TDIFest 2011 coming to Lexington, KY

N4TY

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
a nice trail to ride

My wife is looking at some biking and hiking trails to do why I am out playing:D.Who ever wants meet up with her,or set up something else give us a buzz.
This new trail just opened up in September, and runs from north Lexington to the Kentucky Horse Park: http://www.mylegacytrail.com/
Check out the YouTube feed and map on this site.

I've ridden the trail and it's really smooth. The marathoners and walkers almost outnumber the bikers :eek: Bring your bike!

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
The HUGE Toyota plant is just up the road in Georgetown where they make Camrys. Yeah, I know, Toyotas... I've taken the factory tour there and its worth it to see how cars are put together these days, even though its not our brand of choice. Tours are free but you have to call ahead as they only have a few tours/day and they only take so many people at one time.
Also there is the Ford Kentucky Truck Plant over in Louisville. I think they also do tours. This is where they build/assemble the diesel trucks. The new engines use a HPFP similar to the new TDIs just with 2 pistons instead of one.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Also there is the Ford Kentucky Truck Plant over in Louisville. I think they also do tours. This is where they build/assemble the diesel trucks. The new engines use a HPFP similar to the new TDIs just with 2 pistons instead of one.
And the Corvette Museum is in Bowling Green, a little south of Louisville.

bf1967

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf
And the Corvette Museum is in Bowling Green, a little south of Louisville.
+1 on the Corvette museum. The museum is cool and you can also tour the Corvette factory. It's a great tour, and it's the cleanest car plant I've ever been in. If you want to do the plant tour, you'll have to get into town early as the tours are Monday thru Thursday. You can get more info here: http://www.bowlinggreenassemblyplant.com/ . Bowling green is about an hour and a half or so away.

The shaker village tour is good too. It's about 30 minutes away. http://www.shakervillageky.org/

Mammoth Cave (National Park) is a couple hours away and is nice as well.
http://www.nps.gov/maca/index.htm

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
The following comments are my opinion only, and not meant to be confrontational, argumentative, or otherwise insulting:

This is twice now you've posted complaining about location. If you don't want to go, then don't go: no one is forcing you, but don't whine about the venue. Realize that the crew for Fest '11 has already put a considerable amount of time into their proposal and will be putting in many more hours getting everything planned out. I've been involved in planning other (non TDIFest) festivals, and it's not an easy undertaking. That said, if I were on the Fest '11 planning crew, I'd be a little insulted by your complaints about the location.

You could always submit a proposal for Fest '12 Toronto.
No worries, i understand. I had my heart set on Chicago for some reason. What a great city.

My comments were not to insult anyone or their efforts, and i hope this fest is a success.

later,
Pete

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
No worries, i understand. I had my heart set on Chicago for some reason. What a great city.

My comments were not to insult anyone or their efforts, and i hope this fest is a success.

later,
Pete
Unfortunately the group that were going to plan Chicago did not materialize....and this happens all the time with Fest planning...
I have heard that cancelling the next Fest was an Option....:eek:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
No, you've got that bass-ackward again.
"Cancelling" implies that a plan existed and was scrapped. There were no plans, no proposals, so there was nothing existent to cancel.
It simply wouldn't have happened.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
No, you've got that bass-ackward again.
"Cancelling" implies that a plan existed and was scrapped. There were no plans, no proposals, so there was nothing existent to cancel.
It simply wouldn't have happened.
And I imagine that will happen sooner than later....OH WELL I guess yours and Petes runs will end mine already ended....and I most likely will not make this one either...want to buy my Sportwagen?

Last edited:

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
IThat said, if I were on the Fest '11 planning crew, I'd be a little insulted by your complaints about the location.
Naww. Like a duck and rain, criticism just rolls off my back.

After the bug complaints in Mason, I can take just about anything.....:D

Last edited:

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Have a good one Joel,

I won't be going....... Lexington? 10+hrs away and where the main local attraction is the MALL across the street? no thanks.

DC was awesome! Lots to do around town, instead of hanging in a Hotel/parking lot all weekend.

I was hoping TDIfest 2011 would have been in Chicago. What a great city to spend the long weekend in!

later,
Pete
If you did not plan to go, then why did you bother to post here?

Sometimes it pisses me off when someone just has to put someone else's plans down because they don't think they will have fun at it.

You seem to be all talk and no action, first you go to Ohio Fest and and up *****ing about the "show'n'shine", then the next year you drive to DC for one day and ***** about the judging for the "show'n'shine", now this. Come on, either put up and maybe arrange a Fest in Toronto for one year (maybe you can win a "show'n'shine"), or just keep out of it.

Next time, just keep all the negative comments to yourself and shut the #$%^ up.

MrVermin

Last edited:

eddif

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD Automatic
700 miles. Too close to miss if everything works out.

