psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Guess I wont be retiring early...

Burnt

TDI
A7
Does this mean they'll end up fixing the other two groups in the 3.0L category?

ujames

TDI
YES
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. and California regulators approved a fix for about 38,000 Volkswagen AG (VOWG_p.DE) 3.0-liter diesel sport utility vehicles with potential excess emissions, a decision that could save the automaker more than $1 billion according to a letter reviewed by Reuters.

The approval, disclosed in a letter Friday to the automaker, means the German automaker will avoid having to buy back luxury 2013-2016 model year diesel Porsche Cayenne, Volkswagen Touraeg and 2013-2015 Audi Q7 SUVs. Under a settlement approved by a U.S. judge in May, VW would have been forced to offer to buyback the vehicles if it had not won approval for a fix.
I'd like to read this letter. If anyone finds it, please post it here. Thanks.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
hahahaha I KNEW IT!

Fourplay, when is your liquidation sale starting? Hope your investors are happy.

Fourplay

, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 A8L
hahahaha I KNEW IT!

Fourplay, when is your liquidation sale starting? Hope your investors are happy.
They'll get paid out. I will too, just not as much as with a buyback.

Gotta swing for the fences to hit a home run...

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
Sweet, I cant wait to tune my Q7 and put the rest down on a camper..

Q5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5
https://www.epa.gov/vw/epa-and-carb...and-vw-diesel-30-liter-sport-utility-vehicles

This implies that its not all software, some hardware involved.. hrmm, details indeed
Also see they approved two groups, the 2.1 SUV with a due date of Nov. 8 and the 2.2 SUV with a due date of today.

The approved fix for generation 2.1 SUVs requires both software and hardware updates, while the approved fix for generation 2.2 SUVs requires only software updates. More detail on the models that are covered by each of these fixes is in the table below.

Vehicle Models Fix ////Description
Generation 2.1

SUVs VW Touareg (Model Year 2013-2014)
Porsche Cayenne (Model Year 2013-2014)
Audi Q7 (Model Year 2015) ////
Software update plus hardware modification.

Generation 2.2
SUVs VW Touareg (Model Year 2015-2016)
Porsche Cayenne (Model Year 2015-2016) ////
Software update only.

Still hoping for no fix on the PCs!!!!

Last edited:

Q5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5
Still wish I knew the differences between the 2.2 PC and the other groups in terms of the emissions system:

Q5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5
they still have til Dec 20th.. just in time for some holiday disappointment.
The hope we have is that the PCs are smaller vehicles, and there is less room for them to work with if an additional catalyst is needed.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
so how quickly we will be able to get the fix done?
The carb pdf says the'll notify us within 10 days how to get the fix done, if its like the other fixes.. software fixes will be available within a couple weeks, but hardware fixes will be dependent on when hardware is available to the dealer.

Might be like the Gen3 2.0L where they intend to give us a new SCR Catalyst after we put tens of thousands more miles on the ones we currently have.. dunno yet what the hardware part is.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
Still wish I knew the differences between the 2.2 PC and the other groups in terms of the emissions system:
I think its more in terms of fuel economy and weight.. the SUVs all get similar MPG's, the Q5 and other PCs get far better fuel economy and performance numbers..

5% of 28mpg = 1.4mpg
5% of 40mpg = 2mpg

The tunes are gonna be optimized for each vehicle type, typically heavier vehicles are allowed to pollute more.

Last edited:

az7000'

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (gone), 2014 Passat TDI (gone), 2014 Touareg TDI (Amazing!)
This is another take...
In Monday’s announcement, the Environmental Protection Agency and the California Air Resources Board approved VW’s plan to remove illegal software in the SUVs, and modify hardware on some vehicles. The 2015 Audi Q7 as well as the 2013-2014 VW Touareg and Porsche Cayenne SUVs will receive a software update only, while Touaregs and Cayennes from model years 2015-2016 will get hardware changes as well.

Careby

TDI
2015 Touareg
Although I worry about increased DEF consumption, I'll be among the first in line to get the fix. It's time to put this whole episode behind me.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
This is another take...
In Monday’s announcement, the Environmental Protection Agency and the California Air Resources Board approved VW’s plan to remove illegal software in the SUVs, and modify hardware on some vehicles. The 2015 Audi Q7 as well as the 2013-2014 VW Touareg and Porsche Cayenne SUVs will receive a software update only, while Touaregs and Cayennes from model years 2015-2016 will get hardware changes as well.

The citation is backwards. It is the older cars that receive hardware changes, including new catalyst.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Although I worry about increased DEF consumption, I'll be among the first in line to get the fix. It's time to put this whole episode behind me.
I'll be waiting and watching...

843tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 Premium Plus, 2015 Passat SE Tdi
I agree I wish they would have approved the PC class as well today to get the ball moving.