no maintenece history. what maintenance needed?

wnytdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
I bought a CPO (certified preowned), 2000 Jetta automatic transmission, now with 92000 miles, two years ago and my warranty is expired. Check engine light came on today for the first time (of course after the warranty was expired!).
I don't have any maintenance history of the vehicle, but I did change the timing belt, all brakes, and brake fluids.
My question is what parts do you recommend replacing/checking for the vehicle. I want to keep my car in top shape and order the parts all together from a store.

Plus, beside the check engine light problem, what other parts do you recommend check or replace for my jetta with 92000 miles without any previous maitenance history?

Thanks.

cosmic

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Silver Arrow
warranty expired. what maintenance do you suggest?

How old is the vehicle? How many miles? Which vehicle is it? Would need to know these things to point out what might be worthwhile.

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
Re: warranty expired. what maintenance do you sugg

You should have the DTC codes pulled with a VAG-COM to see what the ECU is detecting. The most common codes I have run into relate to glow plug problems and are usually easy to fix, but without the codes you could waste a lot of time "fixing" things that are not broken.

wnytdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
warranty expired. what maintenance do you suggest?

The vehicle info is in my signature.
Any way mine is Jetta GL 2000, 92000 Miles.

Thanks.

ofhs93

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 99.5, Silver
Find a local club member with Vag-Com as was suggested above....blindly checking and replacing things to remedy a CEL is no fun at all. Find out the error code and work from there.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Supposedly Autozone will read the code for you free. Maybe Advance does this too, but I'm not sure. Hopefully the code will translate ok.

I'm in Albany, but that's a heck of a long drive.

WASHMO

TDI
None any more.
With an unknown history I would definitely check the "snow screen". I cut mine out with a knife since that was the tdiclub recommended procedure back in 2000. Now they would probably say just clean it.

The service manual recommends:

Fuel filter every 20k miles.
Cabin pollen filter every 20k miles.
Engine oil and filter every 10k miles.

Engine air filter I would change at least annually though I don't have the manual in front of me.

You might want to consider installing one of the crankcase ventilation filters out there to at least help reduce clogging of the intake manifold. I've heard that Stanco no longer sells the "Old Navy CCV" filter, but you can do a search for it and find a lot of information on it and other options.

At that many miles it may need a Mass Airflow sensor (MAF) soon but of course do a search for MAF and follow the testing procedure before spending the $90 or so.

wnytdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
Re: no maintenece history. what maintenance needed

Thanks WASHMO.

Do I need to replace any fluids such as Tran Oil, steering fluid, or Antifreeze?

When should (or how often) do I need to change Tran Oil filter?

Any hoses I need to be concered about?

WASHMO

TDI
None any more.

No problem, WNYTDI

If I remember to check the manual tonight I can PM you on the auto trans fluid and filter tomorrow. My 2000 Golf GL TDI is a manual so I didn't take note.

I've never heard of changing the power steering fluid unless there was a problem.

I believe the G12 coolant is a very long life fluid. I'll check the manual.

At 123k miles and 5.5 years I still have the original coolant hoses. I can't remember seeing any posts about them. The general rule for any car is to keep a close eye on them after 5 years. Replace if concerned.

The hoses I have replaced are the little fuel injector overflow hoses that loop from injector to injector and #4 injector to the fuel pump. They start to deteriorate after a few years. The hose can be ordered by the foot.

wnytdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL

Thanks, very informative.

Since I'm not getting any answers from another post, I should ask you.

My Accessory Belt tensioner (for serpentine or v-belt) is leaking black fluid from its damper boot(looks like black hydraulic arm). Should I replace it?