Has anyone "fixed" the RNS-510 to be able to view DVDs while in motion?

Dismayed

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL-Premium TDI
They can't post because they died in accidents after they did the mods.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Just keep in mind that this is highly illegal in most (all?) states. You do not want to watch DVDs after dark when someone outside your car can see in. Police will not be happy if movies are playing within view of the driver, whether or not the driver is actually watching.

Have Fun!

Don

TDI_Ryan

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Just keep in mind that this is highly illegal in most (all?) states. You do not want to watch DVDs after dark when someone outside your car can see in. Police will not be happy if movies are playing within view of the driver, whether or not the driver is actually watching.

Have Fun!

Don
It's more for the passenger. I wasn't really ever intending to watch anything while I was driving.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
It's more for the passenger. I wasn't really ever intending to watch anything while I was driving.
I assumed that. I never thought that it was for you. My only point was that legally that doesn't matter. If it is visible to the driver, it is illegal. I actually believe it is a great idea for keeping the kids amused, I just wanted to make sure that you don't play DVDs after dark when others (like the police) can see what you are doing.

Have Fun!

Don

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Guys, this is scary stuff. This is one law that I believe should be strictly enforced.
I think the distraction factor is infinitely greater than cell-phone operation.
Just my opinion, of course...

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I did it. Works great. I wanted it not for myself to watch while driving, but to control it. I still want to get headrest monitors and an adapter to output from the RNS510, but for now, my 3 kids can watch a movie if the two outboard lean to the middle.

What bothers me more about the restriction in motion is not the viewing, but the controls are often locked out. Like, one cannot select play movie from the menu while moving in my Suburban. Cant's see the menu choice or push "play" or "enter" just to start it. So after 10 minutes of forced previews, I sometimes have to stop the vehicle, put it in park, to start it. Poorly designed! The remote works fine, as long as you are in the back and can see what selection you want. Maybe as my children age and can use the remote, but not quite yet at 3/4/7. Not sure what the interface is like on the RNS510 in motion, but I no longer have to worry about it.

Last edited:

TDI_Ryan

Veteran Member
TDI
Guys, this is scary stuff. This is one law that I believe should be strictly enforced.
I think the distraction factor is infinitely greater than cell-phone operation.
Just my opinion, of course...
As far as it coming from the factory like that, I agree. However, because I know that I want it for PASSENGERS, and not for me, I don't have a conscience about it at all.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI Ryan, I believe you, and I would also be tempted to make the change to my RNS-510 for all of the above stated reasons.

However, there's no way that you, or anyone else, can convince me that the driver would NOT be tempted to look at the screen. THAT'S why the law is there.

Hell, on long road trips, I get so caught up in a "book on tape" that I find I've traveled MILES w/o really paying attention to what's around me...and I'm the sort of "aware" driver that routinely notices what brand of tire a car is wearing when it passes me...(I'm exaggerating a bit...)

Sensory overload is a major problem on our highways, and at some point we have to roll back and turn off the electronic toys...my opinion, of course...

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
tdiatlast, the movies that get played in my vehicles are all kid movies, mostly animated. And while I enjoy many of them too, I have seen them many times so the temptation to get caught up in it is minimal. I believe each person should know his own limits and distraction level. If a touch screen interface is difficult to use for radio or NAV, then adding DVD playback is not wise.

Ryan,

I followed the direction linked above. I burned the ISO image with a free iso burner at the slowest speed my CD burner would allow. Some people reported problems with commercial burning software like Nero.

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
tdiatlast, the movies that get played in my vehicles are all kid movies, mostly animated. And while I enjoy many of them too, I have seen them many times so the temptation to get caught up in it is minimal. I believe each person should know his own limits and distraction level. If a touch screen interface is difficult to use for radio or NAV, then adding DVD playback is not wise.

Ryan,

I followed the direction linked above. I burned the ISO image with a free iso burner at the slowest speed my CD burner would allow. Some people reported problems with commercial burning software like Nero.
I hear you. Using my previous statements about distractions, etc., then I suppose the RNS-510 should be deemed unsafe, as it is SO SLOW in response to finger input that I find myself staring at it...arggh...

...carry on the conversation w/o me...(to your great relief, I'm sure!)

tonymey

TDI
2012 Passat TDI
I did this on my 2012 TDI SEL and works like a charm. Now days everything is a distraction in a car, phoning, texting, eating, ****ty slow RNS 510, putting on make up, etc, of course I will not watch DVDs while I drive but I will watch them while my wife drives. Just be safe for you and yours!!!!

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
I tried it and did not work for me. May be compu-85 can do thru the VAg tool?

VWJayhawk

Veteran Member
TDI
It was able to be done on the B8 A4/S4 Audis (and any Audi with the 2010-2013 3G MMI) through VCDS. Problem is with carrying the instructions over to the VW is getting the right security code for it.

Here is a good site FOR THE B8 A4/S4/Q5 ONLY but may give some direction. Again, big part is the access key. Obviously the resetting and such are different, but the VCDS directions should be the same or at least close. The guy that runs it is David, and he is a guy that Ross-Tech uses to develop the new software and find the different coding. Great guy...http://www.audienthusiasts.com/Articles_VIM.html

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Phlfly, sounds like your dealer needs to update your radio to the latest version. I had no problems using that disk in GeekDrew's car last year.

-J

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
Are you sure?
Can you give me a good reason, please. I got tell them why?