We decided to keep our car

joesmoe3

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
I learned just a few days ago, that EPA, CARB, and VW had reached agreement on what the fix would be for the Gen 3 cars (2015). Since these cars have the urea tank installed, the emissions compliance was relatively easier for VW to meet. CARB insists that the mileage and performance of the car is unaffected -- though I note one of the changes is to have the DCG shift earlier in Sport Mode suggesting to me that the race to the next stop light will be slower.

In any case, I called the claims line, and a woman who allowed as how she is in South Carolina, supposedly reset my buy-back choice, and said I would have to re-file the paperwork, this time choosing the fix in lieu of the buyback.

We love the car (I should say my wife loves the car -- and we all know, "A happy wife is a happy life") and hope to drive the wheels off.

Will be installing the FrostHeater brand heater in it next week -- a kit I had purchased before the news of the lawsuit broke, and put on the shelf.

We love the light package that came with the SE, and our daughters love playing their music via BlueTooth, and all the things VW got right with the diesel.

Many thanks to this group. Love may you live.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Good for you; hope you're happy with your decision.

(Parentheticalliy: since you live in Northern VA, why are you installing a Frost Heater?)

armedferret

TDI
2013 Jetta 6MT, 2013 Golf DSG (wife's)
Good luck, I haven't even gotten my offer letter yet for buyback and I've been waiting since 7 November. I can't imagine starting everything over from scratch.

I'd keep mine but it has 130k, is going to need a new clutch within another 10-12k, and the mexican build quality is starting to show (window switches not working, sunroof makes HORRIBLE noise opening and closing, CELs for minor but expensive sensors in the engine bay). Better to just get rid of it and move to a different brand.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I thought about reselling as well, although my insurance company isn't totaling out my car (and by law, they couldn't give a salvage title for hail damage only anyways). I really like my JSW, and since deleting the emissions crap, I've had ZERO problems. Actually, that's not true - I had one fault for the accelerator pedal not reporting a value to the ECU. But other than resetting that, no problems.

I've also met several here in Texas at fuel stations who also said they were keeping their cars, and had no intention to do either the fix or the buyback.

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
Have you seen the extended warranties for "fixed" cars!?! Holy crap is that worth keeping it! The entire fuel system is covered among many many other things. No more worrying about the HPFP blowing up because VW will have to replace all lines, injectors, pump, etc....

<3 the new warranty and can't wait for a 2012 CR fix!

Groundhog1248

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue 2015 Golf TDI 6 Speed SEL
Had part 1 (software) of 2 done this morning and honestly I think the car has more power now. But maybe I was thinking it was going to be a dog and was pleasantly surprised it runs so good. Maybe part 2 will be different.

They did change the MPG number to 30 City 36 Highway. I shall see after a few fillups how much mine changed.

Last edited:

Tiatart

TDI
2012 Jetta sportwagon
Hello,
Has anyone heard anything about modifications for the Gen 1 cars. I have a 2012 JSW and have read throughout the internet that they are some of the worst polluters and VW wont be fixing them due to cost and numerous other reasons. Of course this inst coming from VW. Just curious if anyone might know. Im on the fence of what to do with mine.
Thanks!

TTaM

TDI
'15 GSW TDI
Had part 1 (software) of 2 done this morning and honestly I think the car has more power now. But maybe I was thinking it was going to be a dog and was pleasantly surprised it runs so good. Maybe part 2 will be different.

They did change the MPG number to 30 City 36 Highway. I shall see after a few fillups how much mine changed.
It said that the DSG vehicles will see increased throttle response, but it also said it will not change the MPG figures.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Good for you; hope you're happy with your decision.

(Parentheticalliy: since you live in Northern VA, why are you installing a Frost Heater?)
Block heaters gives better mpg and less wear and tear on the engine. I have one and I'm in Central Va. 3-5mpg difference on a 20 mile trip.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
EPA mpg figures are not accurate. For the 06 it's 41 hwy but I get 51mpg the majority of the time.

dyoung1

TDI
Jetta 2001
I have an appt to turn in my 2011 TDI Jetta on feb. 20. I didn't want to take the chance of losing mileage and performance by getting the fix. I also don't trust that somewhere down the road the govt won't step in and tell me I have to pay for the fix if I didn't have VW do it.:mad: Too many variables for this gal. Parked my Jetta and bought a Camry. It's nice, but I sure was looking forward to driving the doors off the Jetta. :-( I will MISS IT!! :(

usarmy132

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I have an appt to turn in my 2011 TDI Jetta on feb. 20. I didn't want to take the chance of losing mileage and performance by getting the fix. I also don't trust that somewhere down the road the govt won't step in and tell me I have to pay for the fix if I didn't have VW do it.:mad: Too many variables for this gal. Parked my Jetta and bought a Camry. It's nice, but I sure was looking forward to driving the doors off the Jetta. :-( I will MISS IT!! :(
Bought Camry as well about 6 months ago. Not as nice as my Passat sel. And drive is not the same. But you will use to drive it for daily commute. It gets better over time. :)

sohna

TDI
2009 Jetta
Bought 2016 Camry and 2016 Prius to replace Jetta and Passat. No way I will keep those even I love those cars. Returning both in 2 days, can't wait.

nick1994

TDI
2013 VW Beetle TDI - 52k
I wish you luck.

The 2013 VW Beetle in my signature on the side has been a steaming pile of junk. It seems with these cars you either get a good one or a bad one.