Chris Farnham (3193) passes away, 3/8/15

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
this thread has moved past four months old and does not look like it will end soon. I find it quite amazing that a "car salesman" could create such a reaction. I never met Chris in person but spoke via e-mail a few times and over the phone, my parents were looking for a minivan. Quickly off topic, I recommended against it based on what I read from Oilhammer. But even knowing that a sale may not be in the future Chris was kind enough to provide further information when asked. this thread, with all the personnel stories makes Trump's; How to make a Deal (or whatever the hell it was called) laughable. Chris touched people's lives, how many of us, much less someone who sells cars, can say that?

Last edited:

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
Add me to the list of members saddened by this news... :-(

This past March, I took a big break from this site (and most everything else in my life) to help my mom through a sudden major illness (thankfully she recovered). A friend of mine recently moved home and she wanted my help with finding a good deal on a used Golf. I gave her as much info about VWs and she was ready to look for a Golf. The first person to come to mind? Chris. We drove through a few dealerships, and she was (thankfully) only interested in a Golf. I knew exactly whom to call. At a stoplight, I searched TDIClub to find his direct number when I discovered the news and had to pull over.

I, like most other members here, emailed with him extensively on a variety of topics, but never had the pleasure to meet him. Still, I implicitly trusted him. He was smart, very responsive, and most of all honest. When I asked him to help me put some quotes together on a few cars for my dad to consider, he did so without hesitation. When I emailed him for some help on VAG-COM issues, he helped me. When I emailed him about an extended warranty, he gave me the honest truth and a great quote. And the honest advice that getting it from my local dealer (who matched his quote) would save me time and effort, now that is a true mark of a good person.

They say honesty is always the best policy, and as evidenced by the number of entries on this thread, he was a true friend to many of us even though we all may not have met him in person.

Thank you good sir. RIP 3193. You will be missed.

Last edited:

ErikR

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI pk2 5-spd Black/Black
Wow, I've been busy elsewhere for the past year or so and just saw this today. Sad news, Chris was a great guy to deal with and he will be missed. I live in NY so back in 2006 when I got my TDI from him he went above and beyond to make it a happen. I remember at the time he talked fondly about his Grandma. You will be missed Chris.

Last Mango

TDI
2012 TDI DSG Sportwagen - Navigation, Panoramic sunroof
Live in Florida, but bought a car from Chris in late 2011, and it was shipped to me. Great experience. Haven't spent much time on the forum this year. We sent Chris an email a few months back stating we were almost ready to buy another. Now I know why he never returned the email.

He was knowledgeable, kind, and most importantly, had integrity.

44 years old? Horrible.

Hope he is looking down on this thread and realizes how he was regarded.

Cheers to Chris.

Lima

TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI DSG, 2014 Passat SE TDI DSG
Don't check the forum often but just found out about Chris through a friend. Don't know what to say except what a sad loss it is.

He was a kind soul and the most straightforward person to deal with for the cars I bought from him since 2009 - He was our one and only "VW Guy" and quite exceptional in his honesty, service and ease to deal with.

Since our first experience in 2009, friends within earshot mentioning they were in the market for a car (perhaps a VW?), would get an earful from me about how thay HAD to call Chris - he was THE guy.

You have to be doing something right, to be loved by so many for doing what you do - and doing it so well.

Chris you left a positive mark on the world, were one of a kind and you will be missed imensely!

TDI_Rocks

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta TDI Cup Car Laser Blue
Would loved to have talked to Chris about this tdi vw crap going on ��

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI BOUGHT BACK 23 NOV 16. Now owner of 2016 Jeep Cherokee
Chris was wonderful and is of course missed.. Curious though is there any other "Chris" out there? Has anyone at his dealer or another dealer been such a wonderful salesman for new cars, warranties etc?

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Chris was wonderful and is of course missed.. Curious though is there any other "Chris" out there? Has anyone at his dealer or another dealer been such a wonderful salesman for new cars, warranties etc?
No chance of that.....A guy at his dealership said he would but has never stepped to the plate......:(

matTDIesel

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG 05 Golf TDI GLS Auto
I have been away from this forum for quite a while, I am very sad to learn of the passing of Chris. I purchased my last 2 cars from him and was hoping to purchase my 3rd from him in the spring. Chris made buying a car a pleasure, you could tell as soon as you met him that he was a good soul.

My 70 year old father traveled with me on my last 3 hour trip to Langhorne to purchase my car, Chris bought him a VW hat from the accessories department, my dad commented on the trip home that it was worth a 3 hour trip to buy a car when the salesman is as exceptional as Chris was. He really made a great impression on everyone.

You were a good man Chris, You most certainly are missed by all who knew you.

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
JETTA TDI 2009, JSW 2013 DSG PANO
My condolences go out to his friends and family. Very sad news. I got my 2013 wagon from him.

PC Dave

Veteran Member
TDI
Other
This is horrible news. I've been too busy to spend much time online, but the dieselgate news has brought me to the site to watch the ongoing train wreck thread; I can't look away. I read a post from Tomo and saw his sig line and thought ***?

