When is the time to buy a post-emissions TDI?

GoodOak

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportswagen
I'd like to once again be the owner of a TDI SportsWagen, but at the moment cash is a little tight.

I'm wondering how far VW is through the process of refitting these cars? Can I wait a while and still find them available to buy in 3 months or 6 months?

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I watched these CPO'S for quite awhile. The price has recently been falling. I think its due to the low mile/newer TDI's drying up. IMO its the perfect time to still find a lower mile/good $. Soon just the high miler/undesireables will be left.

In February I found my CPO 2011 6m, pano, nav. with 69k for $10k out the door. It had been on the lot 1 mo. they lowered the price to $10,900. I phone call offered $10 OTD and they took it.

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
I bought an '11 JSW MT 3 weeks ago, 55K, non-VW dealer. Paid 9500. I am thrilled with it, so far. MTs seem to be bringing a premium. Dealers have tons of DSGs. If you want a DSG, beat'em down!!!!!

Good luck!

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I bought an '11 JSW MT 3 weeks ago, 55K, non-VW dealer. Paid 9500. I am thrilled with it, so far. MTs seem to be bringing a premium. Dealers have tons of DSGs. If you want a DSG, beat'em down!!!!!

Good luck!
x2
Look for low mile or documented 40k serviced only (if your looking for dsg).

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
I'm curious to see where the sweet spot on buy vs wait is as well - we would probably need some more insight on people who know where the various storage lots are to go see whats if anything is still sitting around. Once VW finishes auctioning off all the stored cars that is going to be all she wrote for a healthy used supply of the last TDI's.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
I'm curious to see where the sweet spot on buy vs wait is as well - we would probably need some more insight on people who know where the various storage lots are to go see whats if anything is still sitting around. Once VW finishes auctioning off all the stored cars that is going to be all she wrote for a healthy used supply of the last TDI's.
VW had them stored here about 30 miles from where I live. I was told that there were roughly a thousand of them and that as of last week they were roughly half way through them. Every used car lot within a couple hundred miles is buying them at the auction and selling them. They crushed even more of them. I was going to the junkyard to get parts for an old 80's project truck, and every time I went there for months they were hauling in truckloads of TDI's to be crushed.

In any case, I think it's a good time to buy one. They're selling like hotcakes here...especially the ones with a few miles on them (because they're cheap). I paid a little more than average for my Golf because it was really low mileage (17k) and had documented dealer services.

Only problem is...at least here, of the 20 or so I looked at, every one of them was full of scratches and paint chips.

Fogcat

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
I bought a 2011 with about 80K. Full service package..(brakes, oil, fuel filter, DSG, tires, etc...) It is immaculate, they even threw in new fitted floor mats. Nav....so far its wonderful. They had 115 of them on hand including some gassers...85 were TDI. Selling rather quickly.

Mateo92807

TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDI/2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I picked mine up earlier this month for $8,100 at auction. Had around 50K miles. Had to spend another $200 on a new battery and had it towed, so closer to $8,500 when all was said and done. I'm seeing them in the $10K range here from anywhere between 40-60K miles. Not bad.

Jboogaloo

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Process seems to be going fairly quick from my limited knowledge. I just picked mine up the other day. It had the second part of the diesel issue done while I was waiting to pick it up (paperwork included in my sale prior and post sale work checklist). I nabbed a 2012, 62k, DSG, with ALL CPO paperwork, Nav/touchscreen, completely detailed and bumper redone (cosmetic issue) all with an unlimited mileage bumper to bumper warranty for 2yrs starting from Saturday when purchased for 11K out the door.

I'm happy with it considering the mileage and clean carfax :D

Also, I'm happy to be back owning a VW again. I sold my 2008 Tiguan in 2015 and I've missed the community

wagon92x

TDI
2014 JSW 6MT, Non-TDI: 2006 Saabaru Aero 5MT
I have been watching this market for a few months now, and have been wondering when the right time would be. One of the main things that I have been looking at on the Carfax's is how long the car had been sitting while in VW's hands. The prices seem to be dropping a bit, but I also didn't want to wait too long and end up with a car that hasn't been in use for 2+ years.

Luckily for me, I found the perfect car, and pick it up tomorrow! Its a '14 JSW with Sunroof/6-speed and 47k miles for $9,500 out the door. The best part about it, the previous owner turned it in at the last possible second...December of 2018. VW did the fix on it in March, so it only sat in VW's holding lot for 2.5 months! :)

slacker83

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I picked up mine a few months ago for 10k out the door on a 2012 sportwagen with the manual and 43k miles. I probably could have found a better deal but this was close and could inspect it without flying somewhere. It so far has been the perfect work car.

nucklehead

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI W/DSG
I got my 2013 Golf TDI in Dec. It had just over 24k on the clock. I paid $13k out the door. It is in cherry shape, almost as good as the 2013 Jetta I turned in Dec 2016. I had been getting right at 35-36mpg, latest fill up was today, got right at 39mpg. Warmer weather, no doubt. Feels good to be back in a diesel. Sure missed the Jetta, I bought it new in 2013, Premium model with DSG. The Golf seems to be a tad more jerky in slow traffic unless I shift into 'S' mode, which bumps the rpms up a bit. Other than that, it seems to run pretty much like the Jetta did, but the Golf is 'stickier' in the corners. The Miata is much more fun for aggressive driving though.

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jaguar XE TDI, 2014 Sportwagen TDI
I'm on the opposite side of this coin. I have the 2011 JSW TDI, 6 sp manual, that I purchased new with now about 130,000 miles. VW paid me $7,000 to keep the vehicle, hahaha. The VW "fix" dropped my mileage from about 41 MPG to around 39 MPG, but I can live with that, and after the "fix" I put my Malone 2.0 tune back on it and it still has 170 hp and 300 lbs of tq. It's great to see so many finding the TDI's that VW "fixed". In Northern California they are very difficult to find, and almost impossible to find with the standard transmission.