I have to stop at a stop sign or light. Once it's warmed up, it drives great. I've even driven it the 100 miles to my parents' house and back with no issues.

The dealer and the VW mechanic who flushed the transmission two years ago told me it could run like this for years. It's just not quite reliable enough for me to drive around with my daughter, and as much as I'd like to, I know I'm not going to put a new transmission in it anytime soon.

If you have more specific questions, let me know. It has been a while since a mechanic looked at it, so I can't remember all the specifics. I know I left with the impression that I'd need to get a new transmission. I'm hoping during this upcoming long weekend to pull out the service records and get it cleaned up. I'll update with more details as soon as I can.

Last edited:

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Perhaps the car dies while the engine is cold due to a faulty EGR valve (sticking open, flooding the engine with too much exhaust, chocking it).

bajaONE

TDI
2001 and 2003 Jetta ALH; 2016 golf Sportwagon TDI SEL
Any chance you know how long did you have to wait in the summer?

I have a extra automatic trans down here looking for a car to put it in.