www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old April 14th, 2018, 10:56   #1
iluvmydiesels
Veteran Member

TDI(s): AHU
Fuel Economy: mk2's about 48mpg, mk3 ~43mpg thats @(near)80mph(-/+).
Default this question is on shift linkage

so my other mk3, for a bit it was having a time getting into 1st, at times, also at times it would 'miss' reverse. so a few months later i lost 1st and reverse. so im stuck, just coming out of my driveway, cannt reverse back to turn. so i figure out, i find 1st in reverse, 2nd is down from reverse, other shifter problems, i also lost 5th. in shifter/linkage.
take it to my guy, i donno, got a good bill for it, so now i have everything from 1st to 4th, and reverse works. just got fixed or (just) adjusted, so i ll see. but i dont have 5th. how do you adjust linkage here? i figure my guy did (just)an adjustment. id like 5th back. thanks guys.
iluvmydiesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2018, 16:43   #2
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

You need to adjust it, its not difficult, its a bit of rinse and repeat the steps to get it just right but trust me, you can do it.
No need to let a shop charge you for something you can do with a few hand tools easily.
im going to asume its a O2A trans
here is a great link for the bushing repair.
works for both O2J and O2A
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=277786

there is a ball on the end of a bolt on the trans shifter tower and trust me, unless your willing to spend $$$ on a part that is 6 months our back order from a VW dealership in Germany, your not going to find it. i tried looking and calling around. the part is extinct unless you get lucky. so dont bother. try and just pack it back up with grease but chances are your internal tower cup is worn down really bad too. this part will not truly efect your shifting gear selection but will make it harder to get into gear, more effor needed to move the shifter to the gear set. Good luck on that part.
Now on to your adjustment,
here is the link. print it out and go do it.
http://www.houseofthud.com/shifting_gti.htm
Also doing a trans fluid change can help a bit but not in the area of getting into the right gear like you have, just makes things a bit smoother, make sure you get the right stuff, you have brass syncros and will be damaged if not the right fluid. I use Red Line (50304) MT-90 75W-90
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2018, 00:58   #3
iluvmydiesels
Veteran Member

wow, thanks for the info, that one link is a lot of tinkering with adjusting, have to try it as soon as i can. my tranny fluid is a-ok, its better than that redline stuff, and its not close to needing change. 100kmiles is low miles for my fluid.
Old April 16th, 2018, 09:38   #4
Jetta SS
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '98 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 48

Similar thing happened to me, no reverse and one gear couldn't find at times. ended up pulling the trim/console from around the stick and finding the plastic bushings were bad. Changed those and everything worked again.
Jetta SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2018, 05:46   #5
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

Just change the linkage over to the newer 02J style - worlds more precise. Did this with my B4V, and would make it the first mod if I ever got another.

The original 02A linkage is like shifting a carrot in a food processor.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2018, 08:55   #6
Matt-98AHU
Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor

Fuel Economy: Depends on which TDI :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windex
Hahaha

I'm going to have to borrow that term. Thanks!
Old April 17th, 2018, 18:06   #7
Jetta SS
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '98 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windex View Post
Just change the linkage over to the newer 02J style - worlds more precise. Did this with my B4V, and would make it the first mod if I ever got another.

Wish I ran across this idea back when I was having trouble. So did you dig one out at a junkyard, or does a vendor have them?
Jetta SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2018, 05:00   #8
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta SS View Post
Wish I ran across this idea back when I was having trouble. So did you dig one out at a junkyard, or does a vendor have them?
You generally need to get the bits from a salvage yard - the shift tower / cables / brackets / golf club are fairly common, and can be found on both gas and diesel MK4's.

The more challenging piece is the shift/sector shaft that goes down into the transmission - not all junkyards are willing to part with that piece separate from the trans.

For that piece it's easiest to find a junk trans and salvage that part.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2018, 06:16   #9
iluvmydiesels
Veteran Member

looks like i ll be shifting carrots. haha. good info tho,

hopefully before i get done with work i can try the adj in that link, in monglers post. looks like a pita, then again having the shifter miss gears is really worse.
Old April 18th, 2018, 17:57   #10
ketchupshirt88
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-42 with a lead foot.

I custom rebuilt mine rather than swapping to 02j.

Took it out and found all the sloppy points and replaced them with hand ground chunks of scrap iron and added welds and did some tweaking until it worked just right... it took an afternoon but I didnít have to buy anything or change the shift box/cables.

my old passat shifted better than my current 03 Jetta... but you had to know the secret handshake... lol
ketchupshirt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2018, 22:50   #11
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windex View Post

And know I'll bet it shifts like a frog in a blender.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing
Ol'Rattler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2018, 04:50   #12
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

The plastic shift assembly on the transmission is normally the cause. I’ve replaced it rehabbed many over the years but they don’t tend to fail again. I’ll bet this is the issue and it’s sasily fixed.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2018, 05:05   #13
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

It is amazing how awful the early cable shifters are compared to the newer ones. My 2000 Golf with 540k miles feels better and more precise than my 1999 Golf with 200k miles, and my '98 Jetta was even worse. If I still had that car I would for sure be upgrading it to the later style. I found out a few years back that most all of the A3's cable shifter bits are obsoleted. I had to weld a broken shifter box back together with some gussets and supports. It was a mess, but the car was a rusty turd and was falling to pieces. The engine was as healthy as a horse, though.
Old April 21st, 2018, 18:27   #14
chrisvb
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1.9 jetta

What i do , is lock the shaft with visegrip with the shiftknob in neutral , position the transmission lever in neutral , then re secure the clamp on the end of the shiftrod in vertical position .
usually i get it right first time but some tweaking may be required.
chrisvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2018, 13:34   #15
0die
Veteran Member

I recently rebuilt my shift lever...all new bushings...

I just put it all back together and installed it....it's sometimes hard to get into reverse and it goes into 1st instead...

I didn't notice anyway to "adjust" the shift lever as it all the mountings and such seemed "fixed"...am I missing something within the shift lever housing or is the cable somehow adjustable at the trans?

other than the "frequent but not always" missing the reverse gate...it shifts like brand new...

just pushing down and to the left it's just not always dropping into reverse with ease...

Last edited by 0die; April 26th, 2018 at 13:37.
0die is offline   Reply With Quote