Is there anyway to listen to the radio without.....

elro

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 GSW TDI Highline Candy White DSG RNS315 Tint 18" Interlagos
I have the RNS315 and it bugs me that I can't listen to the radio without leaving the engine running. This is my first TDI and in every other car that I've every had, there has always been an accessory position on the ignition switch. Am I missing something or is that the way it is?:mad:

numl0ck

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Don't know about the 315s, but on the RCD510 you can just push the power/volume button on the radio and it will remain on for 30 minutes before shutting itself off. Then just push the button for another 30 minutes of listening. This method lets me know how long I've been working on my car. ;)

i64w2gohome

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
After having the 2011 Golf TDI for a few weeks, I discovered I could pull the keys, turn on the radio and have ~30 minutes of listening. It's mentioned in the owner's manual, too.

elro

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you for the info, I'll give it a try. I looked through the manual, but I must have missed it.

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
For seemingly ages now VW's haven't turned the radio off until the key was actually pulled out of the ignition. So, you could shut off the ignition and all other electrical consumers and leave the radio on. When you were done, pull the key out of the ignition and then the radio would go off. However, beginning with the '09 MY, and only with the RNS-510 navigation, the radio would shut off immediately after turning the ignition off. The standard radio was not affected by this new "feature." Recoding the instrument cluster to UK-spec with VAG-COM brought back the ability to leave the RNS-510 on until the key was pulled out of the ignition. I think this works on '10 cars, too. I am unsure if it works on the '11 cars, however.

elro

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for your help. Turned the car off, radio shut down, pulled the keys out of the ignition, pushed the radio button on again and THE RADIO CAME BACK ON..."Great!".

Now at least I can sit in the car and listen to some tunes, while waiting for my wife.

StoBro2

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
You may not have to pull the key out. With my 2010 JSW with the RCD510, you can switch off the car and then hit the radio power button. It works for me every time I have to sit and wait for a mile-long train to pass.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
For seemingly ages now VW's haven't turned the radio off until the key was actually pulled out of the ignition. So, you could shut off the ignition and all other electrical consumers and leave the radio on. When you were done, pull the key out of the ignition and then the radio would go off. However, beginning with the '09 MY, and only with the RNS-510 navigation, the radio would shut off immediately after turning the ignition off. The standard radio was not affected by this new "feature." Recoding the instrument cluster to UK-spec with VAG-COM brought back the ability to leave the RNS-510 on until the key was pulled out of the ignition. I think this works on '10 cars, too. I am unsure if it works on the '11 cars, however.
totally annoyed at how music gets cut along with the engine, unlike on our '01... buzzkill city! even if you hit the power button as you cut engine, there's a 1 second "skip":mad:
thnks for the tip, Pelican - i'm definitely adding this to my VAG-COM wishlist.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
What else does UK cluster coding do? I'm guessing it changes the units to British. Any other cool functions?

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
What else does UK cluster coding do? I'm guessing it changes the units to British. Any other cool functions?
Yes, "tire" becomes "tyre," haha! You can still set the time to 12h and units of measure to U.S. via the MFD. Other than that, there really isn't anything obvious that it changes. It does allow some interesting coding options like the ability to have your fog lights remain on when the high beams are on. Also, on the MkV cars with OE-fitted HIDs, it enables the inner halogen high beams in addition to the HID high beams. That is impressive and I liken it to driving around with giant spot lights on the front of the car when the high beams are on.

bora2003

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 5-speed; 2009 Jetta TDI 6-spd; 2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen; 2015 Golf TDI SE - Manual 6spd; 2012 Jetta TDI
I think this works on '10 cars, too. I am unsure if it works on the '11 cars, however.
Well, I couldn't get it to work with my '10 JSW. Tried the ROW and Germany settings, too! Darn.

numl0ck

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
^ I've been running the UK cluster for two weeks now and I have dug through the VCDS again and again looking at settings to no avail. I'm not sure if I'll change it back to the US spec, but I think the 10's and 11's don't have this ability. :(

vwlogue

Veteran Member
TDI
7th VW: 2011 SportWagen TDI & 6th: 2000 Golf TDI
Dang! I'm disappointed that there isn't a work around to this in our cars. If Euro models still work the old way, why can't ours? :(

Such a a minor thing, but can be quite annoying. The old way allows me to get there, shut the engine off and continue to listen without any interruption until I'm ready to leave the car and pull the key out.