I will see if I can get a trashy VW pickup ready for the trip. I would hate to come in a Luv diesel.

eddif

sootwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I'm all for attending a TDIfest, but i need something more to jusify the timeoff on a long weekend and the time i will burn driving my car. :D
Pete
That's EXACTLY why I'm going; to burn a long weekend hanging out with my car, and my TDI friends (not necessarily in that order...). :p

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
MrVermin,

All my previous "show and shine" comments, were out of fustration, because that part of the weekend can be a big draw to the fests. You don't have to look far. How many of the TDI locals roll down to MD for H20i? How many TDI's were at Rob's BBQ with Aaron of BB? If they also went to the fest, that would bring in lots of $$$$$ to the club. Since i attended both Cinci/DC, i felt i could comment about the good and needing improvement for each, thus providing some input for the future fests. I have supported those fests with my presence and my wallet, so i can comment. I spent a crapload of cash with the vendors and show organizers, while bringing back wants for the locals too. I didn't go to Portland, so no comments. Get it?

As for me organizing an event? I'd love too but i am way too busy. Hell, I only hand washed my car twice last year while on vacation down at H20i/MD and for the Silver Dollar VW race in GA. Showed up dirty at the shows in Lansing MI, Ypsilanti MI, Dayton Ohio, Charleston SC, and Hershey PA.
So i'm done with this issue, last post, and will butt out.
later,

Last edited:

BrentRN

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have many. Now a Golf TSI.
Lexington is looking like a great venue to me. Off the beaten path where I usually travel so I get to see something new on the way there. With booze, horses, and history sites there will plenty to do outside of diesel-festing.

arne487

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf TDI, '10 TDI Cup Jetta
Lexington sounds good to me. We have two plants in Louisville, so maybe I can expense the trip... $0.50 per mile for a 600 mile (each way) trip would be nice.

PalmettoNative

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Only 386 miles from me...looks like I "should" be in...will have a 3.5 month old baby (if the wife lets me out).

...if so my plans include:
1. Stuffing my face full of Hot Brown
2. Drinking KY Bourbon
3. Punching a horse
...not necessarily in that order :D

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
http://www.visitlex.com/

I highly recommend visiting this website!

Sign up for your free Visitor's Guide - they send you a very nice packet containing lots of info on things to do. It includes maps, too!

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 black Sportwagen SE, '01 silver Jetta GLS, '00 green Beetle
Considering it....
Wish I could take the time off and drive cross country w/ my son.
What a great way to see the U.S.!:D
It would be nice to sit back and enjoy the Fest instead of working my @ss off making sure everything goes smoothly.:eek:
Where's that winning lottery ticket?:rolleyes:
~Keli

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Considering it....
What a great way to see the U.S.!~Keli
It's overrated. So much looks the same at night.
All night.
The trip out is always more enjoyable because there's a 'fest waiting.:D Returning means heading back to work:(.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
As for me, on trips going beyond Chicago, I generally try to time my departure from Minnesota to allow me to avoid hitting the Chicago area at rush hour. Basically, I try to time the trip to make sure I don't have to go through the stretch between the Elgin toll and the Indiana state line during rush hour. And trying to clear Chicago before the morning rush necessitates driving through Wisconsin during the overnight hours.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
As for me, on trips going beyond Chicago, I generally try to time my departure from Minnesota to allow me to avoid hitting the Chicago area at rush hour. Basically, I try to time the trip to make sure I don't have to go through the stretch between the Elgin toll and the Indiana state line during rush hour. And trying to clear Chicago before the morning rush necessitates driving through Wisconsin during the overnight hours.
Had I paid attention, I'd have done something to avoid the South bend area on my '10 Fest return trip. There was a Notre Dame game that day.

ruajohnson

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I am pretty new to the forums and I will be trying my hardest to make it! I'm super glad this one is much closer than the last. Can't wait!

Last edited:

smketrny

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDi, 2015 Passat TDi
Considering it....
What a great way to see the U.S.!:D
It would be nice to sit back and enjoy the Fest instead of working my @ss off making sure everything goes smoothly.:eek:
Where's that winning lottery ticket?:rolleyes:
~Keli
I plan on doing a cross Country trip next year following Route 66, then I-5 to San Diego, Phoenix, Dallas, Tenn.,Maryland, home.

What is killing me is what vehicle to use. Going with a wife and 2 kids makes both Jettas (89,09) tough with space. Which leaves the Suburban or the Dodge Cummins MegaCab. UGH on both of those picks.

I'll have to see what fuel prices are to really decide. May swap some days to make the TDIFest. Sounds like a great time no matter where it is held.

TeDeEye1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI Premium
Naww. Like a duck and rain, criticism just rolls off my back.

After the bug complaints in Mason, I can take just about anything.....:D
Well I thought it was great. The rally ending at an air show was awesome!

And, barring any unforseen problems, I'll make this fest too :) After all it is only 360 miles for me. Considering last year I drove close to 5000 miles, this years will be like driving around the block :)

Last edited: