2015 buybacks, crusher or being resold?

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, but I'm wondering, the 2015 tdis that owners are opting to sell back to vw, will these cars get the fix from the dealer and be put back up for sale as CPO, or are they going to sit on a lot like the 09-14s indefinitely until they figure out what to do with them. I ask since new 2015s have been selling like hot cakes, my logic tells me that the bought back 2015s are the same cars just used and can be resold if fixed

newguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M White
I just heard yesterday from my dealer that they bought two of the 2015 buyback cars. They have to do the software fix then they can sell them as used cars.

The way it works is the dealer gets first dibs on the cars returned at their dealer. The dealer price is a set cost from VW, so if they don't buy it then they go out to the national VW dealers.

No word on the older models yet...

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
I wonder what the set cost is compared to to the bb amount?

... would be helpful to understand come time to do a BB plus a new car buy

With this in mind...

If one does the BB, and wants to replace his ride with a new 2018 VW Golf, the customer might have an advantage in doing a combo buy-sell at any particular dealer(s).

Let 'em compete This is where the owners of better cars can make up for the no condition BB settlement.

As condition was no never mind on the BB settlement, a dealer might-could-should allow a better sell price on the new car swap.

Difference between a prime condition low miler, and an average condition high(er) miles trade unit, can easily be $4,000 - $6,000

When it is my turn, (should I go the BB way) I will shop the dealers for any advantage possible.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I would think they want to get rid of the unsold 2015's first, then start fixing / selling Buybacks. Of course if the market is strong - why not do both ?

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
I saw one 2015 with 30K miles being sold by VW dealer. CarFax had a record "sold back to manufacturer" then Service record and then Offered for Sale. Asking price was about $3000 less than BuyBack amount, but of course this car is not eligible.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
I was offered one by a dealer in Minneapolis. Certified Golf SE 23k miles for $21875

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Just what he said . . . approval has been given to fix and resell buyback 2015's . . . .

hause

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
MK4 Golf Tdi... all souped up also a MK7 Sportwagen on its way to greatness
I'm just now seeing 2015 tdi's pretty widely available at wholesale auctions. Looks like dealers are wanting between 17 and 22k depending on trim on average. Depending on stock I see prices falling but who knows. I just got a mint 15 wagen SE 6M but it wasn't cheap. Great car but features are depressing :(

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
2015 are fixed then sold, they are legal....
Actually had a dealer call me with an cash offer after I had the fix...the one I bought the car from, but not the one I used for my service or the fix.
The $$ made it a "wash" after getting the $$ on the fix...but was surprisingly good for not having to buy a car as a cash offer where he even said they would come get it. Guess they had someone looking for the car I had....

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
oh please, they are NOT selling like hot cakes, what a bunch of bull

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
oh please, they are NOT selling like hot cakes, what a bunch of bull

Fast?
Slow?

What ever the "rate" of sales, they are selling at a "seller's price"

KBB and NADA has the 2015s pegged just under original MSRP

At least that is what I see on my 2015 VW Golf, DSG TDi

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
Here the 2015 Golf TDIs appear to be listed for $3-5k below MSRP, which makes me think the VW discount was probably about the right size to start. So for an S with DSG there are a handful listed here, 19k-22k. Original was $24k with destination and DSG. As more of them are fixed and the initial demand is handled I would expect the shift to lower prices. These aren't collector cars after all.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here the 2015 Golf TDIs appear to be listed for $3-5k below MSRP, which makes me think the VW discount was probably about the right size to start. So for an S with DSG there are a handful listed here, 19k-22k. Original was $24k with destination and DSG. As more of them are fixed and the initial demand is handled I would expect the shift to lower prices. These aren't collector cars after all.

You might be (are) correct.

As I drive every so few miles, I expect mine to have it's value decline at a slower rate.