04 Golf TDI Auto to 5 Speed Swap? How Much and Who Can Do It?

Tuner Stickers

TDI
2004 Golf TDI
Hey TDI Club,

5 Speed or 6 Speed??? I have no idea!

So i'm getting a new turbo (VNT17) put in on Monday and although it most likely will withstand it for a couple months i feel like i'm going to be beating on this tiptronic transmission pretty hard. Either way I'm looking at getting Manual for a couple reason, main being that I'd like to do some more things to the car performance wise, does anybody know of anyone that would be able to do a clean swap and what average price for something like this would be?

Feel free to post or inbox!

Thanks!

Last edited:

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Do the transmission swap first. Pul the auto while it still works, sell it and recover a few $. Slip the clutches a few times and your done.

amacd

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Hey TDI Club,

So i'm getting a new turbo (VNT17) put in on Monday and although it most likely will withstand it for a couple months i feel like i'm going to be beating on this tiptronic transmission pretty hard. Either way I'm looking at getting Manual for a couple reason, main being that I'd like to do some more things to the car performance wise, does anybody know of anyone that would be able to do a clean swap and what average price for something like this would be?

Feel free to post or inbox!

Thanks!
Is that with u supplying all the required parts?

Andrew

amacd

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Correct, need price for all parts and labor if possible!
I personaly don't know anyone to source all the parts and then do the job. You might want to check with Combine17. Were abouts are you located in Canada?(I assuming somewere in ON) My guess on price would be at least $2500.00 p&l. If you don't have any mods or cash into the car yet, you should consider getting rid of whole car and getting a standard one.

Andrew

Combine17

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GTD
i am in the process of gathering up another 2 auto to 5spd kits. should have them by the end of the week. transmissions with low KM are hard a bit hard to find...but their out there.

the actual swap can take a whole day (nonstop) and thats for someone thats done it a few times...and wiring all goes well.

since 6 speed swaps can cost couple 500 to 1000 dollars more..most people like to do a traditional 5 speed swap and upgrade the 5th gear for better MPG on the highway.

its also much easier to get 5 speed starters, axles, transmissions etc...

bts

TDI
2002 Golf gls 5m
i am in the process of gathering up another 2 auto to 5spd kits. should have them by the end of the week. transmissions with low KM are hard a bit hard to find...but their out there.

the actual swap can take a whole day (nonstop) and thats for someone thats done it a few times...and wiring all goes well.

since 6 speed swaps can cost couple 500 to 1000 dollars more..most people like to do a traditional 5 speed swap and upgrade the 5th gear for better MPG on the highway.

its also much easier to get 5 speed starters, axles, transmissions etc...
Dont forget Pd engines use a different geared 5 speed than a ALH engine 02J 5 speed. 6 speed starters for 02M are easy to get. I picked up a new one for $175. Wingnut has sourced out the part numbers to look for when looking for a used 6 speed axle. But you are right the TDI version 02M is harder to find here but is only one click away from the UK within 2 to 3 days its at your door.

Combine17

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GTD
thats correct, the transmission is different.

The transaxle code for BEW TDI is 02J EUH i believe...BUT the mk4 platform for tdis use EGR, EBJ, EGS etc.....gearing is almost identical to the EUH....i think the EUH has slightly longer gears?

in my opinion its worth it getting a new starter...whether its 5 speed or 6 speed....now a days, every used 5 speed starter has around 200 000km. which is a lot and could start making noise at any time and suddenly just go. worth spending the 150 to 200 extra bucks and not have to worry about being stranded somewhere.

the rest of the parts are pretty much the same.

Last edited: