Brakes for CPO

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Hello,

This is for my 2015 Passat TDI, I bought her at 20k and I noticed on invoice while she was on the site during dealership selling her, brake rotors and pads has been “replaced” and now at 44k its making “Eeeeeee” noises when we apply brakes. Would that be covered by warranty?

She has 2 years bumper to bumper unlimited miles warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Forgot to add, there are some scoring on the front rotors as for the front pads from an naked eye seems to have some life left of the pads.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Brakes generally are wear and tear and wont be covered under CPO.

With that said, if there is a defect then yes. Passat front rotors are known to have issues, warping, etc. I have had two Passats, one TDI and one TSI and both had issues with front brakes. Are you sure they didn't just resurface the rotors?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
The invoice said new rotors. I find that hard to believe. Will bring that invoice and show it to them.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Our '15 NOS after 20K had developed pad deposits that caused a decent shudder under heavy highway braking.

Zimmerman rotors for around $100 and 45 min in the garage she seems as good as new (same pads, hoping that it wasn't the pads that caused the issues) for now, about 4K on her since they went on. Tempted to have the OEM rotors returned down and kept for spares but we'll see how the zimmermans last.

As for squeaks, does the squeaks last only the first 1-2 stops of the drive and then silent after? if so that's normal for OEM brakes and won't be cause of replacement, maybe some lube on sliders or back of pads will quiet it down for a few 1,000 miles but will prob come back.

How deep of groves in the rotors? enough to catch your finger nail on?

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
I have a theory that the caliper piston boots on these cars deform/deteriorate to where they will not fully and easily retract, thus impinging on the brake pad. I think it contributes to warpage and vibration when braking. Like I said... a theory.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
forgot to post this, I had front rotors and pads replaced. old rotors were shot. scoring and all. nasty. went with Fremax High Carbon rotors and IDParts Ceramic pads.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
My passat had the front rotors turned around 46,000 miles after warping them, they had been warped for awhile. The vibration started again around 61-62,000 miles. I replaced pads and rotors at 72,000 miles with oem parts. I am the only one to service the car now, so i always torque the wheels in a star pattern. As far as the squeak, mine does it sometimes on the first braking on dry mornings (more in the fall, winter and spring). If it goes away after the first or second braking, it is normal.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
by the way, what's your driving style for this result of brake issues? I am trying to figure out how to remedy this for longevity. my old 2011 JSW ran on her original sets from Aug 2010 until 2018 she had 235-240k miles on them, not kidding. (Yes I was the original owner)

My passat had the front rotors turned around 46,000 miles after warping them, they had been warped for awhile. The vibration started again around 61-62,000 miles. I replaced pads and rotors at 72,000 miles with oem parts. I am the only one to service the car now, so i always torque the wheels in a star pattern. As far as the squeak, mine does it sometimes on the first braking on dry mornings (more in the fall, winter and spring). If it goes away after the first or second braking, it is normal.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Lots of highway driving, my commute is 65 miles round trip, about 60 miles at 70 mph. My mom’s (formerly mine) 2005 gas beetle has original rear brakes at 164,000 miles, front were done about 120,000 miles. My 2013 big tdi is at 96,000 all original brakes. The passat had mixed city / highway driving until 50,000 miles, now it is at almost 92,000 miles (rear brakes original), fronts have almost 20,000 miles.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
hmmmmm interesting. will keep a eye on the passat. i would say mostly country driving but some stops....

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Replaced original ft pads and rotors at 55k miles as original rotors glazed and starting to wear. replaced original semi met pads with okebono ceramics. Used drilled and slotted rotors for some bling. They throw a lot less dirt than oem pads plus use copper rather than steel in friction material so easier on rotors.