www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Future TDIFests

Future TDIFests Discussions about future TDIfests

Closed Thread

Old March 26th, 2013, 06:39   #46
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Tobin View Post
Are these cars so fragile that they break every time you get on it hard???

If a TDI can't handle this abuse (which is basically like merging on to a freeway onramp) then I might have to think about getting rid of this one before it breaks on me!!!

I assume that most of the high MPG crowd that plans their cross country trips to drive back roads to keep speeds low and MPG high would not want to drive their car at full acceleration capability for fear of wasting fuel and dropping their average MPG.
Chris,
Here's your new car. It has a quarter million miles on it, and a checkered, if not totally unknown, maintenance history. Go and take it on a 3,000 mile trip, spend a weekend racing it, now drive it the 3,000 miles back home.
If you're like me you don't learn from your experiences.
Do it again with another basket case you've towed home and gotten running. For this long weekend do a 3,000 mile trip with a tow dolly, and 1,500 miles with a car sitting on the back.

Saving fuel during daily commute and everyday use just leaves that much more available for the stupid things I also do.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)

Last edited by Lug_Nut; March 26th, 2013 at 06:45.
Old March 26th, 2013, 07:40   #47
Chris Tobin
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
Chris,
Here's your new car. It has a quarter million miles on it, and a checkered, if not totally unknown, maintenance history. Go and take it on a 3,000 mile trip, spend a weekend racing it, now drive it the 3,000 miles back home.
If you're like me you don't learn from your experiences.
Do it again with another basket case you've towed home and gotten running. For this long weekend do a 3,000 mile trip with a tow dolly, and 1,500 miles with a car sitting on the back.

Saving fuel during daily commute and everyday use just leaves that much more available for the stupid things I also do.
Good attitude!!!
Old March 26th, 2013, 10:08   #48
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 B4V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christoper Rose View Post
Let me get this right..your talking Chattanooga..theres a VW production plant ... your part of a VW owners group ..your talking about a show and shine on a hotel roof...whats wrong with you people...you contact VW promotions at the plant or VW USA and coordinate the use of there facility for events and use of there parking areas. REALLY ... this would be an advertising coup on a bad day for VW.
So you would need a hotel relatively close to the VW plant. Is there one withing 10 miles by freeway??
1996 B4V, Hella E-Codes, GLX leather, EuroTuning.cz 02A 6 speed conversion w/.71 5th and .588 6th gear, A4 shift linkage by Matt-98AHU. 11 mm pump by Oldpoopie. Now, GTC1549VZ turbo by Whitbread. TDtuning, 24 lbs. boost, 162 hp, 285 lb/ft tq. Smoke Free (9/18/15). Koni Yellows and Big Brake 5 lug conversion.
Old March 26th, 2013, 10:15   #49
Chris Tobin
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.jackson9213 View Post
So you would need a hotel relatively close to the VW plant. Is there one withing 10 miles by freeway??
Yup, many hotels and even the airport are close by! So is the 1/8-mile drag strip!

http://www.mapquest.com/#c1a8c402cbd80cbf1e3969d7
Old March 26th, 2013, 10:36   #50
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Tobin View Post
Yup, many hotels and even the airport are close by! So is the 1/8-mile drag strip!

http://www.mapquest.com/#c1a8c402cbd80cbf1e3969d7
Why does that link take me to Susanville, California?

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
Old March 26th, 2013, 11:09   #51
Chris Tobin
Veteran Member

I'm guessing it is a mapquest default for your area... the link does not seem to include my search stuff. Sorry.
Old March 26th, 2013, 11:12   #52
Chris Tobin
Veteran Member

Here is a google maps link... maybe it will work...

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl
Old March 26th, 2013, 11:14   #53
Chris Tobin
Veteran Member

NOPE! that link defaults to a google map of the US with a search box... So I guess people will either have to do a search for themselves and/or take my word for it that there are many hotels and the Chattanooga airport close to the VW plant.
Old March 26th, 2013, 11:23   #54
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Try this: http://goo.gl/maps/lVfxE

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
Old March 26th, 2013, 11:37   #55
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

For a Google Maps link to be valid, you have to click the little chain link icon, and copy that link. (Preferably get a short link.)

When I was looking into it, almost nothing had adequate parking for a car show - you'd have to park cars at the factory and run a shuttle, to use any of the hotels near the factory, IIRC. The downtown Marriott was one of the few that could've had adequate parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
Old March 26th, 2013, 12:03   #56
Chris Tobin
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
Thanks, that was what I was trying to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
For a Google Maps link to be valid, you have to click the little chain link icon, and copy that link. (Preferably get a short link.)

