Checking the Oil...

munly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI, 5 Speed
Hello. I have a Golf, with the ALH motor. If I was to check the oil with the engine warm and the car has been shut off for 20 minutes or so my oil level reads low. If the car sits for 2-3 days and I check the oil it is in the middle the hashed mark on the dip stick. Why is this? And what reading should I go by? Thanks.

Last edited:

caideN

TDI
02 Jetta Wagon TDI
After running, the oil takes time to get back down the sump from all the moving parts. I check my oil after my cars been sitting overnight.

As long as the oil mark is between the marks, you're good. I believe in between the low and high mark is approximately 1 quart.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Are the drains in the head clear?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
How would you know w/o disassembly?
Pull the valve cover and look, just a thought for something restricting oil draining back to the crankcase. I never noticed any of mine taking that long to get the oil back to the pan.