What does this pulley attach to? Engine toast?

Keven

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Hey there,

My Mom's 2002 TDI wagon appears to have had a engine grenade. I'm trying to figure out what this pulley attaches to. Whatever aluminum casting its bolted on has broke and I can't tell if it's part of the block, a bracket or what.

Any idea?

https://imgur.com/HhmDW5j

tdi'd

TDI
2012 Golf (RIP), 1985 Golf (RIP), 2001 Golf
Just looked at a diagram saying that is the idler pulley. Unfortunately I don’t know exactly what it is attached to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
That's just an idler pulley. If it broke, replace, replace belt and drive on, unless it caused other damage

Keven

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
That's just an idler pulley. If it broke, replace, replace belt and drive on, unless it caused other damage
Whatever that pulley is mounted to broke, not the pulley itself. It's tough to see what's going on in there. I don't know if its a cast aluminum bracket that it's attached to or if its part of the engine block.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
It's an idler, the bolt DOES break, assuming you can get the stub out it's easily fixed (if nothing else went with it!)

The usual reason the bolt breaks, incidentally, is that it was overtorqued at some point in the past and/or the idler pulley bearing seized. Replace the idler roller and check all the other items in the serpentine path (including the tensioner pulley) and replace anything shady.

Keven

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
injection pump too on an alh

toss a timing belt on it at the same time

Yeah it was coming up due in 20-30k miles, oh well.

My parents ended up buying a 2012 sport wagen instead so this car will be going up for sale. I may try to sell it as is because I know people can be particular about timing belt changes. May be better to let the next owner fix it how they want.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Whatever that pulley is mounted to broke, not the pulley itself. It's tough to see what's going on in there. I don't know if its a cast aluminum bracket that it's attached to or if its part of the engine block.
Oh.. you're in for a ton of work then, the Injection Pump is on that bracket on a ALH

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Oh, yeah, if the BRACKET broke you're in for a lot of work; it's a pain in the neck to get it out and replace it. The bracket isn't horribly expensive but the work involved to replace it is quite-material.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Probably worth doing. Do the timing belt at the same time, it'll be more convenient to remove the IP. Or you may come up with a creative solution.
Be sure to investigate what might have caused the break, alternator pulley maybe? Or as Genesis suggested.

If it's in good nick, that car will sell for 5, 6 grand easy.

Keven

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
My signature is a bit dated. The car now has ~220k and needs a headliner and glove box among other things. Maybe I'll start a thread to get an idea of what it's worth.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
My signature is a bit dated. The car now has ~220k and needs a headliner and glove box among other things. Maybe I'll start a thread to get an idea of what it's worth.
Please don't, those threads, and there are many, produce only subjective information, not real useful. Sell for as much as you can, search for sale items and kelly bluebook, edmunds etc.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Yeah it was coming up due in 20-30k miles, oh well.
My parents ended up buying a 2012 sport wagen instead so this car will be going up for sale. I may try to sell it as is because I know people can be particular about timing belt changes. May be better to let the next owner fix it how they want.
Give you $500 for it sight unseen, as is. :p
been looking for an automatic to play around with

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
If it's in good nick, that car will sell for 5, 6 grand easy.
A 2002 automatic with over 200k on the clock that needs an immediate timing belt service? I don't think so. If the rest of the car is very clean and no other work is needed then I think that $2k is closer to the mark. Maybe $3k with the timing belt fixed and car running well.

But the market will decide. Post it up for sale here and on the other sites and let us all know what it goes for!