2017 Golf Tsi Wolfsburg

Capt. Common Rail

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI. DSG turned in ,2014 Passat Tdi se,2015 golf sel dsg
I've been on a list to buy a new 2015 golf SE Tdi,starting to wonder if that
purchase will ever happen. I test drove the 2017 Golf Wolfsburg automatic thought it was a nice car. Dealers are giving very good discounts.I'm wondering how owners like these Tsi 1.8 golfs and what mpgs they are getting.My 2010
Jetta Tdi will be going back so I will need a new car.
Thanks for any replys

Last edited:

CT_Gman

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Jetta Sport, 2011 Golf TDI 6MT 2 door - GONE, 2013 Passat DSG SE w/sunroof - GONE
I have the 1.8T gen3 in a 2016 Jetta Sport. Love the engine. Good power and torque (it is a stroker design). I am getting between 32 and 33 mpg on average over the last 1800 miles on 87 unleaded gas. (50% 80 mph highway and 50% city driving)

Hamman

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI's, but an '84 Rabbit diesel
I replaced my '12 tdi Golf with a '16 Golf SE. I agree with Gman's mileage on 87 regular. Also, on a long, flat road trip, I managed about 40 or so. The tank on the Golf is smaller by about 2 gallons and coupled with the lower gas mileage makes for more frequent visits to the gas station. This year, the manual is offered with all Golfs, as mine is an auto. Not the best automatic, but it's okay. Good performance with a nice growl on acceleration.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I have a '16 Golf TSI with manual transmission. I've been getting 40-43 mpg on the highway at 100 km/h, and around 38-39 at 110-120. I've been averaging around 36 in mostly rural driving. Concur that the smaller tank is a pain, but as I no longer commute I can live with it. I really like the engine, good torque as noted, decent power, and much much smoother and quieter than my previous TDI. I drove about 3200 km in a rented Mk VII TDI in the UK this past summer and as we got into my TSI at the airport both my wife and I noticed how much smoother and quieter my TSI is.

Capt. Common Rail

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI. DSG turned in ,2014 Passat Tdi se,2015 golf sel dsg
Plane crazy,I was wondering how you like the manual trans.The 2017 golfs in the US are 5 speeds.Some consumer reports have said shifting the trans has a
Vague feel,not a real positive sence of what gear you've chosen.I haven't had a car with a manual for a longe time,thinking strongly about it.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Plane crazy,I was wondering how you like the manual trans.The 2017 golfs in the US are 5 speeds.Some consumer reports have said shifting the trans has a
Vague feel,not a real positive sence of what gear you've chosen.I haven't had a car with a manual for a longe time,thinking strongly about it.
I can't say I've had any problem. Like anything about a car you adapt to it after a short while. The most bothersome problem I had at first was getting used to the wider ratios of the 5-speed but I overcame that in a few weeks.

Sometimes when I drive my wife's TDI I forget it has a 6th gear, or when I drive hers for a while and come back to mine I try to find a non-existent 6th but that's about it. It is by no means a sport shifter but it gets the job done. My wife's 6 speed has shorter throws but the shift feel of the 5 speed is no more, nor any less, vague regarding which gear your in. I suppose there are aftermarket solutions though, if you don't like the shifting. The only mod I made to my car was HID headlights and I have no further plans for mods.

My sister-in-law has a Mk VII Comfortline, with automatic. I drove it quite a bit when we visited her in BC last winter. I prefer my manual as the automatic has a trace of hesitation off the line, and my 5-speed seems to be more fuel efficient based on MFD displays.