Consensus or ???

miningman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
So given that post 2009 tdi s got a bad rap for HPFP failures, and given the fact that , unless I missed something , 2015 "fixed units" come with a decent warranty, is there a consensus as to which post 2012 units offer the best value. In Canada if that makes a difference.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
So given that post 2009 tdi s got a bad rap for HPFP failures, and given the fact that , unless I missed something , 2015 "fixed units" come with a decent warranty, is there a consensus as to which post 2012 units offer the best value. In Canada if that makes a difference.

2015s don't seem to be holding their value well in the past year, due mostly to massive $5-8K incentives for buy/lease on the new old stock cars in spring/summer of 2017. It's a good time to buy. I don't think they'll drop much more, and may actually retain most of the value since they're possibly the last generation of TDI ever offered in N America.

It's not out of the realm of possibility to buy a nearly pristine used 2015 with under 30K miles for under $15K. I'd call that the sweet spot. Assuming no warranty disqualifying mods or tunes, you'll have an 11-year (from inservice date), 162K mile warranty on the entire fuel system, emissions system, turbo and engine as well.

EDIT: I see you're in Canada. I can't speak confidently on the prices up there.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
value is all in the eye of the beholder or beerholder

I'd put a premium on a 2015 over any other gens/years, but if it was 5-6K more compared to a 12-14 Passat/JSW same condition same miles, I don't think it'd be worth the extra coin.

Discovery

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
2015s don't seem to be holding their value well in the past year, due mostly to massive $5-8K incentives for buy/lease on the new old stock cars in spring/summer of 2017. It's a good time to buy. I don't think they'll drop much more, and may actually retain most of the value since they're possibly the last generation of TDI ever offered in N America.

It's not out of the realm of possibility to buy a nearly pristine used 2015 with under 30K miles for under $15K. I'd call that the sweet spot. Assuming no warranty disqualifying mods or tunes, you'll have an 11-year (from inservice date), 162K mile warranty on the entire fuel system, emissions system, turbo and engine as well.

EDIT: I see you're in Canada. I can't speak confidently on the prices up there.
I paid 27k for a '15 GSW TDI DSG Highline last winter @ 2,5% on 3year.

I've look around and that's still pretty much for what they goes

2015 Volkswagen Golf Sportwagon Sportwagon 2.0 TDI Highline DSG ,
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks...on-sportwagon-2-0-tdi-highline-dsg/1342129930

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
To answer your question regarding the HPFPs, the CRUA in the '15 Golfs and Sportwagens is a different, "improved" unit than what was installed in the earlier cars that had the high failure rate. I still use a biodiesel additive (~2-5%) to help with lubricity.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
To answer your question regarding the HPFPs, the CRUA in the '15 Golfs and Sportwagens is a different, "improved" unit than what was installed in the earlier cars that had the high failure rate. I still use a biodiesel additive (~2-5%) to help with lubricity.

reports had "improved" units in '12, '13, '14 MY of Gen 1 cars too ;)