www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old April 23rd, 2019, 07:58   #16
dobeonguard
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 98 Jetta TDi

Tow ratings are based largely on emissions.... They can't certify the vehicle for towing if it will exceed the emissions requirements during towing.

Tork Lift Centra have nice hitches.
https://torkliftcentral.com/trailer-...-golf-ecohitch

Last edited by dobeonguard; April 23rd, 2019 at 08:02. Reason: forgot to add link
dobeonguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2019, 05:58   #17
petee_c
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.6ish L /100km golf.... just under 10L/100km q7

anyone getting clunking with their curt hitch receiver.... I wonder if it's the muffler bouncing against the exhaust when going over bumps? I only notice it the 1st few minutes of the drive.

or maybe its the loose heat shield....
petee_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2019, 07:40   #18
GreenLantern_TDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Mid 40s

Quote:
Originally Posted by petee_c View Post
anyone getting clunking with their curt hitch receiver.... I wonder if it's the muffler bouncing against the exhaust when going over bumps? I only notice it the 1st few minutes of the drive.

I had the same issue on another car none VW.
Old May 1st, 2019, 09:28   #19
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM Popaleetus View Post
It’s clear you don’t understand how liability works.
It’s completely understandable why an installer wouldn’t want to install a hitch for boat towing on a small car that’s not rated for it in the USA. Even though the drivetrain is more than capable.
But by all means, continue to be an ass.

https://newsroom.vw.com/vehicles/goi...untry-concept/

omg look at all those liabilities VW is promoting

*See vehicle owner’s manual for details and limitations. Consult aftermarket manufacturer for accessory installation instructions and further information.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2019, 01:30   #20
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

If part of moving that pontoon boat 3 blocks involves a boat launch, I wouldn't recommend it. Ask a friend/relative/neighbor with a more suitable vehicle to help.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2019, 05:03   #21
JM Popaleetus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
https://newsroom.vw.com/vehicles/goi...untry-concept/

omg look at all those liabilities VW is promoting

*See vehicle owner’s manual for details and limitations. Consult aftermarket manufacturer for accessory installation instructions and further information.
That's a concept.

And you're still being dense around my entire point that an installer has every right to refuse a hitch on a car not rated for towing. Especially since we were talking about towing a boat, not a bike rack. IF an accident ever happened, lawyers could name the installer in a suit and insurance is likely to deny the claim.
2010 VW Jetta TDI RIP

Last edited by JM Popaleetus; May 3rd, 2019 at 05:08.
JM Popaleetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2019, 07:38   #22
dubStrom
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeonguard View Post
Tow ratings are based largely on emissions.... They can't certify the vehicle for towing if it will exceed the emissions requirements during towing.

Tork Lift Centra have nice hitches.
https://torkliftcentral.com/trailer-...-golf-ecohitch
I got the ecohitch (2" version) for my '15 GSW. The hitch is extremely beefy. I only wish that the TorkLift design had steel square tubes extending into the Sportwagen frme tubes with bolts accessible in the wheel wells. At least on one side. The bolts that utilize threads in the car body's back steel panel are weak, and the additional bolts are not much either. AND that back steel panel is not nearly as good as the frame tubes in the chassis. But GROUND CLEARANCE is unbeatable if you choose the TorkLift, and the cross tube is hidden.

I installed a Curt 11072 on my 2010 JSW. It had a brace that utilized the right side frame tube. THERE IS MUCH more strength in that mounting strategy:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...ight=fish+wire
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472257

Last edited by dubStrom; May 3rd, 2019 at 10:21.
dubStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2019, 10:19   #23
JM Popaleetus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubStrom View Post
I got the ecohitch (2" version) for my '15 GSW. The hitch is extremely beefy. I only wish that the TorkLift design had steel square tubes extending into the Sportwagen frme tubes with bolts accessible in the wheel wells. At least on one side. The bolts that utilize threads in the back steel panel are weak, and the additional bolts are not much either. AND that back steel panel is not nearly as good as the frame tubes in the chassis. But GROUND CLEARANCE is unbeatable if you choose the TorkLift, and the cross tube is hidden.

I installed a Curt 11072 on my 2010 JSW. It had a brace that utilized the right side frame tube. THERE IS MUCH more strength in that mounting strategy:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...ight=fish+wire
Thought's on Draw-Tite's method then?

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...leID=201531032

Comparing the installation instructions, it uses the bumper mount, frame rails, and is all one unit. Plus you only need to remove the lower valance to install, versus the entire bumper.
2010 VW Jetta TDI RIP

Last edited by JM Popaleetus; May 3rd, 2019 at 10:22.
JM Popaleetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2019, 12:46   #24
Nuje
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 1200km/tank (Mk4); 750km/tank (Mk7)

I don't remember all the details of installing this Curt model on my GSW, but I do remember thinking, "This is SOOOOO much better than what was on my Mk4 Golf", which bolted through the sheet metal on the driver side.

IIRC, this model replaces the bolts which hold the bumper on with slightly longer bolts, so if the hitch comes off, it's bringing the bumper itself with it.

His ride: 2015 GSW SEL TDI with MIB2, Active Info Display, DSG tune
Her ride: 2016 A3 e-tron

His other ride: 2015 Giant Propel SL Di2
Nuje is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2019, 13:19   #25
PB_NB
Veteran Member

Quote:

I had a bit of clunking when going over bumps. I took some thin nylon ~1/16" and secured it to the receiver, I had to test fit it a few times but once I got it snug, I tightened it all up and it has been great for a few years and counting.

Clunking could also mean that the hitch could be loose on the car. You should check it to make sure it is secure. I used loctite on the bolts to help keep them tight.
1999 New Beetle TDI - Bosio 1019's, Malone S4, Skid Plate, Neuspeed Sway Bars, KW V2, 19's BBS-CH, Spyder LED's, EGR Delete, VF Mounts, South Bend Clutch, B&M Shift Kit, VNT17, Custom Side Mount Intercooler, HPA Big Brakes 355mm Ft/335mm Rr, 2.5" Custom SS Straight Through Exhaust, Colt Stage 2 Cam, 3 Bar Map.
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2019, 03:26   #26
tdi_hatch

Quote:

I was getting some pretty nasty clunking. It was the muffler knocking on the receiver.

I loosened up the hangers and adjusted the muffler to give more clearance. The holes are slotted, so there's some room to move it where you want.

I installed mine to tow a '95 seadoo xp - Pretty light ski, but it towed no problem.
tdi_hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 11:12   #27
petee_c
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.6ish L /100km golf.... just under 10L/100km q7

thx guys,

noise is still there... I think it may be the exhaust shield... I'll stick it up on the lift in a couple weeks and try to get it resolved, busy until then...

I don't notice it much after I get over 20mph.
petee_c is offline   Reply With Quote