When I was looking into it, almost nothing had adequate parking for a car show - you'd have to park cars at the factory and run a shuttle, to use any of the hotels near the factory, IIRC. The downtown Marriott was one of the few that could've had adequate parking.
Parking downtown is the worst in the area, but from my experience at the Lexington TDIFest, the Fest parking requirement is not that large, even with the vendor area and attendee parking it did not take up that much of the hotel lot.

Obviously living close to Chattanooga, I do not have hotel experience down there but why would we need a shuttle? The VW Plant would be the key location for daytime activities. Then drive back to the hotel. I believe that most of the area hotels have parking capacity large enough to handle their guests, which is all that we would need, even if the vendor and show was at the hotel instead of at VW or the track...

Seems to me the only issue would be finding a hotel willing to have us and give us a decent rate as well as having meeting rooms and a banquet room for the gala closing diner. Frankly I would be fine having the dinner be an outdoor event like the BBQ Pig roast we had at the Lexington VW dealer rather than the banquet style gig at the hotel, that whole thing seemed a little pretentious to me while the meal at the dealer seemed much more friendly and low key where we could freely mill about and talk to each other in a casual rather than formal environment... Just my opinion though. If everyone loves/wants the pomp and circumstance I'm sure we could find a suitable hotel to do it.

Maybe we could even get VW to let us use their training rooms for the classroom sessions and their lunchroom for the dinner. We could have some good Tennessee BBQ catered!!!

If people want to have a TDIFest here in Chattanooga I will help, but I probably don't have the time to do it by myself... Who else wants to get in on it??? Lets make this happen. Having the possibility of direct VW involvement would be great!!!
Old March 26th, 2013, 13:08   #57
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Although I like taking my TDI to the track, and haven't hesitated to do it far from home (sometimes with less than wonderful results), I think I'm in a very small minority in this group. Most of these cars aren't in any track-ready, to the point of not being safe at racing speeds. Sorry if that offends anyone, but I've been around enough TDIs at enough Fests to know whereof I write.

And we are, by and large, a frugal bunch. I don't know what would bother people more: the entry fee or getting 18 MPG on the track!
Old March 26th, 2013, 13:32   #58
romad
Veteran Member

Plus more and more tracks are requiring roll bars and helmets due to liability concerns.

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
Old March 26th, 2013, 14:00   #59
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

I think exploring a Chattanooga TDIFest some more is definitely worthwhile, especially with the Passat plant being nearby. Getting VWoA involvement would be a major cornerstone for the event, in my opinion.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
Old March 26th, 2013, 14:11   #60
Chris Tobin
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Although I like taking my TDI to the track, and haven't hesitated to do it far from home (sometimes with less than wonderful results), I think I'm in a very small minority in this group. Most of these cars aren't in any track-ready, to the point of not being safe at racing speeds. Sorry if that offends anyone, but I've been around enough TDIs at enough Fests to know whereof I write.

And we are, by and large, a frugal bunch. I don't know what would bother people more: the entry fee or getting 18 MPG on the track!
This was what I was talking about earlier... put your big boy pants on and enjoy the car and have fun driving it!!! When you are old do you want to tell your grandkids and great grandkids stories of driving 54 MPH to get maximum MPG in a cross country trip??? Or would you rather tell them about the time you loaded up the car and drove to an event and won the Autocross Challenge or cut a perfect light at the drag strip?!?!?! I would prefer the latter over the former for sure!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
Plus more and more tracks are requiring roll bars and helmets due to liability concerns.
Not a road course race, that would raise those concerns and others as well...

But a parking lot autocross for those that enjoy twisties, these events typically have top speeds in the 25-35 MPH range depending on the layout with the cones where high performance purpose built cars are topping out at 50 MPH or so. The course can be designed so that it would be completely run in first gear with tight turns and very short straights so that a good time would come from smooth operation and good line choice rather than pure horsepower. These events are well attended at muscle car events like the Goodguys show where $100,000+ street rods are driven in competitons, surely some street driven TDIs can do it and have a blast!!!

And/or a 1/8-mile drag race, where speeds at the top end of the track are very similar if not slower than typical freeway speeds. I can't remember my time and speed off the top of my head but I think my speed was something like 54 MPH or something like that!!! I know the bracket class winner had a speed of 68 MPH in his very powerful 4WD diesel truck, this is still under the speed limit on most freeways!!! All we will need is properly functioning factory safety equipment like seat belts and roadworthy tires and brakes!!! If you don't have those on your TDI you should not be driving it on the street EVER!!! Much less to an event.
Closed Thread