Like everyone, I have my Chris stories, even though I only had the chance to buy one car from him (I'm across the country). In 2007 when there were rumors of a new TDI JSW, I sent him a $100 deposit. The wait was too long, I ended up getting something else, and I never bothered to get the deposit back. I did refer a friend to him for an EOS, my friend loved buying from him. In 2012, I was looking for a specific color and set of options with 6MT, and I was happy to find out that he had the only one in the country in that combination. When I finally bought a car from him, I brought up the five year old deposit after the deal was pretty much done, and he laughed and said "no problem, we'll honor that". Then he called me the next day and said "you have a Honda, right - I just got you another $750 off, VW's giving it to conquest sales of Honda, Toyota and Ford". I had already signed the paperwork - the deal was done, he didn't need to do it, but he did. Talk about going out of his way - he arranged to register a car in Utah (and deliver Utah plates) for a car he had delivered to me in Los Angeles - and he beat the best local price in a highly competitive market by over $1000 (before the competitive discount, and after shipping).

He pinged me on occasion to touch base on an extended warranty; I wanted to get it before the 10k mileage limit. At one point I said "I'm going to get it, but I'll do it in two weeks, I'm going to Philly for a conference". He exclaimed "Whaaaat?" and proceeded to give me a list of sandwich shops I had to visit, other restaurants, and things to do and not do. Talking with him was a pleasure.

When I come to the site one of my first stops is to go to the "Cars for Sale" forum and check on Chris's latest deals. I didn't see him on the first page when I looked the other day, but didn't think too much of it, figured he was busy. Now this. I didn't have the chance to buy a bunch of cars from him, or hang out with him, or even meet him in person, but he was the kind of guy who called you buddy, and interjected "my friend" into sentences, and you knew he meant it. The world was full of Chris's friends, but he just hadn't had a chance to meet most of them yet.

Last edited:

Gumbelina

TDI
2013 Passat SE, 2005 Jetta Variant
So sad to see this, I was just thinking of Chris as I have the 2nd car I bought from him up for sale. My husband picked the first one up for me, and Chris was out of the office dealing with some health issues when I bought my '13 so I didn't get to meet him either time. The world lost a really wonderful, giving, upstanding guy.

wmdunn

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Like many of you when we needed VW info, I would visit the forum, and immediately look for Chris. Today, my heart is heavy and sad. Chris, you were a breath of fresh air ... an honest, straight forward, hard working young man, in an otherwise tarnished industry. Rest in peace, my friend ... you are missed.

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
I've been away from these forums for over a year and have spent the past few hours catching up when I saw this. I wondered why I didnt see any posts by Chris and when I saw Tomo's sig line I found out.

Chris was a class act and gave great service to those he sold cars to. He made my life a challenge when I tried to sell cars on TDI club from the dealership I worked at in Birmingham. Most dealerships couldn't get enough TDIs, and were holding fairly firm to the minimal profit margin they had on TDI's, and here was Chris selling them at Invoice.
For those who knew him, his friends, coworkers and family, I express my condolences. And for Chris-- Thanks for spreading the love of the TDI, and helping people actually enjoy buying new cars again.
From the posts of those who actually knew you, you left an incredible legacy.

Deksia

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
Has anyone found anyone semi close to deal with? I am in need of a new VW?

Email me aaron_at_Deksia.com, Thanks.

Miss you man! RIP my friend

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
SUCK! I hate dealing with car salesmen.
Here are some rules to follow to achieve a satisfactory transaction:

1. Have several choices of color/interior. Low-priced cars aren't "ordered" by the dealers. They get what is sent them.

2. Ask for the "out the door" price. Use this to compare between dealers.

3. Use VW financing; you may get better terms. Even if you can pay all cash, use the financing and then pay it off immediately.

scirocco*joe

TDI
2010 JSW
Well, here we are, almost a year later, and I too am just finding out about Chris. Having purchased two cars from him, I echo the earlier statements. He was a stand up guy, willing to go to the end of the earth to get people into the right car, TDI or otherwise. Always quick with a joke and a soft pretzel.

When I bought my TDI Sportwagen, it blew a CEL on the pre-purchase test drive, but had the guys in the shop scan and fix it (unplugged sensor) in minutes. 68k miles later, it has been an amazingly reliable car.

He got my wife into a new car weeks before our son was born. In all cases he was able to get us the EXACT cars we wanted and always gave the BEST price, no haggling. Hell of a great guy, helpful to a fault.

I'm almost glad in a way that he wasn't around for the Diesel scandal. Probably, though, he's laughing at the timing of it all.

Rest in peace, Chris Farnham.

xny556cip

TDI
RIP
My 2005 Golf TDI has nearly hit the 240K mark and I was just thinking about getting my fourth Golf from Chris? SH!T….
Last time I saw him was in 2013 when I picked up my Wife's Golf,so I knew he had been in poor health.Very happy to have crossed paths and had dealings with him.He made my "Buying Experience" effortless and always came through with exactly what I asked for each time.My local Dealer could barely lift his nose of his desk to help me….
RIP Chris Farnham

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI

One year ago today I took the Train from DC to Trenton NJ to pick-up my new baby.....Chris Picked me up at the Train Station.....we discussed his health...I knew it wasn't good! But he was upbeat he was going to get better had a new Doctor fast tracking him. To Bariatric Surgery Sadly one month later Chris left us....this was my 4th and last Purchase from my Friend Chris and one of his last sales! I think about him everyday and miss him badly.....RIP my Friend!:D

GDM

TDIClub Friend
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 6M, Laser Blue
Rest in peace, Chris Farnham. You were the best car salesman I've ever met.

I suspect VW's current TDI fiasco would be breaking your heart.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
One Year ago this morning the news came in of Chris Passing away.... I couldn't believe it then still find it hard to believe he is gone......I think about him nearly every day...
RIP Chris..... Love you man

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
I was going to post this morning in remembrance of Chris, but I see tomo beat me to it.
RIP Chris Farnham.